New Banksy Print

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
gorkie
Art Freak
Posts: 12681
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Was offered a signed GWB (Edition of 150) today from a well known gallery in the U.S. for $240k.

Um - thank you, but I'll have to pass.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
Image
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Wed May 29, 2019 8:41 pm

these galleries and their classless low balling.

Signed tho, not a bad deal for a quarter mill.
User avatar
aldobishalini
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 am
Location: Ventura, California
Contact:

Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 am

SPAC04 wrote:these galleries and their classless low balling.

Signed tho, not a bad deal for a quarter mill.
But does it contain his fingerprint on the back?
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
Posts: 7220
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Last week I was lucky enough to visit "The Art of Banksy" traveling exhibit which is currently in Gothenburg, Sweden. This is the unauthorized show curated by Steve Lazarides, his former agent. It covers the years from when they first met in the early 2000s through 2008 when their partnership ended. It's as much a catalog of Laz's personal collection of Bankys 'things' (used stencils, WIP prints, ect) as anything else, lots of cool stuff from the early days. It was especially cool to get to see such an extensive collection of his screenprints in person after a decade of looking at them on a computer screen. There was also a number of originals as well as gift shop at the end, as you'd expect.

Overall really cool and worth the ~$20 admission, though it's too bad none of that goes to Banksy. If I recall this has been in Miami, Amsterdam, and probably a few other cities. Worth checking out if it comes to a city in your area.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 51133
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Luls. Banksy don't need (nor does he prolly want) dat money. Laz on the other hand prolly does need it to keep his fledgling "galleries" afloat.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:29 am

theperfecttree wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:36 pm
There was also a number of originals as well as gift shop at the end, as you'd expect.
What was he selling in the shop?
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
Posts: 7220
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:26 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Luls. Banksy don't need (nor does he prolly want) dat money. Laz on the other hand prolly does need it to keep his fledgling "galleries" afloat.
I've always been curious who funds Banksy, money has to come from somewhere. Dude's gotta eat and Dismaland couldn't have been cheap.

Laz is doing fine and has that Qatari /Janet Jackson money now :P
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
Posts: 7220
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:30 am

SPAC04 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:29 am
What was he selling in the shop?
Conversion rate is ~10-1 so shirts were ~$25 USD. Everything was rather cheaply made IMO. Shirts were those scratchy Glidan ones

Image
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 17303
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 am

Nice pics THEPERFECTTREE. Looks like a lot of fun.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 51133
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 am

theperfecttree wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:26 am
Codeblue wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Luls. Banksy don't need (nor does he prolly want) dat money. Laz on the other hand prolly does need it to keep his fledgling "galleries" afloat.
I've always been curious who funds Banksy, money has to come from somewhere. Dude's gotta eat and Dismaland couldn't have been cheap.
Duke sells his work like any other artist. Just does it more quietly (except for the semi recent publicity stunt at auction).
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
SPAC04
Art Expert
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: New York

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:01 pm

theperfecttree wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:30 am
SPAC04 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:29 am
What was he selling in the shop?
Conversion rate is ~10-1 so shirts were ~$25 USD. Everything was rather cheaply made IMO. Shirts were those scratchy Glidan ones

Image
thanks tree, not too bad for a canvas lol
User avatar
maddog76
Flipper
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 am

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 am

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 am
theperfecttree wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:26 am
Codeblue wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Luls. Banksy don't need (nor does he prolly want) dat money. Laz on the other hand prolly does need it to keep his fledgling "galleries" afloat.
I've always been curious who funds Banksy, money has to come from somewhere. Dude's gotta eat and Dismaland couldn't have been cheap.
Duke sells his work like any other artist. Just does it more quietly (except for the semi recent publicity stunt at auction).
He sold a print to idiot from that British fudge band, forgot name, think he paid 2 million plus. He does commissions.
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2273
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am

maddog76 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 am
Codeblue wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 am
theperfecttree wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:26 am
Codeblue wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Luls. Banksy don't need (nor does he prolly want) dat money. Laz on the other hand prolly does need it to keep his fledgling "galleries" afloat.
I've always been curious who funds Banksy, money has to come from somewhere. Dude's gotta eat and Dismaland couldn't have been cheap.
Duke sells his work like any other artist. Just does it more quietly (except for the semi recent publicity stunt at auction).
He sold a print to idiot from that British fudge band, forgot name, think he paid 2 million plus. He does commissions.
The Beatles?
I'm not someone else.
southerngarden
Art Expert
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Miami & The FL Keys

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:54 am

hasn't it pretty much been confirmed that he is one of the dudes from Massive Attack? he would have a crazy amount of cash flow from that to pay for all his stunts and his "non-selling" work pieces if that was actually the case. but even if he wasn't, he can sell his own piss and people would pay to drink it now. dude has no shortage of funds.
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 am

but did he contribute to the EB fundrun of 2018?
Post Reply