New Banksy Print

General art-related discussion.
ivxx4all
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:08 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Some of Banksy's works are very much tied to current events/phenomenon:

Yes, but Pokemon go is a little more specific than tear gas in France, issues with oil companies, or refugees. Those issues could be considered current events no doubt, but they play at issues that have affected society for years and in places all across the globe. I don't see the issue that is represented by Pikachu (I know you mentioned earlier about people always having their face in there phones all the time, but the sculpture doesnt allude to that. Those other works point out issues like kids having to deal with tear gas, or double standards/hypocrisy in the realm of refugees/immigrants, and the tesco one; well, he's used the tesco brand on many occasions to comment on the oil industry.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Kramerica wrote:It doesn't seem like his work at all to me. Seems like there isn't really any message like there usually is.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
patsman
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Kramerica wrote:It doesn't seem like his work at all to me. Seems like there isn't really any message like there usually is.
:shock:
bulkhead72
Art Expert

RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

:lol: :lol:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
ivxx4all
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Image
:lol: nice
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 pm

:lol:
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:46 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Image
Got a hauling cru at the ready to scoop it up just in case it gets confirmed?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:55 am

Eddie and Carlos are just a phone call away.
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:32 am

what if . . . just a thought here, the artist put a statue of pikachu because pokemon is awesome and the artist likes the games?

I mean for drymounts sakes guys, not everything is a social commentary on current issues. If this statue was indeed meant to demonstrate pokemon's command over the plebs and unwashed masses than I would expect a more Lenin styling. The pikachu's positioning seems to say "drymount you" as in "drymount you, pokemon is cool again".
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 am

Is this like ISIS? Where sometimes the perp doesn't claim responsibility for a little bit?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:58 am

bulkhead72 wrote:I think smuggling a statue of Pikachu into a historic park is very Banksy and delivers a pretty clear message: there is a generation of people that revere Pokemon that would prefer to spend hours in a virtual world versus interacting with "real" people.

Literally putting a video game character/our fascination with media/the virtual world on a pedestal.

We will not know if it's Banksy until it's on his official site.
Or maybe the message is we revere something if it's new. How many of those people have been to that historic park in the last year? Mobs show up if it's an inconsequential character but when it's devoted to a person of consequence, no one visits. Reverence for current iconography is all we have.

Edit: This from idxx; That piece shows the competition between a direct connection with someone versus a digital one.

The juxtaposition of what we should revere and what we actually do revere.
Last edited by GoBluePanic on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not someone else.
chuckkeppler
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:59 am

my guess is it was commissioned by the people that made pokemon go. it's all about geurilla advertising.
yps
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Hey i just wanted to ask some Banksy experts if one of my STIK´s Lovers or Single Mum could get myself a Banksy Queen Vic with crtification? in a trade or so?
What do you guys think? Market for Stik prints seemed to be crazy lately.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Queen Vic is an interesting choice. As you know, it's not as wall friendly as some of Banksy's other prints, so usually does not sell for as high. $5-5.5K tops for a private sale, I would say, at this time. Public auctions go for higher, especially considering buyer's fees.

Given Stik's market of late, I think you could probably get close on a 1:1 trade. Might have to add ~ $1.5K on top if you really want to grab people's attention, as no one parts with their Banksy easily. :)

Selling one of your Stiks and going the all cash route would be your best bet, in my view.