Vintage resources, etc

General art-related discussion.
mfs67
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:This will be my first I do believe. Especially with the connection to my favorite movie.
It also has a connection to the T.V. series "Family Ties." It was posted on Alex's (Michael J. Fox) bedroom wall.
Pezlar
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 pm

jools wrote:
Rick_a_c wrote:Hey jools,
That reprint of the Softs is outstanding. The paper is heavy rag, the silver inks are metallic and the screenprint quality is top notch. I snagged mine direct from SFAL on a trip to S.F. years ago just after they finished the project and were selling them online. The entire series of reprintys are worthy of being in a serious collection.
I saw it on dking i think, sorely tempted haha, but there are a lot of things on their site i'd wanna get - but first I need to sate my Horkeylust just a little bit more :twisted:
I sold all six, I believe, to eBay handle Garn98 a year or so ago. I've seen him list one or two since then. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a decent deal on them from him. Cheaper than DKing I'm sure.
Onward through the fog...
Pezlar
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm

mfs67 wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:This will be my first I do believe. Especially with the connection to my favorite movie.
It also has a connection to the T.V. series "Family Ties." It was posted on Alex's (Michael J. Fox) bedroom wall.
That's my favorite Neon Rose poster. I'll cost you alit, but it's well worh it in my opinion. What a great image!
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Meh... if you wait and try, the Chamber Brothers can still be had in the $250-300 range which is more than fair IMHO. The askings around $600 are a bit out there to me - I won't pay it at any rate. But I will own and hang that one at some point... just have to bite the bullet at some point.

Have to ask though... the reference to "your favorite movie"... is that a statement to the use of the image in the main ad runs for Almost Famous? One of my favorites especially of the last 10 years...
Tra la la la la...
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm

jools/pez,
I bought a good amount of stuff on eBay from Garn 10 +/- years ago. I haven't had any dealing with him for a long time now, but I remember him as a good guy.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Pezlar
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:jools/pez,
I bought a good amount of stuff on eBay from Garn 10 +/- years ago. I haven't had any dealing with him for a long time now, but I remember him as a good guy.
He's a really good guy. When he has listing with Or Best Offer, he actually will accept less than the list price.
Yamar wrote:Meh... if you wait and try, the Chamber Brothers can still be had in the $250-300 range which is more than fair IMHO. The askings around $600 are a bit out there to me - I won't pay it at any rate. But I will own and hang that one at some point... just have to bite the bullet at some point.
SixtiesPosters.com has this listed right now for $250. It might not actually be in stock, but that's what the site says, FWIW.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Yamar wrote:Meh... if you wait and try, the Chamber Brothers can still be had in the $250-300 range which is more than fair IMHO. The askings around $600 are a bit out there to me - I won't pay it at any rate. But I will own and hang that one at some point... just have to bite the bullet at some point.

Have to ask though... the reference to "your favorite movie"... is that a statement to the use of the image in the main ad runs for Almost Famous? One of my favorites especially of the last 10 years...

oui oui
goldenrose
Art Expert

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Awesome, thanks for posting all this information!
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
Pezlar
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am

Here's a good resource, about the only one I know of, for Vulcan Gas Company and other early Texas material: http://people.missouristate.edu/dennishickey/vulcan.htm. Nothing for sale here, but it lists what was produced.

And here's a place that offers more VG pieces than any other place I've found: http://www.limageriegallery.com/category_s/30.htm. They offer other vintage stuff too. (Stay away from the posters I'm contemplating :evil: )
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Can it be assumed that these vendors are selling m/nm pieces?
Pezlar
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 pm

With vintage material I don't think that can ever be assumed. The first link above does not sell anything, it's just a resource to identify the various posters/handbills used by the Vulcan Gas Company. For the second link, Limageriegallery, I always email her and ask about condition and she generally sends me pictures. (And she responds quickly, usually the same day.) Hope that helps.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm

For what it's worth. The user daddywardog (for Ebay and EB) has some good old stuff up for auction all from Arminski's collection.
geezer
Art Expert

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 pm

[/quote]
It also has a connection to the T.V. series "Family Ties." It was posted on Alex's (Michael J. Fox) bedroom wall.[/quote]
I believe there was a FD-3 Butterfield was in the Keatons kitchen, also.
squalie
Art Expert

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Bump
GreenMt
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:17 am

Interesting that the term vintage in this thread seems to be used in regards only to sixties posters.