The Art of Ravi Zupa

General art-related discussion.
ciphe
Art Expert

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 pm

electrachrome wrote:
ciphe wrote:
chuckkeppler wrote:
ciphe wrote:My girlfriend picked me up a match book, I found a nice shadow box for it. Any suggestions how to mount it?
where'd you find it? been looking for a way to display them behind glass. I was thinking of running fishing line through them (not piercing the box, but through it), then running the line behind the box and through a piece of matting or foam core, and tying it in the back. seems like there would be an easier way, though. maybe some metal brackets?
Aaron Bros, it's a 3x4 shadow box
I was thinking that or getting really fine pins, placing them top and bottom and wedging the matchbox between them.
I couldn't tell how they did it from the framed versions that were available on the site.
Use magnets. 1 in the box & 1 behind the matt or glued to the backing.
eBay 291626809168
awesome, thanks! any idea if the magnet could cause any discoloring over time?
Ken
Art Expert

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 pm

Ravi Zupa: "The Turmoil of Being"
On view: September 1 - September 24, 2016
Opening reception: Thursday, September 1 (6pm-10pm)

Hashimoto Contemporary is pleased to present "The Turmoil of Being", a solo show of new works by Colorado-based artist Ravi Zupa. Highlighting Zupa’s multifaceted studio practice, the exhibition features new works on paper, fabricated sculptures and a large scale installation. Zupa utilizes a broad range of techniques to inter-weave imagery from a myriad of cultures.

Taking cues from Renaissance portraiture, totalitarian propaganda and Eastern iconography, Zupa creates a unique universe of historic characters and anthropomorphic creatures. Figures are precisely rendered to emulate the stylings of Japanese wood-block illustrations, Medieval religious art, and zoological drawings. However, each pastiche is intervened with bold reference to modernity and a looming dystopian future.

"The Turmoil of Being" brings together several of Zupa’s ongoing bodies of work. His series, "Age of Enlightenment", display his mastery of combining traditional methods of printmaking, assemblage, and painting. Zupa’s ornate work seems as it were unearthed from centuries ago, yet it contains traces of our contemporary age. Dreamlike, unsettling and mysterious, these works unify what is seemingly unrelated, to strive towards something universal.

In his continuing series, "Mightier Than", Zupa dismantles and welds together pieces of antique typewriters to create realistic depictions of modern assault rifles. Upon closer inspection, barrels and triggers are merely carriages and keys. Each weapon is even loaded with ammunition meticulously crafted from discarded pencil stubs and fountain-pens. This work confronts the violent and absurd by re-interpreting the old adage “the pen is mightier than the sword.”

Zupa’s exhibition culminates in a life-size sculptural installation. An elaborately costumed Samurai rides on horseback, wielding an assembled typewriter rifle. This monumental work provokes viewers to be physically immersed into Zupa’s milieu.

Please join us for “Turmoil of Being”, opening Thursday, September 1, with an evening reception from 6pm - 10pm. The exhibition will be on view until Saturday, September 24.

For more information, additional images, or exclusive content, please email us at info@hashimotocontemporary.com

1000steps
Art Expert

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:22 pm

those Mightier Than assault rifles are so badass....and everything else Ravi does
Welcome to the sleaze pit
Ken
Art Expert

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Had a great time at Ravi's opening last week, it was nice having him in town and he really went above and beyond on his installation and presentation. Here's a quick look at the show, it'll be on view at our gallery on Sutter Street in San Francisco until September 24th, so if you're in the area please swing by and say hi.

The show has sold tremendously well, we only have a handful of works left, which you can view here:
http://store.hashimotocontemporary.com/ ... moil-being

marieselden

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:49 am

Very good art photo,like it
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Sun May 14, 2017 12:49 am

Anyone else a Zupa fan? Just started collecting a year or so ago, and Ravi has instantly become one of my favorites.

Anyone have some nice pieces to post? Want to get this thread going again.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
CHR1S
Art Expert

Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 pm

IMG_1379a.jpg
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue May 16, 2017 9:20 pm

USA and Mexico

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 am

New piece from Ravi Zupa

TITLE: Tupac, Thug Life
SIZE: 8 x 6 Inches
MEDIA: Traffic cone block print mounted to wood and hand finished
EDITION: 30 Slightly unique
PRICE: $100

http://www.ravizupa.com/store/

chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am

Didn't see any love for this, might have missed it. Good artist and interesting new print.
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:46 am

He's my favorite. Hoping to grab his release today.

SHTexclamation
Art Enthusiast

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:46 am

Release today...

Love Thy Enemy. 10 x 13 inches. #Letterpress on cream cotton paper with hand-deckled edges. Signed by #RaviZupa. Numbered edition of 200. $55. Available Tuesday, October 24 @ 10 AM (PDT) on ObeyGiant.com in Store under Prints. Limit 1 per person/household.

https://obeygiant.com/?id=81938
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

aldobishalini wrote:He's my favorite. Hoping to grab his release today.
I know, saw your posts and surprised you did not post. Was not sure you were aware didn't want to assume and better safe than sorry to know. Good luck with the drop, I am thinking I may go for one as I like the message, want to see his shirts as well. Do you know if the clothing was limited, wondering why wait for 10am to drop clothes.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Didn't see it mentioned but tomorrow 1xrun drops a new Zupa, know a couple fans here.

https://www.1xrun.com/exhibitions/ravi- ... pot&ref=ps
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Already on it!