Artists Proofs - are there too many being sold now?

General art-related discussion.
sir_smokealot
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Its only okay if the artist I like does it.
Go tell the women that we're leaving.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:16 pm

[quote="downbytheriver"][/quote]

you suck at quoting and sound like an enormous whiny vag
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:54 pm

ErocAfellar wrote: you suck at quoting and sound like an enormous whiny vag
Whatever, 5-knuckle shuffler. This thread was about Artists Proofs and whether there are too many being sold now or not. ^^^^

Obviously your opinion is "No", there are not too many and more importantly, it doesn't matter how many there are in the whole fugging world - we get it.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

markenglert wrote:
The glow in the dark variant was a run of 31, which wound up being just too dang low in comparison to the regular run of 232... but it was a cool number, so I stuck with out. To try and make up for that, I wound up selling about 19 APs of the GID, and 39 or so of the regs.... I'm convinced I'm slightly dyslexic when it comes to numbers, so forgive me if I don't recall exactly.

Edition of 31 with 19 APs? Yeah... Not intended to offend you, but just seems far too high.

$.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Zukov
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm

I personally wish prints were signed by the artists, I realize that given some of the print runs its a bit much to expect, but for AP's I'd figure a signature is warranted. I just got my set of Tron APs from Mitch, and while they're :drool: :drool: and numbered, I wish I had Ansins sig on them. My 2 cents....oh and IronJays sig is amazingly weird...have no idea how it translates to his name, or to the alphabet for that matter :lol:
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Full disclosure is appropriate by the artist imho. Anything less is unacceptable on several levels. I don't care if it's a regular edition or a variant or an AP or pp or whatever. The artist owes it to the buying public to disclose what he/she is selling. If it isn't numbered, there should at a minimum be an explicit public statement of how many copies exist or were printed. Period.
I like this guy. :notworthy:
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:34 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:
markenglert wrote:
The glow in the dark variant was a run of 31, which wound up being just too dang low in comparison to the regular run of 232... but it was a cool number, so I stuck with out. To try and make up for that, I wound up selling about 19 APs of the GID, and 39 or so of the regs.... I'm convinced I'm slightly dyslexic when it comes to numbers, so forgive me if I don't recall exactly.

Edition of 31 with 19 APs? Yeah... Not intended to offend you, but just seems far too high.

$.02.
My $.02 is that a run of 31 variants was far too low to pair with a run 232. If I wasn't just tying the number into the movie, I would have done at least 50, if not 75... it was my first print ever, so I'm learning.

There are 19 happy people out there who are glad that when it comes to this particular decision, it's my $.02 that counts. Also, it's not like I'm printing a batch every other month to sell again and again, which I could easily do as I still get emails daily from people who are just finding out about my posters.

I suppose there are a lot of pricing structures artists or companies can try out and see how far things can bend before they break. In my case, I sold APs to met a demand I didn't know existed. In most cases, I'd wager artists are selling APs to survive.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 pm

markenglert wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:
markenglert wrote:

$.02.
My $.02 is that a run of 31 variants was far too low to pair with a run 232. If I wasn't just tying the number into the movie, I would have done at least 50, if not 75... it was my first print ever, so I'm learning.

There are 19 happy people out there who are glad that when it comes to this particular decision, it's my $.02 that counts. Also, it's not like I'm printing a batch every other month to sell again and again, which I could easily do as I still get emails daily from people who are just finding out about my posters.

I suppose there are a lot of pricing structures artists or companies can try out and see how far things can bend before they break. In my case, I sold APs to met a demand I didn't know existed. In most cases, I'd wager artists are selling APs to survive.
Did your APs come from a new print batch, or was it just extras you had printed out of the same run? Just curious.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 pm

zombiedictator wrote:
markenglert wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:
markenglert wrote:

$.02.

Did your APs come from a new print batch, or was it just extras you had printed out of the same run? Just curious.
I didn't go back and have more printed, no... I can't see ever doing that.

Do you think I had exactly 31 glow in the darks printed and exactly 232 regulars printed? Assuming each of the hand-pulled prints would come out perfectly, color by color? That I wouldn't mess up any rolling them(gorilla hands), even though I had never rolled a print in my life? That I should assume that zero problems would occur either shipping to me from the printers or from me to the people that bought one? And if 20 peoples tubes get mangled to hell in transit that they will all be fine with a refund... and that i'll be be fine refunding 20 people?

I had some extras printed.... maybe I was being paranoid, but i'm the kind of guy that expects the worst, plans for the worst, and even if things turn out great, am waiting for the worst to happen.

There were some with starved pulls, really heavy pulls, ink drops in the margin, ink drops in the image, etc... it's just a by-product of how these things are made, that alone is worth printing extra. Not to mention the myriad of problems that can occur with shipping worldwide.

Also, that's expensive... and if I'm gonna pay for the printer's time, I'd rather have the them make something new.
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Also, it is a really good idea to have extras lying around... in case someone potentially important to your career wants to see some samples, or if you want to send samples out to those kinds of people.

kryptonite
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 pm

I agree with Mark.

Also: my variant had some ink in the margin, so I was totally glad he had replacements available.
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I literally would have nightmares of sideshow-type problems, and having no replacements to offer folks.
JoshKeyes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 pm

This link has a very basic description about artist proofs, there are a lot more sites including Wikipedia that has great detailed information.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4923578_what- ... proof.html

The model I use is taken from the lithograph and etching tradition which I studied at Yale, it has carried over into the contemporary ink jet and digital print production process, and is implemented today by many artists and printers. With the smaller runs of 50-250 there are typically 5 additional artist proofs and 5 printers proofs. With larger runs, 300 + there are 10 -15 of each proof. Both sets of proofs are signed and numbered and dated by the artist. This model is not set in stone, many artists and printers have different systems and ideas about printers proof and artists proof quantities.
JoshKeyes
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 pm

This is what I have gathered from speaking to a number of printers. Once the print edition has been sold, shipped, and received, any extra or additional prints outside of the edition should be destroyed.
Last edited by JoshKeyes on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:00 pm

i like it!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.