Chuck Sperry News

General art-related discussion.
swabie2424
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:06 am

Has Chuck ever been asked in any major interviews about Mucha's influence on his work? As rock star as Chuck is... the nouveau influence on/style of his work is abundantly clear (obviously).

Just a random fact, but there was only 23 years between Mucha's death and Sperry's birth. It's kinda crazy to think that they were merely a couple decades away from being on earth at the same time. Doesn't seem possible. Imagine them sitting down to coffee together and discussing artistic vision and process.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:43 am

I like that thought
Welcome to the sleaze pit
dirkstainly
EB Team

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:53 am

There's definitely an Art Nouveau vibe to Chuck's more recent work. Some of it may be attributed to Mucha, some to psychedelic posters (the circles featured on many prints are similar to those found on a Hapshash poster for Bob Dylan called "Blowin in the Mind"), and I have read that another influence of his is Gustav Klimt (Austrian Art Nouveau artist).
swabie2424
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

I became aware of Klimt in college years ago and have re-studied his work for the past few years after having lunch with a talented young artist here in L.A. named Josh Petker and learning that Klimt is his main influence. No doubt Klimt's work sparkles through via Chuck's hand as well.

I know it may bother some hardened gig purists on these boards who come to Chuck's work from the music perspective, but I come to Chuck's work from the art perspective first and foremost. Not that I don't like/care about the music (I certainly do, and I understand the importance of the connection and enjoy some of the bands he creates for) but my BFA in fine arts just grounds me on that side of the equation.

I was watching a documentary with Emek who said that most fans want to talk music with him and invite him to concerts, but as much as he loves music he wishes that people would invite him to galleries and museums instead. Point being, it's refreshing to talk about the artistic merits of Chuck's work and not just about the facial beauty of his latest girl. Chuck's evolution is striking to me, and I think he's cementing his place in history as we speak. No doubt to me that 100 and 500 years from now people will still be admiring his prints for both their artistic merits and their technical ones.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:53 pm

swabie2424 wrote:I became aware of Klimt in college years ago and have re-studied his work for the past few years after having lunch with a talented young artist here in L.A. named Josh Petker and learning that Klimt is his main influence. No doubt Klimt's work sparkles through via Chuck's hand as well.

I know it may bother some hardened gig purists on these boards who come to Chuck's work from the music perspective, but I come to Chuck's work from the art perspective first and foremost. Not that I don't like/care about the music (I certainly do, and I understand the importance of the connection and enjoy some of the bands he creates for) but my BFA in fine arts just grounds me on that side of the equation.

I was watching a documentary with Emek who said that most fans want to talk music with him and invite him to concerts, but as much as he loves music he wishes that people would invite him to galleries and museums instead. Point being, it's refreshing to talk about the artistic merits of Chuck's work and not just about the facial beauty of his latest girl. Chuck's evolution is striking to me, and I think he's cementing his place in history as we speak. No doubt to me that 100 and 500 years from now people will still be admiring his prints for both their artistic merits and their technical ones.
Very well said. I agree completely.

When I first saw an Alphonse Mucha print in, my first thought was Bob Masse. The cycle continues.

..and because we are talking Klimt..I quickly took some shots of my wall with my not very good ipad cam to share. While others might disagree it was framed using reflective glass. As the picture hangs opposite a window that gives great sky views I find the sky often reflected in the glass...I feel making the print more dynamic. Usually I use non reflective but I have to say if you have a spot that might reflect some outside beauty...you might want to consider .

electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:09 pm

swabie2424 wrote:I became aware of Klimt in college years ago and have re-studied his work for the past few years after having lunch with a talented young artist here in L.A. named Josh Petker and learning that Klimt is his main influence. No doubt Klimt's work sparkles through via Chuck's hand as well.
and Chuck isn't the only poster artist Klimt influenced.
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Klimt is pretty painterly , at least the ones I've seen , so for me not a good comparison
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Anyone have any examples of Sperry sketches, doodles, or original drawings? I've only ever seen his finished screen prints.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:57 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Anyone have any examples of Sperry sketches, doodles, or original drawings? I've only ever seen his finished screen prints.
geezer
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Deadbolt.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:38 pm

I lurve the zombie shrinners
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
MrSubjective
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Infected Mushroom at The Regency Ballroom
Firehouse-Goldenvoice No. 175
21 x 31
Regular Edition of 125
2 colors (blends) on cream paper
Signed and Numbered

21 x 31
Silver Edition of 9
2 colors (blends) on metallic silver paper
Signed and Numbered

21 x 31
Gold Edition of 9
2 colors (blends) on metallic gold paper
Signed and Numbered

Regulars still available at the moment.
greedy21
Art Expert

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Cool surprise drop there, variannts went quick but Regs are still up.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Who?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Missed it... cool eye-fry!
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.