The Black Keys

General art-related discussion.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 am

Best Black Keys Poster:
Surprised it wasn't mentioned yet.

Hope Sperry is working on another killer set like the WSP ladies with this upcoming tour. Wouldn't it be badass if he were to put out a poster that would tie together outside lands, council bluff, and Indy for another killer quad of Sperry ladies? :drool:
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 am

^^

If he did wouldn't that set hold the potential to be a more desired set due to the smaller runs?
southerngarden
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 am

drymount all these huge venues that this band is playing...but i guess if the tickets are selling...no FL dates yet...even on the "second leg"...so i can hope for a smaller venue when the come down here...

last year was amazing for TBK posters...The TWO Sperrys, the Klausen Smoking Chick, the Slater Panther....those are the 2011 ones i actually own and they are each amazing in person...ill look forward to their 2012 posters but not so much their gigs in these massive venues...pearl jam they aint...i dont think their current music will really translate to the arena crowd as well as it does to the small theater crowd...but i dont know fudge.
iamthetoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 am

Danger's 2010 NYE poster from Chicago feels like more than just a poster. The black paper really complements the richness of the red color. And the image really makes me feel like I'm in an old, abandoned Akron building, somehow over-looking the abandoned Firestone Tire plant. The jpeg doesn't do this one justice. Lifelike textures, and very Akron!
DSCN1445.jpg
DSCN1447.jpg
southerngarden
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:If he did wouldn't that set hold the potential to be a more desired set due to the smaller runs?
they wouldnt match at all, not in size, shape, style, color, women, anything really......an nothing at all like the Panic girls....besides that, IMHO the INDY poster isnt in the same league as both of Chuck's more recent TBK posters. maybe a series with the Council Bluffs and the Outside lands being the first two of the series but not with the INDY poster.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 am

southerngarden wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:If he did wouldn't that set hold the potential to be a more desired set due to the smaller runs?
they wouldnt match at all, not in size, shape, style, color, women, anything really......an nothing at all like the Panic girls....besides that, IMHO the INDY poster isnt in the same league as both of Chuck's more recent TBK posters. maybe a series with the Council Bluffs and the Outside lands being the first two of the series but not with the INDY poster.
you're right, just me being optimistic because I'm from Indy.
IggyD
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 am

iamthetoe wrote:Danger's 2010 NYE poster from Chicago feels like more than just a poster. The black paper really complements the richness of the red color. And the image really makes me feel like I'm in an old, abandoned Akron building, somehow over-looking the abandoned Firestone Tire plant. The jpeg doesn't do this one justice. Lifelike textures, and very Akron!
DSCN1445.jpg
DSCN1447.jpg
I am with you on this.. I was at the NYE show so that makes this even more special to me. Already have my tickets for March and am hoping for Danger or even a Stout.... ha
rockbridge
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am

southerngarden wrote:drymount all these huge venues that this band is playing...but i guess if the tickets are selling...no FL dates yet...even on the "second leg"...so i can hope for a smaller venue when the come down here...

last year was amazing for TBK posters...The TWO Sperrys, the Klausen Smoking Chick, the Slater Panther....those are the 2011 ones i actually own and they are each amazing in person...ill look forward to their 2012 posters but not so much their gigs in these massive venues...pearl jam they aint...i dont think their current music will really translate to the arena crowd as well as it does to the small theater crowd...but i dont know fudge.
southern...I think you are dead on regarding this
artberry
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am

I was surprised at the large venues, and I'm sure the first few huge places they play will be a little lackluster as they adjust to the big venues but at some point they will be badass shows.
desch
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 am

rockbridge wrote:
southerngarden wrote:drymount all these huge venues that this band is playing...but i guess if the tickets are selling...no FL dates yet...even on the "second leg"...so i can hope for a smaller venue when the come down here...

Agree also. My most memorable experience seeing the Black Keys was at Antone's in Austin at SXSW standing at the edge of the stage right in front of Dan. That was awesome, not quite the same as a stadium venue.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
rockbridge
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

desch wrote:
rockbridge wrote:

Agree also. My most memorable experience seeing the Black Keys was at Antone's in Austin at SXSW standing at the edge of the stage right in front of Dan. That was awesome, not quite the same as a stadium venue.
desch, a little off topic, but it reminds me of the first Mumford & Sons show my wife and I went to @ Stubbs...Walked right up to the stage and were blown away....6 months later at their next show in Austin we were 150 yards from the stage :shock: I am happy these bands are blowing up, but it's a sad realization that the intimate days are over :(
iamthetoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 am

It's an interesting time for them. They're evolving which is fine, but I almost think El Camino was fitted for an arena show. It's way less edgy, and has a steady beat that will appeal to an even larger audience. Especially now that they seem to be a 4-piece, they have a fuller sound to fill the speakers. Not for me though; i'll take the TBK Akron Civic every day of the week over MSG.
veltri
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:50 am

And the Canadian Emek Saskatoon, Tong Edmonton and Quebec City Welker posters were great as well. They really put an effort into getting quality posters.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree, who wouldn't prefer to see them in a small venue. Last year they sold out Indy's outdoor venue, so the logical next step would be to play where the big boys play, especially earlier in the year when those outdoor venues aren't available.In a town like Indianapolis, there is no in between for an indoor venue and I would assume that the case for most cities.

I don't know much, but who cares about logic. If not for anything else they are filling a void that I want to see filled. I for one am hard pressed to name 1 other rock band that is actively touring. By "rock" I mean guitar, bass, drums, keys. None of this synth, moving stages, laser shows, animatronics malarky.
ejg904
Art Expert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 pm

they sold out MSG twice - you may not like it, but the size of these venues is justified.

virtually every show they've announced has sold really well on both the primary and secondary markets
Chico wrote:
i work in sales. w2 last year was +150K, this year, at 87% of year goal to date and on pace for +200K

want to compare bank accounts, wives, and art portfolios?