Fro Design Co Print Sale

General art-related discussion.
BarryJive
New User

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey guys, first time posting. Thought I'd share this sale that popped up on tumblr from http://www.frodesignco.com. It's 5 11" x 17" prints for $50, 5 18" x 24" for $100, 2 smaller ones for $35, or 2 big ones for $50. Really want to get 5 of the larger giclee prints, but I think I might just go with the 2 The Thing prints.

Does anyone know about giclee prints? I see them a lot on the Gallery1988 website but haven't seen how they look in person. Is this similar to screen printing?

ImageImage
APage
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 am

Ooh, thanks for linking to this! I like a lot of his work. :clap:
phriendlyone
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:57 am

I bought Fro's Star wars set a few years ago and was really let down. The print job is more of a Digital print than a giclee. I also got one of their Dark Knight prints. Super bad print job. Maybe they were running out of ink but the black in the Dark Knight was uneven and even showed lines from the printing job. When I emailed them about these issues, I pretty much got a big FU. Never ordered from them again.
It also seemed that they are printing these as they are ordered, which I don't really like.
The tube they sent me the prints in was 1 in thick so I'm still flattening the prints they sent. My suggestion, stay away.
TOXIC BEAUTY Records and Rock & Roll GALLERY located in Yellow Springs, OH for your poster wants and needs! (513)965-1195
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 am

its nothing like screenprinting, despite him listing them as "8 colors", implying color separations, hes just talking about the ink cartridges. screenprinting is the manual separation and manual printing of individual layers of ink through a stencil, one color at a time. "giclee" printing theoretically is top of the line digital printing with high end archival inkjet printers, with elaborate color correction and proofing and intense machine maintenance (you know how crappy printers streak?). however, its almost completely unregulated as to that quality and the word barely means anything these days except via certain shops and artists. what matters is WHO is printing it, ie. shop credibility, what theyre using and if they give a fudge. way too many people printing at home on a consumer HP printer bought from the Best Buy calling it "giclee" because it sounds fancy. or sending it off to kinkos and saying "oh, its a giclee." I've been to professional shops that do really really high end printing for artists and seen some truly beautiful print jobs, but it aint cheap. my guess? if youre buying five 11x17 prints for $50? you CERTAINLY aint buying anything of quality printing wise. if youre buying something marked "giclee", inquire as to who printed it and what it was printed on. youll be alot happier with where your money goes.

...somewhat ironic discussion given its in reference to someone whos aping silkscreen aesthetics in their work to begin with.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am

see? point proven.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am

^^^ Good post :clap:
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
phriendlyone
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 am

For a $15-20 print, what Fro does would be acceptable. But with the $30-50 price tag, they are a rip off.
TOXIC BEAUTY Records and Rock & Roll GALLERY located in Yellow Springs, OH for your poster wants and needs! (513)965-1195
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am

DD is on the money. I grabbed a set of those 11x17 Thing prints a few months back based on my obsession with the film.

The second one is much darker than the jpeg suggests and a glossy print. Okay if your expectations are a cheap alternative to a screen print but nothing more...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 am

I own a few of his. They are nice to fill up small gaps on the wall and you don't need to buy expensive frames for them. They won't impress collectors, but average-Joe won't see a difference.

Also, he replaced a 4-print order that was lost in the mail for free no questions asked. :D
toobs
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

Yea I bought these last year, they are on le suck paper and printed by sht! machines, designs aren't bad, I need to put this guy in touch with my printer.
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:18 pm

HEY! They stole my name...I got "my" Fro monicker in 1968 so I'm thinking I should've copyrighted it...

Bad jokes aside, great posters guys.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
jools
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 pm

"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
BarryJive
New User

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Oh man, I didnt know anyone disliked this guy. Ive seen his stuff in the Gallery1988 shows a lot. And his Avengers piece is incredible. The Thing prints I just bought (i couldnt resist a good sale!) say they are giclee Ill post a picture when they come in. I remember he used to have a link somewhere on his site about how the giclee's are printed but I can't find it now. I agree about the 11 x 17 prints though I don't know why anyone would ever want a digital print maybe if they can't afford better quality.
Frodeezy

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey Fernando Reza (Fro) here.

phriendlyone- I'm really sorry to hear about the poor print job on your order. That is totally unacceptable. You mentioned it was a few years ago, we were hiring out our printing to a local printing place with very mixed results. Our printing process has changed since then. We print on an Epson 9600 on epson acid free archival enhanced matte paper. I want to replace your order free of charge so you can see the difference yourself. Contact me at frodesignco@gmail.com and let me know how to get it to you.

rubberneck- Our digital prints are printed on glossy cardstock and depending on the print the colors sometimes print a tiny bit dark, but it should never change the aesthetic of the print or make it harder to see any details. That should have never been shipped to you. Contact me and I'll replace it with one of the 18" by 24" Giclee prints which matches the colors perfectly.

same deal goes to everyone, if your unsatisfied for any reason with your order contact me (frodesignco@gmail.com) and I'll do anything I can to make it right.

DD- I am floored by every piece of work you put out, huge fan.

jools- That gigposters thread man… What can I say? I was a young naive kid wandering the internet making crummy fan art. Not much has changed but hopefully getting better as we go. That forum is the place I go anytime I need a good cry.

Lastly, I've wanted to move into screen printing for awhile, anyone know any good printers?