Is print collecting dying?

General art-related discussion.
goldenrose
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 pm

I unwittingly got into this hobby when I bought a print at a Phish concert back in 2009. I was actually puzzled when the merchandise guy gingerly put the print on the glass case and handed me the tube separately. Little did I know how fanatical collectors can be - myself now included :D.

Getting more to the point, did print collecting hit it's zenith already? Was there a time in recent history when things were really cooking? Are there more members here than ever before or has membership been decreasing? I see new members all the time so my impression is that print collecting is only getting stronger. Is this a dying pursuit or one that is thriving more than ever?
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
Catarax
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

women have subsided my print collecting prowess..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
nimsu8
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:37 pm

are we talking about print collecting or print flipping/selling?
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"
jojobadass
Art Freak

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm still selling posters.

so, I'm pretty sure someone is buying them.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

and for everything else under the sun; including fine art, art prints, toys and other junk....be sure to check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosfineart.com
jason-bry
Flipper

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Catarax wrote:women have subsided my print collecting prowess..
For a moment, I was jealous. I read it as "women have subsidized my print collecting prowess". :lol:
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Is Stout going to become the next one? Is Mondo going be able to keep up the pace it has set for itself during the last year?
Will this go the way of other hobbies (Sports Cards, Comics etc)

I'm new to this and I'm thinking of buying up items, but some things don't make sense. Take for instance a Stout Akira or the Frankenstein that will be available shortly. Should they be worth $800+? Guys like Mr. Brainwash and others are producing more and more stuff all the time and there is only so many dollars to go around. As soon as too much stuff gets created that's when the beginning of the end is near.

There will always be the collector, but others that got involved because of the fast buck that caused this oversaturation, that is what will kill the market.
http://www.legendaryframes.com

I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 pm

bethemonkey wrote:I was wondering the same thing. Is Stout going to become the next one? Is Mondo going be able to keep up the pace it has set for itself during the last year?
Will this go the way of other hobbies (Sports Cards, Comics etc)

I'm new to this and I'm thinking of buying up items, but some things don't make sense. Take for instance a Stout Akira or the Frankenstein that will be available shortly. Should they be worth $800+? Guys like Mr. Brainwash and others are producing more and more stuff all the time and there is only so many dollars to go around. As soon as too much stuff gets created that's when the beginning of the end is near.

There will always be the collector, but others that got involved because of the fast buck that caused this oversaturation, that is what will kill the market.

Sheesh, depressing first post.... :hanging:

It's not (all) about investments, some folks actually love and hang the artworks/acquisitions, a novel approach to be sure. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
cardhawks
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

The secondary market is fading some because the artists have honed their fair market value and edition sizes to maximize their take.
Artist's Print/Poster prices have more than doubled over the past 3-4 years. Some of the most collectible gig posters were $25 or less just a few years ago.
Now you are hard-pressed to find those $25 above avg prints.
Now we pay $50 or more from some of the "top tier artists" for their posters unless you are actually at the concert to pick one up.
It's great that the artists are finally maxing out profits on their products but as collectors we aren't seeing anything spectacular for the price increase and the secondary market hype is dying.
This is a huge generalization of my opinion but overall when prints/posters flipped for secondary profits everyone was excited that their posters held investment value, which is one of the key factors of what we choose to spend our money on (whether you choose to admit that or not)
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm

I think you can do both. I would fit into that category. I wish to invest and collect, but a true collector will never be an investor and a true investor will never be a collector.

If you wish to be an investor then you must be willign to sell anyhting for the right price.
If you are a collector you won't see them sell a certain print no matter what.
http://www.legendaryframes.com

I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 pm

All I can say is I find it ironic that when I first got into the art scene (2006) I stayed away from original art because it seemed like most of the galleries were eletist places that sold to certain select individuals before the general public and I never had a chance at the artwork I really wanted while with posters, even in demand ones were usually sold online and I had as much of a chance as anyone else even though I didn't always get what I wanted.

Fast Forward to 2011 and all this crap with MMM/the new keyes/horkey SDCC etc. (sell only to locals who will immediately flip for $$$) and overall improvement in gallery sales/artist direct sales, and I find myself buying a lot more original art and getting really discouraged by the poster scene.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Catarax
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:21 pm

that's why you have an open collection and a private one.. i have a lot of stuff i don't want to sell, but i'm sure i will never sell at least 12 pieces in my collection ever..

as of now..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
OtisMcfluster
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Art prints? No.

Gig posters? Yes, a bit.
Lomier66
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:23 pm

People will always love art and instinctively want to hang things on their walls that make them happy. I do see nice pieces stagnating on Ebay these days but just assumed that the state of the global economy at present had given the after market a kick in the teeth. Sure it's the same for most collectables markets.

Had hoped the global dip would have delivered me a White Cosmonaut or a Thunder at a decent price :lol: ... no such joy... pie in the sky hopes :lol:
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I think this entire premise is silly. There will always be art reproductions, there will always be gigposters, and now there seems to be a third main niche with the money press that is movie posters. With those things comes people that collect them. Trends come and go but this stuff will always exist.

In fact, this whole "all things pop culture" movement has swollen the ranks of the print and entry-level art collector. And, we didn't have multiple print-drop blogs back in the day, we didn't have multiple sites doing runs (Tiny Showcase, 1xRun, 20x200, etc.), and we didn't have a handful of forums that could be used as resources (EB, GP, Artchival, Banksy, etc.).

In my opinion, between the 3rd wave coming -- all things pop -- and the Internet catching up, print collecting is stronger now than it's been in, well, probably ever.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
cardhawks
Art Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:29 pm

I get tired of seeing the same prints on my walls for years, and I'm a huge collector.
Tastes change and it's nice to be able to sell your stuff if you think it will at least hold some value.
I think that any hobbyist can tell you the value of their collection no matter what it is, they are an "expert" with fmv of what they collect.
Sure, the passion of the art is still there, but anyone that collects large amounts of items will soon feel the pressure to streamline that collection.
People tend to pigeonhole flippers as those strictly in it to make money....that's not the case at all.... most flippers start with the passion for the art and get caught up in the exchange whether there is profit or not to obtain those pieces that are more desirable so it becomes a daily game to one-up themselves with their collection. That's why the secondary market is important for print values. If investment potential dies then the hobby stagnates, like it or not.
In the lng run it hurts the artists more than the flippers, because the flippers will move on to the next hot item.