What time is it?!?!? It's CALLOUT time!

General art-related discussion.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm

It's been a while since we had a good callout thread, and while I would prefer to never have to call someone out, this recent bit of bullshit just begs to be shared.

So before Mondo did their Adventure Time show, they showed a giclee of JJ Harrison's "My Neighbor Jake". The wife and I were immediately in love with it. Long story short, despite the best efforts of multiple PBs, I could not score it. So I do what any good red-blooded American would do, and that's post an ISO thread. I get a quick bite from kansasbbq on Friday night. After some back and forth, we couldn't really work out a deal. No biggie.

But Saturday night, he decides to change his mind. We agree and I send payment immediately. He says he'll send it out Monday or Tuesday and provide tracking.

Monday comes. Monday goes.

Tuesday comes. Tuesday goes.

Now, fudge happens, so it ain't the end of the world. I figure I'll shoot him a message Wednesday to see what's up. He reads it but doesn't respond, yet he finds the time to post on threads. This isn't looking good.

I shoot him another message on EB Thurday afternoon. Same thing; read, no response, actively posting. I see where this is going.

I start trying to get my ducks in a row. I post on the Mondo Facebook group. I don't share any names, just that I think I'm about to get drymounted over so I start looking for another person who may have it I can deal with. No such luck. Someone recommends since I have his real e-mail I shoot him a message that way. E-mail is sent with no response.

I wake up this morning to this friendly little message:
Chris-

Sorry for the delay....but as you've probably already guessed, I have some bad news. I've decided to keep the print. My wife spent all day Sunday looking at it and talking about it. And then on Monday when I went to tube it up she threw a fit. I had no idea she had become that attached to it. She has given me the silent treatment ever since and I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth it. I know it's bad form, but in order for me to keep the peace here at home it's no longer for sale.

I'll refund you immediately.
Apologies,
Ben
drymount. Well, at least he didn't say his dog ate it.

I don't know about you guys, but those of you with wives who at least tolerate this hobby generally need approval. How many times do you see someone say "the wife isn't letting me hang a picture of a zombie baby in the living room, so I'm selling my 'It's Alive' print". Well, it cuts both ways. For me, everything I buy is approved before purchase, the same with the very, very few things I sell. But I'll play along and assume positive intent, despite the fact this whole "the wife said" excuse is more tired than Kim Kardashian's pussy.

I was pissed, but I was ready to brush it off, until I found this out:

"He messaged me a few days ago saying he would trade it "for the right print". I call bullshit."

"ya, his wife was with him at the gallery when the show opened, they were in line right ahead of me, so chances are they actually have 2. The "wife" excuse is complete donkeyshit!!!!"

Now, it's one thing to say it. It's another thing to get evidence.

Here is him acknowledging my Saturday night payment, agreeing to send it out Monday or Tuesday.

Here is his trying to trade it to someone else on Monday:

So in the best case he was selling a print I already paid him for. In the worst case he was selling a print I already paid him for AND he lied to back out to get a few more bucks. I knew kansasbbq as a regular and assumed he was on the up-and-up. Guess I was wrong.

Congrats, kansasbbq. Hope the few extra bucks you get out of this cheap ass giclee is worth it.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
skis007
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Let us end this week with a bang. I'm ready.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 pm

skis007 wrote:Image

Let us end this week with a bang. I'm ready.
dude, you stole my gif, wtf.
:cautiously removes pants:
dsanacore
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 pm

So he refunded you...?

Man this isn't going to be anywhere near as good as the Phubar callout thread :?
Image Image
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Why is it always the punk anarchy kids that turn into big wobbly undouched pussies anytime they think something unfair happened?

Sack up, son. Accept that fudge happens to everybody.
spankman
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I like it! My new favorite thread
"I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard.” Mike Tyson
statik
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Damn.

And I "almost" had this guy be my PB for the show as well. He wanted a THOR PB ...AND I quote "something else down the road". He tried to ask for help with the rumored Stout drop but I shut that fudge down fast.

Sorry you took my fall.
drymount your sig!
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

talkingdeads wrote:Why is it always the punk anarchy kids that turn into big wobbly undouched pussies anytime they think something unfair happened?

Sack up, son. Accept that fudge happens to everybody.
He dicked me over. I don't expect anything to happen from it, but people should know if they're going to deal with him in the future they might get dicked over as well.
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
shoeless
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

He refunded your payment. No need for callout....imo.

Ive said it before, this PBing stuff is a favor one member chooses to do for another. Sometimes it goes smooth, other times integrity is clouded by dollar signs. Thems the breaks. It sucks that he changed his mind, but you got your money back. He didn't rip you off. He doesn't "owe" you anything.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, thats not my intention. I just think a callout thread should only be made under extreme circumstances.

Keep calm and carry on.
fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.
Super_Dank_Nugz
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

I have had nothing but positive buying experiences with kansasbbq.

So he had a change of heart? This ain't eBay, nothing is set in stone.

Yeah it sucks but we can't always get what we want.

I don't think this warrants a call out thread.

But that's just by opinion.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

I'll see your popcorn cat and raise you:

:cautiously removes pants:
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh god, I can see forever
Super_Dank_Nugz
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

virtualmert wrote:I'll see your popcorn cat and raise you:

The cat really needs some googly eyes.
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Eh, I dunno. I think if the 2 agree on a sale and payment is made, that's the deal. I can understand that things happen and there's exceptions to every rule, but seeing that the guy was entertaining offers on Monday when OP had already paid and was waiting on his print, I'd be pissed too.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 pm

psy.jpg
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.