Invaders in your city!!

General art-related discussion.
maddog76
Flipper

Thu May 23, 2019 1:04 am

Codeblue wrote:
jesterguy wrote:Saw this one (and a bunch of others) when I was down in Miami Beach over the weekend. Sorry I only got a picture of this one, the others I spotted were as I was driving around. This was around Collins and...10th maybe? I can't recall the exact cross street, I was a little drunk at the time :pint:

Are ya sure dats his? Looks like an amateur hour copy.
Should have asked him 6 years ago.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 am

I have still not gotten around to loading any pics to this thread.
I obviously saw quite a few very nice ones on a trip to Paris back in 2017 and as I said earlier he has hit Miami hard. The ones in Paris by the famous Shakespeare Bookstore are really cool.

I don't know for sure but im sorta convinced that he's been back to Miami since his last "invasion" in 2012. I know that some of his pieces from that year were removed/destroyed and have since been put back up. Also he has one out on a house in "Stiltsville" which is a small cluster of homes built on sandbars in southern Biscayne Bay down here. Its a really cool part of historic Miami, homes just sticking out of the ocean with nothing but sand flats and deeper channels around them. Ive been out to look at it over the years since and multiple Invader stickers have been put up next to it since it first appeared, almost like he's checking on it and marking it off again.

I do subscribe to the copycat theory as some that I have seen just don't seem to look as "professional" as real ones that appear in his maps/books. Im glad that the one in Stiltsville is still there because it is mounted on wood and would be fairly easy to steal/remove with a saw. but it has suffered from the sun and salt and doesn't look as nice as when it first installed, plus birds fudge on it quite a bit.

I'll try to post pics if I ever get around to it. there is one mounted very high up on a bridge column that could only have been reached by boat and a very tall ladder. the dude definitely has some serious skills when it comes to mounting pieces in difficult places.

I hope he officially comes back to Miami soon. I missed out on the limited books with tiled covers that he released back in 2012 and only have one of the regular editions.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 23, 2019 2:38 am

maddog76 wrote:Should have asked him 6 years ago.
Spoiler alert: It ain't.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu May 23, 2019 12:56 pm

I remember seeing some of these in the wild in LA in 2011 I think. At the time I had no idea who Invader was but I found the works to be both pleasing and curious. I was stumped as to why they were there. I wish I would have taken pictures
I'm not someone else.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm

RIP Old Friend.
misterx
Art Expert

Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Hong Kong.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Back in Melbourne at present. Revisited a few old pieces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:49 am

Timely:

An iconic tile mosaic secretly installed in Melbourne by legendary street artist Invader 20 years ago is the centrepiece of City Gallery’s latest exhibition, 'Off the Grid'.

https://beat.com.au/new-exhibition-trac ... f-invader/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"