Name Your TOP10 Horkey Prints

General art-related discussion.
Xander
Art Expert

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:25 am

I'd like to chime in again!

1. Crème de la crème right here.

2. So much of Aaron's catalog is represented in this piece. Home is where the (Midwestern) heart is.

3. Beautiful piece, even for a giant sticker.

4. All of my oldest friends grew up skateboarding, too.

5. Pretty much what Baker said.

6. I love ISIS and I'm still bummed they broke up. I love the subtle split fountain printing and the gold ink really pops.

Image Image

7. Not one of Mogwai's other gig posters can touch Aaron's. Calming and creepy at the same time. Too bad about the stamp bleed, however.

8. I'll never own a Horkey ink, but these come pretty close. I wish Aaron would make more letterpress prints.

9. I studied typography in college and these are brilliant. The 1st Edition fits the film better, but the metallic ink in the Variant Edition is nuts.

Image Image

10. I'm a huge fan of Aaron's black and white work. The subtle touch of color in these is perfect.

Image Image

Honorable Mentions

A good friend of mine from college went on bike tours all the time, all over the world. He was always very meticulous when he worked on his bikes, just like Aaron is with his art. He always gets a kick out of this little print when I show it to him.

So small and funky, yet loaded with detail.

:pint:
Last edited by Xander on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nis
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:36 am

thats quite a top ten list!!! :pint:
hakaider2
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 am

good choices!! :clap: :pint: :drool:
"Is it save to say there will be no Aaron Horkey twitter account anytime soon?"
"Saver than save."
rghayati
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:57 pm

Hell yeah that's a good list
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Time for some updated lists...tis the season.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
Loobaz
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

I'll have a bash. Not done a top ten yet, as I really struggle due to not having seen so many in the flesh, and generally finding it so tough to pin down. Not many new or original ideas here, but I'm trying.

1. Dead Man is always there or thereabouts.

2. Mogwai is just beautiful. I love Aaron's Owls the most.

3. True Grit on Wood. I was blown away by the image first revealed by Mondo and never for a second thought I'd own such a beautiful, intricate piece.

4. Because of the above, and my love of artist's decks, I'd love to obtain one of these one day.

5. WBG has gotta be in there somewhere - it's just impossible to decide which version takes the cake!

6. OTA has to be there, too. Just love this image, and seeing all those inks/OGs of the image just blows me away each time.

7. Naif, as it's just such a great companion to Mogwai.

8. PTT for everything it represents.

9. Dawnbringer, as I find it a bit of a departure for Aaron, and I get wrapped up in the possibilities the image could represent.

10. Could be any I have missed thus far:

TWBB - love it:ImageMy First:ImageJust Bonkers:ImageAwesome:Image
I may never see one, but:ImageWay Underrated but amazing:Image
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 pm

I've tried to put together my list of top 10 horkey originals. This list could change at any time based on what people want to sell me. :lol:

1. Monster Children painting - If I could have any single horkey piece this would be the one.
2. Molted Foal 2 painting - A VERY close second
3. Croatoan painting
4. Midwestern Heart pencils
5. Over the Atlas inks
6. Flight of the Black Osprey painting
7. Ghost of Dan Higgs Ink
8. Converge 2012 pencils
9. Zygomaturus Ink
10. Mogwai Ink (I was going to pick ODIR but I honestly couldn't decide between the pencil and ink on that one)

VERY narrowly edged out - Epoch Ink and ODIR. And I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Detritus pencils otherwise that might very well have made the list. Obviously I'm very partial to paintings and very much hope we see more of that from Aaron in the future.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:02 pm

I dont own any of these but I have seen most of them 1st hand and done extensive research for pictures of detail and what have you. This is my top ten list of Aarons work to acquire in no particular order just a top 10.

1. This because of the colors and the nature of the bird with the jeweled egg. It speaks of mysteries and awakens the imagination.

2. Growing up and living in the midwest I proud of where i come from. Midwestern Heart, the title in itself says it all. It is the king of his helmeted birds which fascinate me without end for some unknown reason I cannot put into words.

3. Besides being a fan of LOTR I also have a large appreciation for birds of prey and dragons so with that triple combo and the amazing detail in this its speaks volumes to me. This and the variant.

4. The nature of this makes me want to smile. The effect of the leaves on the water with the dead bird laying below the surface...I can almost hear the water and smell the fresh air and see its feathers decaying, swaying in the still tide. The subtleness of the colors with the popping contrast of the leaves excites me.

5. More birds!!! With the title and how they are represented in reminds of me of my favorite thing to do, soar and travel on my motorcycle that feeling of freedom is represented herein. Also I have always been drawn to heraldry and old architecture especially the Baroque era and acanthus leaves. They are something I bring to my own style of art and something Aaron is quite masterful at.

6. This piece really has everything. The printing and embossing all the colors, the subtle blood the manta rays, the broken down skate ramp with the old tree, the subtle hint of fall in the air and the storm on the horizon. Its just a breath taker.

7. This is right up my alley. I wish Aaron dabbled more in darker themes and as i have an affinity for snakes this piece stands out for me. I love that it has eaten the bird and the string is hanging out of his mouth. Also the concept of it to me "Curiosity killed the cat" and the tales and mythology of "The Siren" are at play here and both have life lessons that adhere to ones life on a daily basis. Wisdom begets knowledge and understanding both is transcending.

8. This speaks of the whole world of microorganisms which is really fascinating. The black and white medium I usually find more attractive than colorful works especially with this amount of detail. The lost set of keys amongst the debris is brilliant as is the small amount of blood that matches the Japanese typography/Kanji with its subtitles.

9. More of the black and white that I am fond of plus his letterpress work is pretty amazing. The chaotic nature of this piece really appeals to me.

10. Like the band. Like skulls. Like ram horns. The overall dark nature of this well, it just kicks arse.

You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
murdock
Art Expert

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:19 pm

:cheers:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
Vedderman23
Art Expert

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:14 pm

I've got a feeling some Top 10 lists are going to be changing soon... :pint:
punch
Art Expert

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Vedderman23 wrote:I've got a feeling some Top 10 lists are going to be changing soon... :pint:
I'm on pins and needles.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 am

Okay, I started debating this 26 months ago and I have finally pinned down my 10 favorite Horkey pieces.

1. Nesting. My favorite. Beautiful image with gorgeous colors and an insane print job. Deserves all the praise it gets.

2. Croatoan. It finally exists and it's in my clutches. Interesting piece that demands discussion. Gonna look great next to Nesting.

3. Only Death Is Real. It can only be appreciated in person. So many layers. So many greys. Love it.

4. Dead Man. Are you drymounting kidding me? Giclee letterpress combo for one of Jarmusch's best films. Insane.

5. There Will Be Blood reg. Underrated even when it was overrated. More great frameups than probably any other movie poster.

6. Return of the King variant. Better than the movie. Crazy silver metallics scream class.

7. No More Noir. Only a handbill, but what an image. Love the colors. Bring on the giclee!

8. Midwestern Heart. Don't own one, but having grown up in the Midwest, I wish I did. Stars. Ladybugs. Red string. The old barn. That helmet! One day...

9. La Planete Sauvage variant. The red type and that beautiful stream of blood. A silent killer.

10. True Grit black laser cut wood edition with Satan's Finest piece on the back. Speaks for itself. Need one.
murdock
Art Expert

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Love the list!
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
rghayati
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:31 am

RottenAtom wrote: 5. There Will Be Blood reg. Underrated even when it was overrated. More great frameups than probably any other movie poster.
I'd never thought about that... You might be right.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am

Great list, Adam.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".