Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
Trasher
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 am

Whelp, now it makes sense as to why he removed the rock face resembling the show's take on the Fist. Looks like the rock structure is going to be the main focus of his piece:

For reference, here's another artist's take on what the Fist looks like. Seems Mark is definitely going for this look rather than the show's which is good in my opinion since this art show is based on the books and not the show necessarily.

Oh and, metallics confirmed!
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 am

I was going to have the Fist from the HBO show included as a nod... but then I figured it'd just be confusing to have two. Even though the Fist on the HBO show is just nothing like the books.

When I read the books it was like, a natural wonder and something that could feasibly be a defensible position. No just a cliff face that sort-of-maybe looks like a fist and is just a spot to hang out waiting to be murdered.

It's something I was really looking forward to seeing on the HBO show and was let down.

That drawing of the Fist you posted is pretty rad, I'll have to take a closer look at it before I finish mine off.
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 am

And thanks for re-posting this stuff here... by the time I get around to it, it's already done!
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 am

Love all the updates and process pics Mark. Any idea how big the edition for this is gonna be?
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:14 am

Ctg9095 wrote:Love all the updates and process pics Mark. Any idea how big the edition for this is gonna be?
no more than 150... see how it goes.
Trasher
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:34 am

markenglert wrote:That drawing of the Fist you posted is pretty rad, I'll have to take a closer look at it before I finish mine off.
Apparently it's a drawing from a GoT card game. It's the only picture I've ever seen that depicts what the Fist looks like, so who knows how accurate it really is. When I saw your drawing though I immediately thought it shared some similarities in the design. I even thought maybe you were basing yours off of it slightly, but apparently not haha.

I've always been a bit confused trying to envision what it looked like, but here's the AWOIAF description:
The Fist of the First Men is an ancient ringfort built by the First Men in the Dawn Age. It is located next to the Milkwater. It is where the Night's Watch fought the Battle of the Fist of the First Men.

The Fist is a hill that rises above the Forest around it. The hill offers commanding views with the slopes at a dangerous angle to the north and west and only slightly less dangerous to east. Its windswept crown is visible for miles. There is a ringwall of chest-high grey stone that crowns the top of the steep, stony hill. At the foot of the hill there is brook.
This description leads me to believe that it's just a large massive mountain structure which means enemies assaulting it would have to go severely uphill to face whoever defended it and that their options were severely limited as to which side of it they wanted to attack. And the way they say that it's an ancient ringfort means that parts of it are man-made rather than completely natural. Anyways, I guess my main point is I just don't fully comprehend how big the thing actually is haha. Damn you HBO for not figuring it out either!
markenglert wrote:
Ctg9095 wrote:Love all the updates and process pics Mark. Any idea how big the edition for this is gonna be?
no more than 150... see how it goes.
Damn! Gonna need to find myself a PB.

And yeah, thanks for all these process pics, Mark. Pretty cool that we get to see how you work through a piece. Thanks for taking the time to share.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:44 am

Trasher wrote:
The Fist of the First Men is an ancient ringfort built by the First Men in the Dawn Age. It is located next to the Milkwater. It is where the Night's Watch fought the Battle of the Fist of the First Men.

The Fist is a hill that rises above the Forest around it. The hill offers commanding views with the slopes at a dangerous angle to the north and west and only slightly less dangerous to east. Its windswept crown is visible for miles. There is a ringwall of chest-high grey stone that crowns the top of the steep, stony hill. At the foot of the hill there is brook.
This description leads me to believe that it's just a large massive mountain structure which means enemies assaulting it would have to go severely uphill to face whoever defended it and that their options were severely limited as to which side of it they wanted to attack. And the way they say that it's an ancient ringfort means that parts of it are man-made rather than completely natural. Anyways, I guess my main point is I just don't fully comprehend how big the thing actually is haha. Damn you HBO for not figuring it out either!
Yeah to me sounds like it looks something like this (a rough attempt):
photo (3).JPG
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 am

I'm mostly basing it off of my recollection and with the help of my buddy Chris who has read the book a few times through.

I see it as a large rock, like something in Utah, which is tough to climb, but not impossible even on horseback. Once you make the climb, there is a crappy old ringfort, which I imagine was really more for a bit of extra shelter from the wind if anything. It's described as a chest high wall, which seems fairly useless in combat to me... in any case, you can't see the actual ringfort in my piece either. It'd be too small to feature on the massive rock of the Fist.

I'll post some more pics soon. Been struggling with getting the snow texture right in the foreground.

Oh, and no problem posting process stuff. It's a treat to post as I go these days...
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:47 am

markenglert wrote:I'm mostly basing it off of my recollection and with the help of my buddy Chris who has read the book a few times through.

I see it as a large rock, like something in Utah, which is tough to climb, but not impossible even on horseback. Once you make the climb, there is a crappy old ringfort, which I imagine was really more for a bit of extra shelter from the wind if anything. It's described as a chest high wall, which seems fairly useless in combat to me... in any case, you can't see the actual ringfort in my piece either. It'd be too small to feature on the massive rock of the Fist.

I'll post some more pics soon. Been struggling with getting the snow texture right in the foreground.

Oh, and no problem posting process stuff. It's a treat to post as I go these days...
Sounds great, hopefully I can grab one to go with my Blackwater :D
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 am

My recollection that there is only one side that is climbable... In mine, I'm imaging that you'd have to follow a path around the entire rock and work your way up. That would make more sense as a defensible position, since the enemy would take longer to ascend and you'd have more chances to pick them off as the climbed an unsteady path with a nasty drop off the side. In the book, they sprinkled the path to the top with caltrops, I'd assume in a hope to startle bad guys from stumbling off the side.

I'm sure I've put too much though into this :P
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:03 am

You can never put too much thought into print based on this subject matter.
And hopefully some copies make it online, not sure how busy LTD gallery's opening nights are. Will you have AP copies for sale at some point in the future?
Trasher
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

markenglert wrote:My recollection that there is only one side that is climbable... In mine, I'm imaging that you'd have to follow a path around the entire rock and work your way up. That would make more sense as a defensible position, since the enemy would take longer to ascend and you'd have more chances to pick them off as the climbed an unsteady path with a nasty drop off the side. In the book, they sprinkled the path to the top with caltrops, I'd assume in a hope to startle bad guys from stumbling off the side.

I'm sure I've put too much though into this :P
Concerning this subject? No such thing! I've wasted far too much time over thinking and over analyzing these damn books haha.
CaptainBlood
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 am

jrsheppa wrote:
Trasher wrote:

Yeah to me sounds like it looks something like this (a rough attempt):

ISO Fist of the First Men OG Notepad Variant.
sigma722
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 am

markenglert wrote:Oh, and no problem posting process stuff. It's a treat to post as I go these days...
So in other words, some super secret stuff is coming up, right?
ImageImage
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 am

Finally got my Blackwater framed! Not the most adventurous I admit but I really like it. Pictures don't do it justice at all. The wood has tiny 'pits' all over and it's really chunky! Wanted to either use spacers or a black mount and in the end went with an acid-free mount. Need to decide where to put it and get some decent hooks. The ones that came with the frame are weak as hell and they buckled within 5 minutes (lucky I was just testing and didn't leave it hung up as it most likely would have fallen off in the night!! :o )