Show Us Your Psychedelic Art

General art-related discussion.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:24 pm

peacedog wrote:Yep, great Armadillo collection!

I don't know if you've tried going directly to the source but I stopped in the South Austin Museum of Popular Culture a few years back, Jim Franklin was running the place. It took about 10 minutes of talking posters and we were in the back digging through his flat files for old posters, tons of old Vulcan Gas Light stuff as well as Armadillo World Headquarters. Walked out with more posters than the missus would have liked. Super nice guy, I suggest hitting him up if you haven't already.
Damn, Corey... did you know in advance that Jim Franklin was running the museum? That must have been a trip. No bigger expert than the guru of the Austin psych era.
Very cool that he invited you back to pilfer the archives.
Last edited by Rick_a_c on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Olay cheat, meng!

All pretty damn great, but The Dead/Bobbie Bland is to die fer. Love the inner Snactum illo as well.
just a foil for me today, thanks
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks for lookin, y'all! Its been a lot of fun to track 'em down. I'm getting a couple more today!

And I have heard of the South Austin Pop Culture Center but never heard of Jim Franklin running it. That's pretty damn cool that you got to chat with the man and grab a few from the archives. The center has a booth at the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar and they had a ton of posters and handbills but they wanted crazy prices for them :shock:. I've been fortunate enough to track down a few individuals in Austin with collections for sale at decent prices. There was an auction of Eddie Wilson's collection a while back including a ton of vintage/antique beer signs, the original piano from AWHQ, and a ton of posters that really drove up the prices online: http://www.icollector.com/Armadillo-Wor ... 15_as35026.

Thanks for the tip, PeaceDog! I will have to pop in next time I have a chance and see if their prices are any different when they aren't at the Bazaar. :pint:

peacedog wrote:Yep, great Armadillo collection!

I don't know if you've tried going directly to the source but I stopped in the South Austin Museum of Popular Culture a few years back, Jim Franklin was running the place. It took about 10 minutes of talking posters and we were in the back digging through his flat files for old posters, tons of old Vulcan Gas Light stuff as well as Armadillo World Headquarters. Walked out with more posters than the missus would have liked. Super nice guy, I suggest hitting him up if you haven't already.
geezer
Art Expert

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for the link. That's a whole lotta Texas.
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:07 pm

geezer wrote:Thanks for the link. That's a whole lotta Texas.
No problem. Happy to share. I really enjoyed flipping through the first time I found the auction record.

A few more I got today:

Armadillo Drug Co. card. I buy from one woman who has a ton of posters and a good number of odd, AWHQ-related items (like the job application I posted above). I've never seen another one of these (although she has several copies) and would love more information if anyone knows.

This is another odd AWHQ-related item she had. A bread label with art by Jim Franklin. Here's what Eddie Wilson had to say about the AWHQ making bread:

"We set up the little bakery and used organic products before anybody knew what that meant, and made whole-wheat bread. And all of a sudden, in the mornings, we started having Cadillac's and rich elderly women tiptoe in the rubble just to get fresh whole wheat bread from the bakery."

And a classic portrait concert poster of Freddie King by Ken Featherston. I learned there are two versions of this one on slightly different colored paper where the whiter version slightly cuts off the "F" on the far left. Stuff you only find out when you've got an entire collection with plenty of multiples to compare. If you like the style of this one, I urge you to find more of Ken Featherston's artwork. He was an extremely talented artist and as the story goes, he was also a bouncer at AWHQ when he bounced some idiot who came back with a gun and killed Ken outside the venue.
gordo55
Art Expert

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:26 pm

I seem to recall reading years ago that a few enterprising folks were able to salvage beaucoup AWHQ posters which were tossed into a dumpster when the place closed down. Would be nice to hear from someone in the know, as the fog gets thicker over the expanse of time. Unfortunately, none in the collection yet, but looks like I'll have to add a trip to the South Austin Pop Culture Center to the bucket list. Always loved Jim's Springsteen AWHQ and many of the ones for the blues artists and SW musicians that frequented the place.
THC
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm

gordo55 wrote:I seem to recall reading years ago that a few enterprising folks were able to salvage beaucoup AWHQ posters which were tossed into a dumpster when the place closed down. Would be nice to hear from someone in the know, as the fog gets thicker over the expanse of time. Unfortunately, none in the collection yet, but looks like I'll have to add a trip to the South Austin Pop Culture Center to the bucket list. Always loved Jim's Springsteen AWHQ and many of the ones for the blues artists and SW musicians that frequented the place.
The person I've purchased the bulk of my collection from says that they're selling them for one of those enterprising folks. Said gravy was going to be poured on the dumpster collection. Glad that didn't happen! These would be much harder to track down than they are now, or at least a bit . . . messier.
gordo55
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 am

VulturePiano wrote: The person I've purchased the bulk of my collection from says that they're selling them for one of those enterprising folks. Said gravy was going to be poured on the dumpster collection.
Thanks for the confirmation. It was an article on Austin posters in Goldmine, if I remember correctly.
THC
goldenrose
Art Expert

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 am

Personally I prefer my posters covered in gravy. :)
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Just got another piece in the mail! Original art from Jim Franklin's Armadillo Comics #1. Can't wait to get this thing floated in a frame.

Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Awesome, vulture! :clap:
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:18 pm

I thought y'all might enjoy my latest addition:

A Jim Franklin handbill for The Velvet Underground at Vulcan Gas Co.
veltri
Art Expert

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Awesome! Great condition too.

Auction?
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
fredo
Art God

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:45 pm

Love, love it
just a foil for me today, thanks
VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm

veltri wrote:Awesome! Great condition too.

Auction?
Yep! Sixties Posters.