Toronto Canada Poster Scene... is there one?

General art-related discussion.
Mikeart78
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:47 am

Toronto is a great city with a crazy music scene, does anyone know of a gig artist/ store up here? I have found a few but come on theres got to be more....
bosephus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:18 pm

I always hit up Telegramme Prints when I'm near Ossington or on Queen East - http://telegramme.ca/
"I'm a backbone shiver and I'm a bundle of joy."
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 pm

kidicarus.ca has some stuff.
bosephus wrote:I always hit up Telegramme Prints when I'm near Ossington or on Queen East - http://telegramme.ca/
Are they good with framing? Can they be trusted / do they take it seriously? Hesitant to get anything framed in Toronto as the last time I did the guy ruined the print :hanging:
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 pm

kryptonite wrote: Are they good with framing? Can they be trusted / do they take it seriously? Hesitant to get anything framed in Toronto as the last time I did the guy ruined the print :hanging:
based on your suggestion, i went there and had my let the right one in quad framed there. did an incredible job with it and they were very professional.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm

finalfilppula wrote:
kryptonite wrote: Are they good with framing? Can they be trusted / do they take it seriously? Hesitant to get anything framed in Toronto as the last time I did the guy ruined the print :hanging:
based on your suggestion, i went there and had my let the right one in quad framed there. did an incredible job with it and they were very professional.
Good to hear. I was recommended by another, but one doesn't seem to synch it for me. Which location did you go to? East or West? Pizzeria Libretto is right by the Ossington one :drool:
bosephus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm

finalfilppula wrote:
Glad to hear! I've been going to get my stuff framed by Ian at Telegramme for over 4 years now and I've never been disappointed!
I typically go to the East-end one though as I'm a Leslieville-r.
"I'm a backbone shiver and I'm a bundle of joy."
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 pm

bosephus wrote:
finalfilppula wrote:
Glad to hear! I've been going to get my stuff framed by Ian at Telegramme for over 4 years now and I've never been disappointed!
I typically go to the East-end one though as I'm a Leslieville-r.
East end is closer for me, so that's nice. Do either of you happen to have pictures of the work they did? Also, do they ever have specials going on? Been looking out for one with no luck. :pint:
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 pm

i went to the one on ossington. i've been there a few times now for different prints. prices are a bit high, so i only go for prints i want to hang up in my house-coffin whenever i perish. i always go for a celebratory pizza at libretto afterwards :D
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:38 pm

finalfilppula wrote:i went to the one on ossington. i've been there a few times now for different prints. prices are a bit high, so i only go for prints i want to hang up in my house-coffin whenever i perish. i always go for a celebratory pizza at libretto afterwards :D
Seems all prices in Toronto are fairly high :hanging:

Fortunately the housemade sausage pizza will comfort me :notworthy:
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm

kryptonite wrote:
finalfilppula wrote:i went to the one on ossington. i've been there a few times now for different prints. prices are a bit high, so i only go for prints i want to hang up in my house-coffin whenever i perish. i always go for a celebratory pizza at libretto afterwards :D
Seems all prices in Toronto are fairly high :hanging:

Fortunately the housemade sausage pizza will comfort me :notworthy:
yeah, everywhere i've been has been pretty high, so there's not much we can do!

making me hungry now, man. this place makes a really good pizza, too: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/pizza-e-pazzi-toronto
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm

kryptonite wrote:kidicarus.ca has some stuff.
bosephus wrote:I always hit up Telegramme Prints when I'm near Ossington or on Queen East - http://telegramme.ca/
Are they good with framing? Can they be trusted / do they take it seriously? Hesitant to get anything framed in Toronto as the last time I did the guy ruined the print :hanging:
PM me, i have a place
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I always went to Victor Gallery on Queen, west of Bathurst, for very affordable custom framing (as long as you like standard-ish black frames.

They are grumpy, family-owned, but I kinda got to like them and they do the job right. Nice to pop into a framing store, give your measurements and presto - done at a standard size cost.

Again, a lot of people come away saying the service is grumpy, but man, they're been sorely missed by me, after searching for a year plus for an equal alternative here in LA.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:05 pm

...also tried Soho art and custom framing a while back and they were good. At Roncesvalles and Marion St.)
Last edited by middayshadows on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lcsproductions
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 pm

There are two threads already with lists of Toronto framing places and their respective pros and cons.

I have a great place I love and trust in the west end as that is where I live.

As for a scene I'm not aware of one other then what happens on here.

We should do a poster swap like those guys in Denver do. :pint:
$250 for the pair shipped and insured. Both are mint. Shipping should be around 7 or 8 bucks.

FYI: this was the collection that didn't make my walls, still beats your shitty little collections...and if it doesn't, I still couldn't care less.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, another one or two other abandoned threads exist, but the info bears repeating I think! 8)

Also, DoubleNaut are a fairly prominent studio based out of T.O.

http://www.doublenaut.com/blog/

They've done a lot of cool gig posters (including my favourite Death Cab for Cutie poster ever) and are featured in the upcoming Zelda show in Portland.

The sparsity of galleries that feature screenprints is pathetic, and really pisses me off when compared to other niche cultures represented in T.O., in the gallery scene and otherwise. There are definitely collectors there, but very little community when it comes to a poster scene.

I want the best for my hometown and it deserves better than it has in terms of the art scene that is there. Coming to L.A. has been an eye-opener in terms of what a world class city should offer art-lovers of any sort. As long as the people vote for Rob Ford and his ilk, funding of the arts (which has a very definite trickle down effect to niche art such as a poster scene) will remain as sad as it is in Toronto now, and the art scene as a whole will remain in the Ghetto it is currently in.

The good news is that people/ communities/ scenes can , and do, take matter into their own hands. There are poster collectors in T.O. (I've met a few of you and you're cool beans!). The above mentioned Doublenaut offers classes for screenprinting, for example. And if you take a look at their site , you can see they've been churning out quality stuff for a while now.

So meet up! Congregate , collect and make posters! Make a scene!