1xRUN

General art-related discussion.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:46 pm

dsanacore wrote:I just bought the last copy of something a few minutes ago and after it "sold out" they listed a few more copies at a higher price.
So. Yesterday when I made this post I bought two prints. I bought the last copy of each print and after my purchase they were "sold out." Now both prints are available again at a higher price than what I paid. On top of that, I just realized one of the prints I bought is readily available on Ebay for less than HALF of what 1xrun charged me. The print was originally sold by 1xrun for $75. They're now asking for $165 (plus shipping) and it can be found on Ebay for $80 (free shipping). I've asked for a full refund.

I stopped buying from 1xrun a long time ago because I thought the print quality was very subpar but this experience will definitely deter me from ever buying from them again.
Last edited by dsanacore on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
shagdonk
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:48 pm

You'll be back if they drop a Kawasaki.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:49 pm

I've got plenty haha.
Image Image
danebp
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't have an issue with raising prices as the number of prints available dwindles. This type of pricing is commonplace in many industries. What's deceptive is stating that a print is "Sold Out" when it isn't. It's an attempt to create a false impression as to the desirability and the available supply of the print, not unlike someone pumping up a penny stock. It's a distasteful practice.
Cyochens
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 pm

dsanacore wrote:
dsanacore wrote:I just bought the last copy of something a few minutes ago and after it "sold out" they listed a few more copies at a higher price.
So. Yesterday when I made this post I bought two prints. I bought the last copy of each print and after my purchase they were "sold out." Now both prints are available again at a higher price than what I paid. On top of that, I just realized one of the prints I bought is readily available on Ebay for less than HALF of what 1xrun charged me. The print was originally sold by 1xrun for $75. They're now asking for $165 (plus shipping) and it can be found on Ebay for $80 (free shipping). I've asked for a full refund.

I stopped buying from 1xrun a long time ago because I thought the print quality was very subpar but this experience will definitely deter me from ever buying from them again.
They tricked me on two by Doze Green yesterday. Lesson learned. Screw me once FU. Screw me twice, not gonna happen.
milligan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:49 pm

dsanacore wrote:
dsanacore wrote:I just realized one of the prints I bought is readily available on Ebay for less than HALF of what 1xrun charged me. The print was originally sold by 1xrun for $75. They're now asking for $165 (plus shipping) and it can be found on Ebay for $80 (free shipping). I've asked for a full refund.
I was looking around archive access in december and checked here before purchasing a print I wanted. Ended up getting it for half off with shipping included. Most everything on there can be had cheaper on here or eBay except a select few that were really low run or super popular.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:16 pm

danebp wrote:I don't have an issue with raising prices as the number of prints available dwindles. This type of pricing is commonplace in many industries.

I don't disagree. However I do think 1xRuns practice of arbitrarily raising prices way beyond even secondary market value is really distasteful. They're trying to take advantage of their customers who aren't aware that the print may be available for much less on places such as EB and Ebay.
Image Image
alittle
Art Freak

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:17 pm

It's not their job to monitor eBay to see what the prints are selling for. They set the price, and it sells, or it doesn't. It is the consumer's responsibility to be informed.
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:26 pm

I don't disagree. Though as a now informed customer I wont be buying from them again.
Image Image
danebp
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:44 pm

It is the consumer's responsibility. But I expect more from merchants I deal with regularly. I don't expect them to try to fool me or tell me it is sold out when it isn't.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:22 pm

I have always been on 1xRun's side of the whole archive access sale, but now I am really starting to wonder. I understand that there are AP's, PP's, etc that are not counted when a run shows "Sold out", but I think it would go a long way to squashing this whole arguement if they had some sort of inventory system that made it a bit more transparent.

Some of these prints sold out in seconds with low AP/PP counts (less than 10) and are showing up more often that I would have expected.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:25 pm

They ain't just selling PP in the Archive Sale. They sell prints from the regular run too.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Codeblue wrote:They ain't just selling PP in the Archive Sale. They sell prints from the regular run too.
Yeah I know. My assumption was that if the original numbered run was sold out during the allotted run time, they would be selling PP's and the artist had the option of getting the AP's and selling themselves or "letting it ride" so to speak in the archive sale.

If the run did not sell out during the time frame, it still gets marked as sold out in history and the remaining numbered prints + PP's + AP's (if the artist wanted) would be available for the archive sale.

I have no issue with them raising the prices as the prints get more scarce, that is just capitalism, but some of the more popular prints seem to keep showing up more often than I think they should. They have started putting the full run numbers (#'d, AP, PP) on the COA's, which is good.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Yeah, ditto pretty much every sentiment on this page. As an 'informed customer' I stopped buying from them a long time ago 8)

Having said that, I dug these up and don't need 'em anymore. Just let me know, if anyone wants "Archive Access" : :D

bmerel
Art Expert

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I used to buy from 1xruns. Never had a problem with shipping or quality. Having seen their "Archive Access" sales pop up every few months is just strange, most definitely sours me and smells of burnt cabbage. An archive sale is something that is most commonly seen once a year or so (if that)....and now, i see one pop up every other month. Putting the most obvious price inflation aside, something just doesn't sit well with me about this. Checks and balances are key to any sort of business operation. You have X amount of an edition run to sell, X amount of AP's and X amount of PP's. Once the run sells out, i've always believed that the AP's are in fact the ARTISTS PROOFS and remain theirs. PP's are dependent on who actually does the printing (?)... and it seems as though 1xruns gets those as well to sell. Having stated all of that and having read the other posts on this page, my stance is growing more cynical. I know that there are canceled orders, refunds, etc. which give the company access to extra prints from a run but it seems as if they are holding back pieces from editions only to re-sell them later/often at market prices while calling it an "Archive Access Sale". I'm not certain what all of the artists who participate with their company feel about this or if they in fact get their cut of the "sale" prices, but i would be interested to hear how this all sits with them.
Last edited by bmerel on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.