If a Print is damaged what is it worth?

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
Cragars
Art Expert
Posts: 7467
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:04 am

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm

:( Was this the bride variant that had a few bidding on it recently?

Sucks dude.

File a claim and get your money back then look for another. He can deal with the claim on his own if he can't package the thing correctly.
User avatar
itschris
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm
Location: Sunny So Cali

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 pm

franklinstowr wrote:
itschris wrote:the thing is that it was insured by USPS and the seller is getting the full insurance money back..be he gave me the option of either keeping the print and getting 50% of my money back or i send the print back, he sends my money back..and pretty much he keeps the print and the money he sold the print for, which imo is not right..

just wanted to see what other people suggest or do. I paid for a mint item not a 50% damage product...but I dont want the seller to have the "lock and key"
his options to you sound extremely shady. First of all, he already got paid for the print from the initial sale. He is not losing any money. Second, there is no guarantee that if you send him the print back he will pay you.

What I would do is file a claim with ebay/paypal, indicating item not as described and making sure to document the demands he made to you. Something just doesn't sound right here.

It is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you in the condition as described.

If you're unsure about filing the claim, call paypal first and explain the situation to them, they can explain the options you have available to you
This...thank you Franklin..I'd like to keep the print but not at what i paid for it. If I return it I don't want him to have the print and the money I paid for it.

The problem is, is the price I got the print at was a STEAL..and will probably never get one again at this price.
Last edited by itschris on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
User avatar
RiotAct
EB Trainee
Posts: 17571
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 pm

mind if I ask which print it was??? Just curious
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
User avatar
trarex
Art Expert
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 pm

I'll pass on door number 3 and take what's in the box.
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
franklinstowr
Flipper
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

file claim, get refund, buy another if you can.

or you can try to bargain with the seller for a better price on the damaged print if you return it. I would do it all through the claim process though.

Worse case scenario is you get a full refund and have to hunt down the print again
User avatar
harrykeogh
Art Expert
Posts: 3435
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 pm

franklinstowr wrote:file claim, get refund, buy another if you can.

or you can try to bargain with the seller for a better price on the damaged print if you return it. I would do it all through the claim process though.

Worse case scenario is you get a full refund and have to hunt down the print again

He has already been offered a 50% discount, and it sounds like the print is in good enough shape to keep. If the print is in good enough shape to display, a 50% refund sounds fair to me. If the seller does not follow through with the 50% refund, file a paypal claim.
Image
User avatar
itschris
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm
Location: Sunny So Cali

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm

harrykeogh wrote:
franklinstowr wrote:file claim, get refund, buy another if you can.

or you can try to bargain with the seller for a better price on the damaged print if you return it. I would do it all through the claim process though.

Worse case scenario is you get a full refund and have to hunt down the print again

He has already been offered a 50% discount, and it sounds like the print is in good enough shape to keep. If the print is in good enough shape to display, a 50% refund sounds fair to me. If the seller does not follow through with the 50% refund, file a paypal claim.
Thanks Harry, it just sucks..that the Seller will get the other 50% of the money, which is a lot, when he didn't do anything at all. He's the winner in this situation. He gets more money then what he was asking.
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
User avatar
harrykeogh
Art Expert
Posts: 3435
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 pm

itschris wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:
franklinstowr wrote:file claim, get refund, buy another if you can.

or you can try to bargain with the seller for a better price on the damaged print if you return it. I would do it all through the claim process though.

Worse case scenario is you get a full refund and have to hunt down the print again

He has already been offered a 50% discount, and it sounds like the print is in good enough shape to keep. If the print is in good enough shape to display, a 50% refund sounds fair to me. If the seller does not follow through with the 50% refund, file a paypal claim.
Thanks Harry, it just sucks..that the Seller will get the other 50% of the money, which is a lot, when he didn't do anything at all. He's the winner in this situation. He gets more money then what he was asking.

I do see your point, but it is a slippery slope.
Image
User avatar
halftonegraphics
Art Freak
Posts: 15372
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Don't mean to offend you in anyway, but here's my opinion..

You as the buyer are responsible for getting the item you paid for. If the item is not as it was sold to you, then you need to file a claim and get your money back. You, as the buyer, should not and need not to worry what happens to the item afterward nor need to worry what the seller profits from, if anything. To get your money back, you return the item. A simple concept.

Clearly, you are disappointed that the print is damaged. Also, clearly, you are wondering if the 50% savings is worth keeping the damaged print. The way you are portraying it though, it seems as if you are trying to steal the 'lock and key' from the seller and profit from it for yourself. To me, it appears that you are wondering if the print may be worth more than the 50% of the paid value and whether you can sell it to make some money and then purchase a new one and still be in the profit. If you were actually thinking of keeping the print and getting the 50% back as a SAVINGS, I don't think you would be posting about it. You would be satisfied with your decision and not need to poll the public. Again, just how I portray it.

Again, no intent of offending you, but really, it seems that the easy choice is to file a claim, get your money back, and move on and purchase one from a seller that understands the value of the print and knows how to ship it.

And just for reference, I know the shoes that the seller is in. I thankfully have not had any claims on prints but have had a handful on damaged neon signs. The seller is just looking to get their product back. They get their product back. You get your money back. They already know they are getting their money from the claim, so why not see if they can get the print back, which technically is THEIRS if you file the claim. You are responsible for returning the item.

Again, don't make it more than it is. If you want the print as purchased (undamaged), then return it, get your money back, and find a new one.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
User avatar
halftonegraphics
Art Freak
Posts: 15372
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:51 pm

trarex wrote:I'll pass on door number 3 and take what's in the box.
You just won a goat.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
User avatar
itschris
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm
Location: Sunny So Cali

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:01 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:Don't mean to offend you in anyway, but here's my opinion..

You as the buyer are responsible for getting the item you paid for. If the item is not as it was sold to you, then you need to file a claim and get your money back. You, as the buyer, should not and need not to worry what happens to the item afterward nor need to worry what the seller profits from, if anything. To get your money back, you return the item. A simple concept.

Clearly, you are disappointed that the print is damaged. Also, clearly, you are wondering if the 50% savings is worth keeping the damaged print. The way you are portraying it though, it seems as if you are trying to steal the 'lock and key' from the seller and profit from it for yourself. To me, it appears that you are wondering if the print may be worth more than the 50% of the paid value and whether you can sell it to make some money and then purchase a new one and still be in the profit. If you were actually thinking of keeping the print and getting the 50% back as a SAVINGS, I don't think you would be posting about it. You would be satisfied with your decision and not need to poll the public. Again, just how I portray it.

Again, no intent of offending you, but really, it seems that the easy choice is to file a claim, get your money back, and move on and purchase one from a seller that understands the value of the print and knows how to ship it.

And just for reference, I know the shoes that the seller is in. I thankfully have not had any claims on prints but have had a handful on damaged neon signs. The seller is just looking to get their product back. They get their product back. You get your money back. They already know they are getting their money from the claim, so why not see if they can get the print back, which technically is THEIRS if you file the claim. You are responsible for returning the item.

Again, don't make it more than it is. If you want the print as purchased (undamaged), then return it, get your money back, and find a new one.
none taken at all sir. It's definetely wont be resold on my end anytime soon if I choose to. I wanted to get it framed..and maybe later..if I so choose and get tired of it, sell it for more then what I paid for and get fair market value for what it really is. Since it's damaged I wont get a anything remotely close to the value I bought it for.
Codeblue wrote:That might be one of the stupidest, most irresponsible things I've ever read.
User avatar
halftonegraphics
Art Freak
Posts: 15372
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 pm

If you are looking at keeping it then, I think you might be the only one to answer the question then. Is the 50% savings worth keeping the print? Are YOU satisfied with it?

Yes, I do understand that you also need to consider whether or not the value is still there. If it isn't, then it's a simple answer. Return it, get your money back, and buy elsewhere.

The problem with your situation and you trying to do the 'right' thing, is that you have eBay/PayPal versus USPS. Is order for you to get your money back from eBay/PayPal you are required to send the item back to the seller. As for USPS, technically, if the claim has been filed and rewarded, you are responsible to hand the print over to USPS. If you want to stick it to the seller, you could hand the print over to USPS. That solves your issue with the seller profiting in addition to the claim. The problem though is now you no longer have the print and can not return it to the seller for the eBay/PayPal claim. Either way, to do the 'right' thing, you are going to be stuck with eBay vs USPS.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
User avatar
Rick_a_c
EB Trainee
Posts: 9590
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 am

Just looking at this thread for the first time. The only thing you can say with certainty is that a damaged print is worth less than an undamaged copy. Period.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
User avatar
DarthHippie
Art Expert
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 am

Why hide what print it is??? Spill the drymounting beans.
Image
User avatar
shoeless
Art Expert
Posts: 4766
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Nashville

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:03 am

Whats going on here?
Is it really that hard of a decision?

A. Get refund. Send mystery print back.

B. Keep mystery print and receive 50% back of what you paid.

Shouldnt be this hard of a decision. I understand you seem worried about the seller getting more than what may be "fair". So? That really shouldnt be of any concern to you. If you get your money back, no harm done to you. If you get half your money back and a slightly damaged print that you like, it seems like a win/win....especially since youve already seemed to get great deal on it.
fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.
Post Reply