President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
nowayjosecafe
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 am

what is this gig poster nonsense?
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 am

I guess I bailed before the movie poster thing exploded.... Good. I need to sit down with old Rob and have him describe what that is all about because i don't get it

Reading old threads on gigposters.com and here makes me itchy in a good way
golobulus
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:42 am

I've bought several Ken Taylor gig posters *purely* because I like the artwork... I've never heard a single song from most of the bands :wink: I guess I should finally break down and go listen to the Avett Brothers already. :pint:

...and some of the movie posters that have come out in the past 3 years have been really great
posterbrian
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 am

I'm still collecting gigposters. I've been here on and off for a long time- I used to have another user name that was my real name so I killed it. I don't post much but I keep an eye on things.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before someplace here but I collect a very specific kind of posters- Rhode Island related. Either the gig was in RI, the artist is from RI or the band if from RI. It helped to focus during the hey day of gigposters to keep my collecting under control. I've found that RI being such a small place I am able to meet most of the artists whose things I collect and also have a relationship with some clubs and bands as well. Mostly though I'm interested in having an on-going relationship with the artists.

I've found that once artists and bands knew me and understood my interest that not only will they contact me when they have new stuff, but they will also tell others about me. I've been contacted by friends of friends to come look at other peoples collections, I've been asked to help appraise things, and I've been offered the opportunity to purchase stuff before it ends up on ebay. I've even had people text me from yard sales with photos of things they see I might be interested in.

Over the years I've built a collection of a few thousand (maybe) posters and flyers. I own things like the first Newport Jazz Festival poster (1954), early Folk Festival posters (not the Dylan ones way too $$$$), classic hip-hop tour posters for Fresh Festival and the Run DMC/ B Boys Raising Hell tour, old punk and GG Allin flyers, a set of 27 posters from most every show at URI 1986-1989 (including Dylan, Lou Reed, RHCP, Jimmy Cliff), and then all the modern stuff like Fort Thunder artists,the Dirt Palace ladies, Pete Cardoso and Pete MacPhee, James Quigley, Jim Draper, and tons of others. Ive loaned things to museums, venues, and people.

I don't know my end game. I'd love to do a book but getting permission from hundreds of people seems overwhelming. Maybe a blog, but I still have the permission problem. Who knows. After RISD did their big Wunderground (95-05) poster show a few years ago (I loaned them a few hundred posters out of the 2500 they showed) I tried to get a more comprehensive history show together. It never worked out, so I went back to quietly looking for and purchasing things. I live outside Boston now, I moved like two years ago, but I still head down to RI to find things, go to shows, visit artists and do research. I know it is impossible to own everything, I've given up even trying to own everything just one artist made, but I still have a good time finding new things and there is always something amazing right around the corner.

Last year I got one of these from an antique store that found it among a bunch of record store promos and random silkscreens.
rossi1102
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

I second the vote that they should not be given to a museum without a plan in place to display them. Better off selling them on here or ebay and getting them back into the wild where people will enjoy them.

And specifically, sell me all the old Jay Ryan's; imatruck said bad things about your mom and haven only pays in dogecoins. You can still sell deads all your old Daly's.

I've tried to be more judicial with my buying, and have succeeded for the most part, but every now and then I'll get the gigposter itch and buy up 5 or 10 I've had my eye on. Other than that I focus on older, (typically more expensive) posters, but ones that I will really enjoy. And stayed away from trying to buy things for the quick flip, work obligations (and rewards) have changed and it's just not worth the hassle. And finally, I've started to hang quite a few prints, and it's really a great feeling to see them up on the walls rather than in a portfolio or flat file.

Echoing what deads said, I also (to a lesser extent I'm sure) look at my collection as a bit of art history, I try to collect one or two pieces, at a minimum, from most of the major artists in the scene. According to my EB collection I have art from 208 artists, of those 208, I have 5 pieces or less from 185 of them.
rka00
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:41 pm

piemel wrote:Are the old time collectors that we around 5-10 years ago still at it?
What are you doing with your collection? Expanding, selling, looking at donating? What are your plans for your stacks and stacks of posters?
What is the scene like today? More douchebags than normal?
Welcome back piemel! EB's still alive and :rock: :drool: :fight: :deadhorse: :lurk: :dance:

Yup, still here and got sucked into the movie thing and grafitti/urban art thing where some of the new artists have shown their talents. So expanding while trying to scale back to a handful of specific artists. Yup, can't own everything. It's really a neverending cycle, until maybe one day. Did some fundraising in the past, the artists were generous in donating to the cause. The scene still has the same personality and the price to enjoy has had its ebbs and flows these past years, there was a thread about artists that have lost their popularity somewhere in the forum.

I remember someone asking me early on if I was a collector and I answered something like "No, I just buy if I see something I like." What's a "collector" anyway? I thought it was more like a hoarder or someone who's just buying it all up, selling it all, flipping, flopping, etc. Maybe I am a collector afterall (to some degree).
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 pm

wneff wrote:Image
Does the methane make it rise?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
antiyou
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Yamar wrote:
piemel wrote:I have been out of the scene for a long time

Are the old time collectors that we around 5-10 years ago still at it?
What are you doing with your collection? Expanding, selling, looking at donating? What are your plans for your stacks and stacks of posters?
What is the scene like today? More douchebags than normal?

Update me pls

"The scene" is just as it's always been, in my eyes. It's just a normal instance of every hobby I've been part of. Seems to start small and then grow to something more than that. Beyond that, it's more a matter of who you find. Guess I find myself laughing a bit about those who complain that half their deals end up falling apart or they have all these issues. For some reason, that happens to me less than 5% of the time, if even that. Guess it's a matter of who you search out to begin with...

Must be a new member (*cough* mondo) phenomenon, I can recall 1 transaction since my join date that went sour. I was buying a bit on BRY before I even found this place. A few crushed tubes/bent flats but for the most part the artists (or retailers) look after me pretty well. I think the GP scene will be everlasting as long as there is live music. It's not my main focus anymore because of the lack of new music that I enjoy. With a few artist exceptions, I hardly buy GP's anymore. Art Prints and select movie posters pretty much make up the bulk of my purchases these days. I do have a horror fetish so I'm not really into Mondo per-se.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

jjttdw wrote:Does the methane make it rise?
more likely, the answer is heat.
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm

shocking I know, but people still buy gig posters
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:14 pm

jojobadass wrote:shocking I know, but people still buy gig posters
TOTM
Art Expert

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Great post, posterbrian! Sounds like an amazing & very interesting collection man & one I'd love to take a gander at, given the chance... All about the hunt!
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Rene, give me everything.
TOTM
Art Expert

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:00 am

Last edited by TOTM on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.