Chuck Sperry News

General art-related discussion.
nobokov
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:42 pm

fallstaff wrote:
nobokov wrote:Now why would anyone camp out in a long line to see art? Sounds like he's become the Kanye of the white flower girl poster world. After the 29th person I'm guessing everyone vomited a bit in their mouths.
Not the case at all. The gal that scored the last Agape panel was thrilled to say the least. But my favorite panel was either the Ostracon or the Kalligeneia (String Cheese) and I was thrilled to score the Kalligeneia. It's easy to be flippant and disparage the work of artists but for my part I know how hard artists work and struggle. I try to consider thoughtful criticism over plain snark.
You're completely right. My apologies, I think it might be a full moon or something. Congrats for those who persevered through the long lines or cold nights to get what they wanted.
rka00
Art Expert

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 pm

ricv64 wrote:
Bowboski wrote: What does Chuck Sperry look like?

Like a guy who would go by the name Chuck
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 pm

bubbie wrote:
mfaith wrote:
cchang wrote:
bubbie wrote:So when one goes to a show opening, does one usually keep tags on when fudge sells out, who bought what and how many hobos those people had buying for them?
There are plenty of folks running around getting information. It’s not an exact science, but helps kill the time as you stand in line.
Well and from a logistical stand-point it only makes sense for the people in line to want to know what's sold out, so they're aware of what's still available to them when it's their turn to buy. I don't know that anyone cares all that much afterwards.
Not really, it is not like they would leave the line once some panel is gone after camping there for days, even hours. They can see what's available ones inside because ultimately it does not matter.
Bubbie — It was really helpful to have a sense of what work was still available in advance. Because when you get into the gallery you have 5 to 10 minutes to consider and select up to 6 expensive works. Many of the archival prints weren't displayed so you had rapidly sift through them. Ideally for such a significant cash outlay a little more time to ponder would have been a welcomed.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 pm

nobokov wrote:
fallstaff wrote:
nobokov wrote:Now why would anyone camp out in a long line to see art? Sounds like he's become the Kanye of the white flower girl poster world. After the 29th person I'm guessing everyone vomited a bit in their mouths.
Not the case at all. The gal that scored the last Agape panel was thrilled to say the least. But my favorite panel was either the Ostracon or the Kalligeneia (String Cheese) and I was thrilled to score the Kalligeneia. It's easy to be flippant and disparage the work of artists but for my part I know how hard artists work and struggle. I try to consider thoughtful criticism over plain snark.
You're completely right. My apologies, I think it might be a full moon or something. Congrats for those who persevered through the long lines or cold nights to get what they wanted.
:pint:
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 pm

mfaith wrote:
KSUvet wrote:Damn, I was really liking this one with the cropped teaser image, but I keep feeling like the ear is too low. :(
Yeah, i don't know. Just looks like her head's tilted back.

You guys at the show, be sure to post photos :D
The ear seems okay. If you look in a mirror and tilt your head back at just the right angle to capture her pose it's surprising how low the ear is with that perspective. Imo I think there's nothing to unsee :wink:
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Luls
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:39 pm

letstalkprints wrote:Luls
It ain't a thread without a luls
davethewave
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 am

fallstaff wrote:
It's easy to be flippant and disparage the work of artists but for my part I know how hard artists work and struggle. I try to consider thoughtful criticism over plain snark.
Agreed.
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 am

maddog76 wrote:
bubbie wrote:
maddog76 wrote:Yes, one at a time. Then they look though archive prints, stare at the panels. Bullshit. Like 10 people an hour. drymount spoke art.
So at the end of the day it is a one big sale and no one who came there in the first day could give two shits about the "show" is what you are saying.
Correct, it was not a show opening in any way, pure sale.
Interesting. I always thought it to be more of an actual opening with artwork viewing and whatnot with prints available for sale.
fallstaff wrote:
bubbie wrote:
mfaith wrote:Well and from a logistical stand-point it only makes sense for the people in line to want to know what's sold out, so they're aware of what's still available to them when it's their turn to buy. I don't know that anyone cares all that much afterwards.
Not really, it is not like they would leave the line once some panel is gone after camping there for days, even hours. They can see what's available ones inside because ultimately it does not matter.
Bubbie — It was really helpful to have a sense of what work was still available in advance. Because when you get into the gallery you have 5 to 10 minutes to consider and select up to 6 expensive works. Many of the archival prints weren't displayed so you had rapidly sift through them. Ideally for such a significant cash outlay a little more time to ponder would have been a welcomed.
Sounds even worse than I thought it to be. Does it smell like sweat in the room?
I was going to expand on it a little, but changed my mind. I will only say that, since it is just a sale rather than an actual art event, it would make a lot more sense for the gallery or the artist himself (financially and otherwise) to make an online drop, instead of encouraging people to loiter for days, even hours, in front of the gallery and probably other businesses and whatnot.
Also, I had no idea the allowance is up to 6 pieces.
Thanks for the insights, guys (no pun intended).
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 am

Luls. It was an "actual art event". It's a fuggin art show just like any other and runs through the 28th. It just so happened to be the opening and they were selling a buncha popular flippable fudge so tons of EBers camped out. No different than a Mondo show anymore really.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
dodgers77
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 am

:iagree:
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 am

bubbie wrote:
maddog76 wrote:
bubbie wrote:
maddog76 wrote:Yes, one at a time. Then they look though archive prints, stare at the panels. Bullshit. Like 10 people an hour. drymount spoke art.
So at the end of the day it is a one big sale and no one who came there in the first day could give two shits about the "show" is what you are saying.
Correct, it was not a show opening in any way, pure sale.
Interesting. I always thought it to be more of an actual opening with artwork viewing and whatnot with prints available for sale.
fallstaff wrote:
bubbie wrote:
mfaith wrote:Well and from a logistical stand-point it only makes sense for the people in line to want to know what's sold out, so they're aware of what's still available to them when it's their turn to buy. I don't know that anyone cares all that much afterwards.
Sounds even worse than I thought it to be. Does it smell like sweat in the room?
I was going to expand on it a little, but changed my mind. I will only say that, since it is just a sale rather than an actual art event, it would make a lot more sense for the gallery or the artist himself (financially and otherwise) to make an online drop, instead of encouraging people to loiter for days, even hours, in front of the gallery and probably other businesses and whatnot.
Also, I had no idea the allowance is up to 6 pieces.
Thanks for the insights, guys (no pun intended).
Haha, no man it didn't smell of sweat, probably smelled of money.

People could pick two panels, one new and one archival (if available); two of the new prints; and two archive prints.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:07 am

Codeblue wrote:Luls. It was an "actual art event". It's a fuggin art show just like any other and runs through the 28th. It just so happened to be the opening and they were selling a buncha popular flippable fudge so tons of EBers camped out. No different than a Mondo show anymore really.
Well a line lottery was probably preferable to the first come first serve, though people argue back and forth on that one. As to the flippable fudge there was an Indiana crew that arrived Weds and then set out to double their numbers by recruiting craigslist respondents as well as down-and-out locals to line sit. The crew had the majority of the 15 allotment of Agape panels locked down with the plan to flip them on Ebay for $4000.

Ken who runs SpokeArt was alerted to this, and he responded by obligating all people at the top of list to enter the gallery one at a time and answer a simple question related to Sperry. If you got it wrong, no Agape panel for you! One such question was: What does Chuck Sperry look like? In that case the dude didn't know, even though Chuck stood right in front of him :)

Long story short, Ken circumvented some of the nonsense and got more Agape panels to others, hopefully collectors. At number 29 an ecstatic gal scored the last panel (of the 15 allotted).
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 am

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 am

Luls. Please tell me dat fudge is on tape. Faces blurred is fine of course.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.