Brett Amory: discuss

General art-related discussion.
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 am

Ken, will the HPM prints be shipped flat like last time?
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm

i like the hand finishing, but the warping on the paper last time made it tough to float the way i wanted it to, so ended up framing the reg and not the hpm, which made me a sad panda
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:i like the hand finishing, but the warping on the paper last time made it tough to float the way i wanted it to, so ended up framing the reg and not the hpm, which made me a sad panda
I had the exact same dilemma. I took both the reg and HPM to my framers, and right up until the last moment, I couldn’t decide which to frame.
In the end I went with the HPM. I think it turned out OK, which made me a happy panda.
It doesn't look as though Doughnuts has deckled edges, so no need to float it.

fnord
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
Ken
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks for the kind words and all the PMs everyone!

Being able to offer such a massive giclee (this print's 26" x 26") for only a hundred bucks is a pretty amazing deal and one we wouldn't be able to offer if we didn't have our own print shop in-house, so being able to pass those savings onto the fans is pretty awesome (remember, I'm a collector too!)

To answer a few questions:
Yup, the HPMs will ship flat like last time.
This edition will not have deckled edges, so float mounting won't be necessary. Even with a sturdy 300# watercolor paper, the thick layers of paint and ink on this print can cause some stress on the paper, so being able to mat is a nice framing option!

The prints are dropping in just under three hours, here are the last of the photos from our recent shoot at Brett's studio, enjoy!

wneff
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

First class framing, ianpotter.
Ken wrote:Being able to offer such a massive giclee (this print's 26" x 26") for only a hundred bucks is a pretty amazing deal
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

if the prints are not already numbered, can someone with better handwriting then brett number them, hahaha. i kid i kid
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:if the prints are not already numbered, can someone with better handwriting then brett number them, hahaha. i kid i kid
* than

i kid i kid :)
treweman
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 pm

treweman wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Another batch of (relatively) affordable stuff has popped up:

http://sebastianfoster.com/brettamory.aspx
Thanks Smith. Just picked up one of the studies. Thought it would fill my need for a Brett OG until a bigger, grail piece crosses my path. I actually was inexplicably drawn to the one I bought. Can't really explain it, but a variety of thoughts and emotions swept over me as I looked at the image.
image.jpg
Just received an update from Lad at Sebastion Foster. Apparently they noticed something amiss with the painting I bought as they were packing it up for shipment, and sent it to Brett to be fixed. I don't know what the extent of the problem is, nor what Brett will do about it. On the one hand, I'm somewhat apprehensive, as I really liked the image that I bought. On the other hand, it is a bit exciting to think that Brett is doing this for me, and not just some unnamed potential buyer.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm

I know it ain't an original or a hand-finished print, but I've been an admirer of Amory for a while and finally got my first print in the mail today (Waiting #78). I think I'll be ordering a Waiting #71 tomorrow to get a little set going. Anyway, proud to start the Amory collection!
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 am

Nice! Waiting#78 is underappreciated imho.

For those in Oaktown or the Bay Area, Brett's latest show opens Saturday at Zero Friends:
"The Anonymous series is a cross-section of portraits based on passport photos. The deadpan portraits are culled from hundreds of found and discarded passport photos.These paintings are a sampling of random American faces. Like booking shots of people who have been arrested, passport photos are not meant to be glamorous. Head shots taken quickly by photographers with no personal interest in the subject. These straight-faced photos are meant only to be used for documentation purposes. I paint from ‘rejected’ and thus even less ‘beautiful’ passport photos with all their imperfections - closed eyes, big noses, or sagging eyelids - yet capturing their beauty, still the same."
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 am

A couple more study pieces will be dropping shortly at The Outsiders
They are the same size, but a bit pricier than the ones from Sebastian Foster

http://www.theoutsiders.net/item/7025,study-13

http://www.theoutsiders.net/item/7024,study-11

treweman
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

treweman wrote:
treweman wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Another batch of (relatively) affordable stuff has popped up:

http://sebastianfoster.com/brettamory.aspx
Thanks Smith. Just picked up one of the studies. Thought it would fill my need for a Brett OG until a bigger, grail piece crosses my path. I actually was inexplicably drawn to the one I bought. Can't really explain it, but a variety of thoughts and emotions swept over me as I looked at the image.
image.jpg
Just received an update from Lad at Sebastion Foster. Apparently they noticed something amiss with the painting I bought as they were packing it up for shipment, and sent it to Brett to be fixed. I don't know what the extent of the problem is, nor what Brett will do about it. On the one hand, I'm somewhat apprehensive, as I really liked the image that I bought. On the other hand, it is a bit exciting to think that Brett is doing this for me, and not just some unnamed potential buyer.
Very excited. My Study OG just landed, and I dropped it at the framers to be float framed. It is beyootifull! Not sure what was wrong, but whatever it was, it apparently wasn't serious.
fnord
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Glad to hear it. I'm looking forward to pics
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
halflife78
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Bob's Donuts came in today, looks even better in person. :notworthy:

Only issue I am going to have is Brett's sig falls into the 1/8 inch or so white border, not sure how I am going to handle that when framing since the wife has designated this a bedroom framing.