Tiny info about a Tiny Media Empire aka Daniel Danger thread

General art-related discussion.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 pm

danieldanger wrote:Oops! That was actually me testing my store for bots and page refreshers, I forgot to remove it. It's a dummy item to see how long until it started registering IPs. It's nothing, I made it called Donation as a joke because it implied people would just be giving me money if their bots auto bought it.

But you know, feel free to donate $1000 to the cause. God knows I need it.
I think the question on everyone's mind this fine Sunday evening: were there any 'donors''? :lol:
So it goes...
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:03 pm

and the answer is???? how long did it take in the end.
danieldanger wrote:Oops! That was actually me testing my store for bots and page refreshers, I forgot to remove it. It's a dummy item to see how long until it started registering IPs. It's nothing, I made it called Donation as a joke because it implied people would just be giving me money if their bots auto bought it.

1000steps
Art Expert

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 am

I was expecting another hand embellished Ghost Ship to surface... :drool:
Welcome to the sleaze pit
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:21 am

1000steps wrote:I was expecting another hand embellished Ghost Ship to surface... :drool:
I'd buy that for a dollar! Well 1000 dollars, but you get what I mean...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
1000steps
Art Expert

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Yup, that would be enough to unleash total financial irresponsibility.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Oh man, that could be tricky. Normal humans may use page-refreshing tools around drop times that could 'flag' them as being bots, even though the bot doesn't do the actual purchase.

Good Luck fighting bots, it's tricky. ( And I don't mean this as some bullshit passive aggressive sentiment. It's a worth while endeavor, but don't get too absorbed by it!)
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 pm

rero giving anti-bot advice is almost as lulzy as rero giving bot advice.
So it goes...
1000steps
Art Expert

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 pm

It's a bot snare.

This could get interesting!
Zepeleptic
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:40 am

rerocustom1989 wrote:

Oh man, that could be tricky. Normal humans may use page-refreshing tools around drop times that could 'flag' them as being bots, even though the bot doesn't do the actual purchase.

Good Luck fighting bots, it's tricky. ( And I don't mean this as some bullshit passive aggressive sentiment. It's a worth while endeavor, but don't get too absorbed by it!)
I have seriously considered building a bot that replied to every single one of your posts with "shut the drymount up" but I have better things to do with my time. Consider that sentiment fulfilled with this post.
TopHatZombies wrote:LOOK FOR THE RED DOTS!!!!!!
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:01 am

Zepeleptic wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:

I have seriously considered building a bot that replied to every single one of your posts with "shut the drymount up" but I have better things to do with my time. Consider that sentiment fulfilled with this post.
A lot of anger in this post. Did rero kill your dog? Sleep with your wife?
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:54 am

Zepeleptic wrote: I have seriously considered building a bot that replied to every single one of your posts with "shut the drymount up" but I have better things to do with my time. Consider that sentiment fulfilled with this post.
Another tricky task. I say go for it, you'll learn a lot a long the way.
sincere86a
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 am

mfaith wrote:rero giving anti-bot advice is almost as lulzy as rero giving bot advice.

:lol: :lol:
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:50 am

mfaith wrote:rero giving anti-bot advice is almost as lulzy as rero giving bot advice.
Start by asking, "What do people look at before the click 'add-to-cart'?" They look at the item name, and the image. It's unlikely, but possible that bots are analyzing the pictures of items on the page to match those with the item that they want to purchase. This means they're, more likely than not, relying on the item name(or link text) to correlate to a pre-released name (or perhaps something guessable, as I've seen rumors about with mondo).

With DD, it's a little trickier, as he sometimes releases one item at a time. Bots could just look for the *new* item and opt to purchse that instead.

AntiBotting Solutions:
Decoy items + poorly named / garbled named items.
(Decoy items should be the same price as the actual items, as price is also something a bot could theoretically look for.)

Hope that's useful!
1000steps
Art Expert

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:04 am

Or one could post an email address and a message saying "the first 100 emails I receive after 2 pm get the ____ print". Send invoices to the first 100 emails, and sell to those who actually pay.

The current online drop convention seems to be the dominant paradigm only because it was the first. People tend to get hung up on the most obvious solution at the expense of the best solution.

There are better ways to sell art.
alittle
Art Freak

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am

Since when do people flip Danger?