Grzegorz Domaradzki - Bitchin' Movie Posters

General art-related discussion.
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Well done, I like how the perpetually-falling van made it!
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:09 pm

iambillyg wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:I'm interested to know why Gabz' style of linework for faces is more restrained in the two commissioned pieces than in his normal work (case in point: Fargo). There are less lines and overall "fuzziness" in the detail shots. Was that a commission group request or just a switch in approach?
Yes. We communicated with Gabz and requested him to do a hybrid of the line work he'd used in the past for his screen prints, mixed with the line work for his giclees and other works. Luckily, he was willing to accept the challenge and push himself.
Interesting. I was hoping that style would be more an evolution of his technique, much prefer it to his normal pencilwork. Good job on requesting that. Would love it if he breaks out that style more often from here on out, as I think it's damn near perfect.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
iambillyg wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:I'm interested to know why Gabz' style of linework for faces is more restrained in the two commissioned pieces than in his normal work (case in point: Fargo). There are less lines and overall "fuzziness" in the detail shots. Was that a commission group request or just a switch in approach?
Yes. We communicated with Gabz and requested him to do a hybrid of the line work he'd used in the past for his screen prints, mixed with the line work for his giclees and other works. Luckily, he was willing to accept the challenge and push himself.
Interesting. I was hoping that style would be more an evolution of his technique, much prefer it to his normal pencilwork. Good job on requesting that. Would love it if he breaks out that style more often from here on out, as I think it's damn near perfect.
Fargo was done a long whiles back, before any of these. I'm fairly certain this is his new style, as seen with his beautiful execution of Pacific Rim.
MatchsMalone
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Yeah that is a fantastic piece. I've been after an Inception print ever since I saw it. There have been a few Inception themed prints recently at some of the smaller galleries, but nothing that really "felt right" to me. This knocked it out of the park. What a fantastic image.

So yeah ... to the commission'ers that are in the market to (discretely) flip one of their copies, let's talk. As you might guess I'm a bit of a sucker for Chris Nolan, and this would find itself in a beautiful Peacedog frame prominently on my wall.
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
Danny4342
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
iambillyg wrote:
I seem to remember Roman saying that the Fargo piece had been completed at the start of the year (tried to find the post to quote it, but can't), which would also explain the back and forth in "evolution" of his style between the recent prints...I'm all in on Gabz whichever style he goes with - I hope there are a couple more from Odd City before the sub is up too...have to say, it's tough to call between the Predator and Inception for which is my favorite Gabz piece so far - it'd be interesting to see the difference between the metallics of these two (other than them being two different colours, obvy :D )

edit - damn you Billy and your fast fingers!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm

kryptonite wrote:
Fargo was done a long whiles back, before any of these. I'm fairly certain this is his new style, as seen with his beautiful execution of Pacific Rim.
REALLY good to hear, almost mitigates having no shot at Inception. :P Couldn't tell with his Pacific Rim piece given the lack of faces on it, just thought he executed robots and clouds really well. His Apocalypse Now though was really well done - just the right amount of linework for Kurtz. Hoped he'd keep that up but didn't know the timeframe for Fargo.

Looking forward to his next new-style piece, really excited. Whatever it is, I expect him to knock it out of the park.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Can we get a Tom Hardy close up?
Image _ Image
kryptonite
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm

aibohphobia wrote:Can we get a Tom Hardy close up?
The colours are pretty off on this one, which is why I didn't post it initially.

This also comes off darker / more gritty than in person. I'm no BillyG ;)
SakuWater
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Love the Raging Bull and Ice Cube.
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:14 pm

kryptonite wrote:
aibohphobia wrote:Can we get a Tom Hardy close up?
The colours are pretty off on this one, which is why I didn't post it initially.

This also comes off darker / more gritty than in person. I'm no BillyG ;)
Thanks!
Image _ Image
charter
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm

FlapJack wrote:
jimbobiii wrote:another variant eh?
It's all about the art.
Gotta pump it up!
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:37 pm

This might no joke be my favorite print of the last few years. I'd throw down Stout's for this if anyone wants to talk 8)
charter
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm

I would give all my Stouts for it.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Very nice. Wish I could own one.
alittle
Art Freak

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:08 pm

cha-ching!