All things Esao Andrews

General art-related discussion.
Jasper73
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Flowing water is seen as life giving, maybe the flowing oil an opposite of water(oil is explosive, volatile) sets a darker meaning to the image.
ImageT.K.C.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
tranito wrote:
Still dubious regarding his use of oily water.. never seen it discussed before, so if Esao's fans want to play, come along!
Sometimes I think it's definitely about oil (Petrosinella II comes to mind with the towers in the back) but I can also see it being used more for effect against the lighter background and greenery surrounding the water, as a more natural water color feels like it'd blend into the bottom portion of Hangover III and lose some separation.
Yeah, with Hangover/Petrosinella I get the impression that it's used to create a sort of dark, ominous tone more than anything. Kind of a "everything that glitters isn't always gold" sort of feel when contrasted with how beautiful the rest of the scene is.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Water seems to represent the thoughts of the character in the painting. In the Hangover series and Petrosinella I and II, the female character is looking down at the flowing water in some form of contemplation. The reflection of her thoughts and emotion paint the clarity of the water, as well as affect the rest of the surroundings (e.g. foliage, color of the sky, mist, clouds, etc). In the moment captured by the painting, the world revolves around her.

Specifically, the Hangover series evoke the phrase "bridge over troubled waters." Since the female character hasn't crossed the bridge, she still isn't over whatever is on her mind, so the blacker the water, the more troubled the thoughts. In Hangover I, I like to imagine she's dealing with a death, or heartbreak from a broken relationship. I'm leaning more on the latter since the foliage around her is all green, as if she's green with envy or jealousy of seeing her ex-partner with someone new. The black waterfall symbolizes her bittersweet memories and depression, and she is staring into a clouded abyss. In Hangover II, the female character is peacefully sitting on the edge of a dilapidated bridge. Her relaxed posture is represented by the clearer water. Based on the condition of bridge, she's revisiting some old thoughts. In Hangover III, which I consider a more direct sequel to Hangover I, the female character is playfully standing on the rails of the bridge. Although the water is black, there is now incredible beauty grown from it: the black flowers. From her troubled thoughts of the past relationship, she has become wiser and can now look at them in appreciation. The more ornate bridge represents how she's gotten stronger as an individual; and the lack of cloudy mist at the bottom of the piece implies that she's not bothered by the thoughts anymore. Based on the pink-orange sky (like in "Dangling Conversation") and the heart on the tree, I would even say that she is now in a new relationship and absolutely smitten with him/her.

On a side note, looking at Hangover I, II and III side-by-side (in JPG), it's clear to see that Esao's technical skill has improved to another level.
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:34 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Mr Medium or can I call you Static? What is the shipping cost for both if framed?
It will be calculated at checkout on Esao's site but just to give you a rough estimate, the base postage (not including material costs) for a 26" x 26" x 4" box sent via USPS Priority Mail from LA to Austin is about $40.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:43 pm

many thanks!
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Esao : "Yeah it's just water. I like the way it looks like that"
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Psh, I hear that there's a hidden message in every waterfall that can only be seen under blacklight and they all say "CRUZ IS ZODIAC." Stupid "artistic meaning."
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
tylerlyons24
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Bought em both framed, upgrading to museum glass too.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:36 pm

tylerlyons24 wrote:Bought em both framed, upgrading to museum glass too.
#baller
Still deciding which configuration I want. Leaning towards Stray II framed with museum glass...
So it goes...
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 pm

I just have to settle for #poor status with both unframed. :cry:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:57 pm

A few recaps:

If you're opting for the museum glass upgrade, email me at info@staticmedium.com. You must email by end of the day on Monday. Don't expect to pay right away. I won't invoice anyone until after the sale is over. Likely some time next week.

Esao is giving away an original oil painting on Instagram. Head on over there and repost his post of The Stray II and The Hangover III to enter.

Esao also hand embellished a number of prints. They'll be randomly mixed in with the framed orders. Good luck!

Additionally, Esao is handling the fulfillment of these editions, not us. Any questions pertaining to your order from this point on (with the exception of glass upgrades) can be directed to him, not our staff. Please bear in mind that he's just one guy, so it may take him a while to reply to everyone. Be patient with him. :)

Lastly, enjoy your prints! They're beautiful and we're sure that you're going to love them. Thank you so much for all of the support.

P.S. - We have one last little surprise for everyone who buys a print, assuming they're done in time. Just an itty, bitty little extra goodie. :D
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm

StaticMedium wrote:A few recaps:

If you're opting for the museum glass upgrade, email me at info@staticmedium.com. You must email by end of the day on Monday. Don't expect to pay right away. I won't invoice anyone until after the sale is over. Likely some time next week.

Esao is giving away an original oil painting on Instagram. Head on over there and repost his post of The Stray II and The Hangover III to enter.

Esao also hand embellished a number of prints. They'll be randomly mixed in with the framed orders. Good luck!

Additionally, Esao is handling the fulfillment of these editions, not us. Any questions pertaining to your order from this point on (with the exception of glass upgrades) can be directed to him, not our staff. Please bear in mind that he's just one guy, so it may take him a while to reply to everyone. Be patient with him. :)

Lastly, enjoy your prints! They're beautiful and we're sure that you're going to love them. Thank you so much for all of the support.

P.S. - We have one last little surprise for everyone who buys a print, assuming they're done in time. Just an itty, bitty little extra goodie. :D
Thanks for all the updates, and keeping us informed. You guys rock. :cheers:
So it goes...
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Only the framed orders have a shot at an embellished copy, is that correct?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:16 pm

Kramerica wrote:Only the framed orders have a shot at an embellished copy, is that correct?
That is correct.
partpat
Art Freak

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:42 pm

StaticMedium wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Only the framed orders have a shot at an embellished copy, is that correct?
That is correct.

luls.

buy our framed timed fudge.

FWIW these pieces are GREAT .