All things Esao Andrews

General art-related discussion.
kevinkenly1
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:08 am

StaticMedium wrote:
KSUvet wrote:Thanks jayper. Do people like those tiny borders? I would generally prefer a little more for mounting corners and matting? That just looks unnecessarily harder to work with.
We find there are a few advantages to the thin borders. First and foremost, it gives you something to grab when handling the print so you aren't risking damaging the inks. This sets it apart from full bleed prints. Want to have the effect of a larger white border? Have the first matt be thin and white. A good framer can still easily matt it the same as any other print. However, unlike prints with a larger border you also have the option of framing it so the frame goes to the edge of the art which mimics paintings making it as if you've framed the original art opposed to a print (Insert joke about the original art being larger). This is how Audrey Kawasaki's artist framed prints appear and is the first artist we starting using this style of border with. For art in my own home I enjoy having the option of matting it OR framing it right up to the art so I'm personally a fan of the thin border. :)
Thanks for the info!
jkw3000
EB Team

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:29 am

Yeah, Esao's previous releases have the thin borders as well and I'm actually a big fan - enough for handling, as much image as possible while not being full bleed.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:38 am

Something to consider if the white borders were thicker; that means the artist will probably sign on the white making it so people who would want to frame out the border to be forced into covering up the sig. Thin borders like this and Kawasaki mean the artist signs on the image thus leaving it up to the owner how to frame and matte

Keep doing your thing SM, no complaint over here
Last edited by 666ways2love on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
deancc
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:12 am

StaticMedium wrote:
KSUvet wrote:Thanks jayper. Do people like those tiny borders? I would generally prefer a little more for mounting corners and matting? That just looks unnecessarily harder to work with.
We find there are a few advantages to the thin borders. First and foremost, it gives you something to grab when handling the print so you aren't risking damaging the inks. This sets it apart from full bleed prints. Want to have the effect of a larger white border? Have the first matt be thin and white. A good framer can still easily matt it the same as any other print. However, unlike prints with a larger border you also have the option of framing it so the frame goes to the edge of the art which mimics paintings making it as if you've framed the original art opposed to a print (Insert joke about the original art being larger). This is how Audrey Kawasaki's artist framed prints appear and is the first artist we starting using this style of border with. For art in my own home I enjoy having the option of matting it OR framing it right up to the art so I'm personally a fan of the thin border. :)
Love the thin borders. Wish everyone did theirs like that.
taylorph
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:59 am

excited
Last edited by taylorph on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...
bblyfan
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

oh how I have longed for this day!
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:29 am

Anybody notice the time discrepancy btwn the blog post and the store?
bigmclargehuge1
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:04 am

stuckeyc wrote:Anybody notice the time discrepancy btwn the blog post and the store?

That blog post on his site is from 2013. His Facebook says 1pm PST also so I'm sure that's the time
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:25 am

Ahh that explains it. Trying to pb for someone and wanted to be sure. The site keeps triggering my av too. Guess it might be a bit of a challenge
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:36 am

deancc wrote: Love the thin borders. Wish everyone did theirs like that.
I'm with you Dean. Thin borders are the best.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
tylerlyons24
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:51 pm

The question is, do I go for cloisters or just buy them both. This is the perfect time for having extra money to buy prints.....not lol
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Glad to hear people like them!

While we're on the subject, what would you all think if Esao offered an 'Artist Framed' upgrade for future print releases? It would work in a similar fashion to Audrey Kawasaki's sales if you're familiar with that format. The artist would pick out a frame that compliments the piece and either during or after checkout you can choose whether you'd like to upgrade to the frame option.

The frame would likely be in the style I mentioned earlier; with the edge of the frame against the art and the sig inside so it looks like the original painting.

The decision to do anything like this is up to Esao, but I'd be curious to see if that's something many people would be interested in.
partpat
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm

No one likes having to but their fudge framed.
StaticMedium
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 pm

partpat wrote:No one likes having to but their fudge framed.
You would simply have the option of getting it framed. You certainly wouldn't have to.
GmidD
Art Expert

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:54 pm

StaticMedium wrote:Glad to hear people like them!

While we're on the subject, what would you all think if Esao offered an 'Artist Framed' upgrade for future print releases? It would work in a similar fashion to Audrey Kawasaki's sales if you're familiar with that format. The artist would pick out a frame that compliments the piece and either during or after checkout you can choose whether you'd like to upgrade to the frame option.

The frame would likely be in the style I mentioned earlier; with the edge of the frame against the art and the sig inside so it looks like the original painting.

The decision to do anything like this is up to Esao, but I'd be curious to see if that's something many people would be interested in.
I'd be down! I've bought a few of the artist franed Kawasaki prints and they look fantastic!