The Official Greg “Craola” Simkins thread

General art-related discussion.
technique
Art Expert

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Greg is going to be part of an absolutely amazing line up of artists in Long Beach CA on Oct 23rd for the Masterworks group show. Seeing Josh Keyes on the list makes me think how sick a Josh Keyes/Craola collaboration painting would be. I know Josh posts on EB and Craola lurks every now and then at the very least so make it happen guys! :drool:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:40 am

technique wrote:Greg is going to be part of an absolutely amazing line up of artists in Long Beach CA on Oct 23rd for the Masterworks group show. Seeing Josh Keyes on the list makes me think how sick a Josh Keyes/Craola collaboration painting would be. I know Josh posts on EB and Craola lurks every now and then at the very least so make it happen guys! :drool:

:drool:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
statik
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:31 am

This show is pretty much in my backyard. :drool:
drymount your sig!
antiyou
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 am

jesus tapdancing christ that is a lineup!
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:16 pm

antiyou wrote:jesus tapdancing christ that is a lineup!
Yes it is. Nice.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
GmidD
Art Expert

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:29 am

gorkie wrote:
antiyou wrote:jesus tapdancing christ that is a lineup!
Yes it is. Nice.
technique
Art Expert

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Looks like a wood print was made from one of his original charcoal drawings from the Good Knight show earlier this year.

http://www.printsonwood.com/artists/cra ... m-grateful

"Still I'm Grateful"

6 x 9 in. (2.36 x 3.54 cm)

Fine art wood print on 3/4" sustainable Birch, natural gloss finish

Signed and numbered

Timed release beginning Monday, October 20th at 12 pm PST, ending Friday, October 24th at 12 pm PST

$68.00
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Bunch of new stuff up on the site!

Including a special edition copy of his sold out book, signed w/ FREE OG drawing. I believe there are less than a dozen of these total for the drop.

Plus new prints and more.
http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=187 ... 5795c2ee71

BlakeAronson
Flipper

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 pm

damn I wanted that 40x30" wood print 1/1. sold already. grrr
8=====D~~~~
technique
Art Expert

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm

BlakeAronson wrote:damn I wanted that 40x30" wood print 1/1. sold already. grrr
I got a few emails about that from prints on wood offering it for sale but didn't have the scratch for it. I wonder how owners of the canvas version of Knight Watch feel since this is being released in a smaller paper version? I'm always hesitant to buy his canvas stuff even though they look amazing since he always seems to release a paper version later on. I love red dragon and really happy he made that into a print version as it will frame up nicely next to Azul. :clap:
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 pm

technique wrote:
BlakeAronson wrote:damn I wanted that 40x30" wood print 1/1. sold already. grrr
I got a few emails about that from prints on wood offering it for sale but didn't have the scratch for it. I wonder how owners of the canvas version of Knight Watch feel since this is being released in a smaller paper version? I'm always hesitant to buy his canvas stuff even though they look amazing since he always seems to release a paper version later on. I love red dragon and really happy he made that into a print version as it will frame up nicely next to Azul. :clap:
I think it's lame from the cash grab perspective since the prints are supposed to be limited edition. especially for an artist like craola who has so many damn paintings that were never made into prints, I don't see any reason he has to recycle his offerings. That beings said, I do own the canvas, and can say a 10x15" baby print being released doesn't upset me. I think the only situation I would be upset in owning a first printing of something is if the artist reprinted it bigger and better after I had already supported them by buying the first series.
8=====D~~~~
eseffinga
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 am

I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to be getting in on the "wood print" gimmick, and to me it's starting to feel like the art world equivalent of the 90s foil cover boom in comic books. It's the artificial inflating of multiple sales, by reissuing similar or the same items with a different gimmick each time. It may well equate to quick cash for the artists short term (and I am all for artists maximizing the profits off of their own work for sure), but I fear the long term effect may be to devastate the field and interest in it for the long term.

I swear the last week, I've received at least a couple dozen emails for "holiday print sales" of artists clearing out their stocks of older print work. The fact that artists do this is not uncommon at all, but that there is so much of it, and what it is being replaced in their stores with, just drives home that worry I have of the effect of signed and numbered pieces of paper, and it's ultimate blowback on values in the hobby, when they just keep on making and printing more and more of the stuff with little twists to put more product out there. Not unlike the trading and sports card market, and comics before it. Manufactured collectibles.

:?
technique
Art Expert

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 am

New painting "The Gobbler" done by Greg for a show this weekend at Merry Karnowsky gallery.

Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:21 am

eseffinga wrote:I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to be getting in on the "wood print" gimmick, and to me it's starting to feel like the art world equivalent of the 90s foil cover boom in comic books. It's the artificial inflating of multiple sales, by reissuing similar or the same items with a different gimmick each time. It may well equate to quick cash for the artists short term (and I am all for artists maximizing the profits off of their own work for sure), but I fear the long term effect may be to devastate the field and interest in it for the long term.

I swear the last week, I've received at least a couple dozen emails for "holiday print sales" of artists clearing out their stocks of older print work. The fact that artists do this is not uncommon at all, but that there is so much of it, and what it is being replaced in their stores with, just drives home that worry I have of the effect of signed and numbered pieces of paper, and it's ultimate blowback on values in the hobby, when they just keep on making and printing more and more of the stuff with little twists to put more product out there. Not unlike the trading and sports card market, and comics before it. Manufactured collectibles.

It may be partially due to some artists/galleries pricing themselves out of their own market and/or simply being unable create enough original work to sustain their "lifestyle". It's much easier to get some quick cash by putting some prints or reissues out.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:12 am

eseffinga wrote:I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to be getting in on the "wood print" gimmick, and to me it's starting to feel like the art world equivalent of the 90s foil cover boom in comic books. It's the artificial inflating of multiple sales, by reissuing similar or the same items with a different gimmick each time. It may well equate to quick cash for the artists short term (and I am all for artists maximizing the profits off of their own work for sure), but I fear the long term effect may be to devastate the field and interest in it for the long term.

I'd be much more amiable to the idea if the majority of prints on wood didn't look awful. I really don't think the quality of what Prints on Wood puts out is good at all. I've been extremely disappointed by everything of there's that I've seen in person and as a result I'd never buy anything from them regardless of the artist or the price point.

Also, I agree regarding 2nd editions in various formats. I'm adamantly against it. Do timed editions. Hell, have open editions. But once you start reprinting things you've already done limited runs of...even if it is a completely different format (Wood, paper, canvas, etc), is when you start jeopardizing the value and limited nature of anything you produce.
Image Image