Olly Moss gets his own thread

General art-related discussion.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 11:40 am

happyshopper wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:
happyshopper wrote:I find these dissapointing.
A short, chubby looking Don Drapper? It just doesn't look like him at all!
Thanks for weighing in.
Only positive opinions allowed? Haha
No, just seems like singling out this Don 'Drapper' begs the question if you have seen the other 239847 doodles he has done in this vein.
fitz
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 pm

^^ That, and the fact that if people spent their time posting every time something wasn't for them or being negative then this forum would be......wait a minute... that is this forum :lol:
Superfro33
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 1:47 pm

fitz wrote:^^ That, and the fact that if people spent their time posting every time something wasn't for them or being negative then this forum would be......
It'd be Facebook.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 pm

I think it merits discussion. I have bought almost every Olly 5x5 that has come out up to this point. I have traded, sold some, rebought, and gone back and forth trying to figure out which ones I want to keep and hang. This is the first set I have seen and thought "meh".

I like the different color paper, think thats a nice touch as the paper kind of evokes the Mad Men colors. But I am with the previous commenter in that the drawings are lackluster. This may not be Olly's fault; Don Draper is just so nondescript, its hard to make him jump out. And I think Olly recognized this by doing the drawings on different colored paper and in varied poses. To me this is a step in the right direction and an evolution from his Breaking Bad multiples, but in general suffers from some of the same problems his TV characters: most are too nondescript. Video game characters are just so much more lively for this type of illustration motif.
fitz
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Yep, its not the strongest 5x5 group by a long stretch on first glance - still I ordered a set and if I don't like it when it lands I can always sell them on easily enough - hoping it will inspire me to crack open the seasons 1 - 3 box set of mad men I have had sat on the shelf for months.

I know what you are saying about tv characters vs video game characters, but then the true detective and GOT series were both great (as was the dr who one he did on the live stream but never released due to him failing at spelunky)
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun May 17, 2015 2:06 pm

fitz wrote:Yep, its not the strongest 5x5 group by a long stretch on first glance - still I ordered a set and if I don't like it when it lands I can always sell them on easily enough - hoping it will inspire me to crack open the seasons 1 - 3 box set of mad men I have had sat on the shelf for months.

I know what you are saying about tv characters vs video game characters, but then the true detective and GOT series were both great (as was the dr who one he did on the live stream but never released due to him failing at spelunky)
GOT was successful only for some characters in my opinion. And TD are also successful because of the more unique elements of the show (the 1995 v. 2012 thing and the fact that you could represent the whole show with those two characters in one 5x5). Seems tv characters are just tougher to do properly, more hit or miss.

What I would give for him to do Spelunky...
elanmars
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Damn, just find out about the Don Draper Moss set today.

Anyone regretting their purchase, holler.
to see some of my photography, click down below!
http://www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography
zombiejp
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 17, 2015 5:49 pm

I love the Mad Men prints. I opted to only get the suited Don, but each one feels a big departure from the style Olly typically uses for his 5X5s. At least in my opinion.

And yes, out of contexts they're all pretty nondescript. Suited Don could be any random FBI man from the '60s, but that doesn't bother me. I like rough style on Don's suit and the messy, orange wash behind him that Olly does to match the style of the period. Up until now and of the other 5X5s have had a similar peach colored background and the style of the figures themselves looks pretty identical. Not a bad thing mind you, just that this was an attempt at making it look different. I think this is a huge success as a series and hopefully evidence that Olly is going to try to do some new things with these 5X5s.
alittle
Art Freak

Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a papercut in the upcoming Digard auction (Lot 164):

http://www.digard.com/html/index.jsp?id ... &npp=10000
Zakard
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 17, 2015 10:25 pm

I ordered the whole set. Never watched Mad Men, but this now made me start S1. Thanks Olly!
Rhymnoceros24
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 17, 2015 11:59 pm

jrsheppa wrote:This is the first set I have seen and thought "meh". This may not be Olly's fault; Don Draper is just so nondescript, its hard to make him jump out.
Exactly how I feel. I liked his other 5x5's because the characters were fairly easy to recognize on their own. Kinda tough to do that with Don Draper though.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am

alittle wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is a papercut in the upcoming Digard auction (Lot 164):

http://www.digard.com/html/index.jsp?id ... &npp=10000
Haha, how cool. Sideshow Bob. :)
fitz
Art Expert

Mon May 18, 2015 2:07 am

The estimate seems high but you can never tell with auctions you get some surprising results
ShipShape
Art Enthusiast

Mon May 18, 2015 2:33 am

elanmars wrote:Damn, just find out about the Don Draper Moss set today.

Anyone regretting their purchase, holler.
EG8
Art Expert

Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 am

I took a pass only because of the mouth being gone. That is very odd
Image Image Image