Custom Horkey Detritus Japan - Charity Auction

General art-related discussion.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 am

Well folks, Aaron sent over these pics of a custom Detritus Japan (steel grey) that he graciously donated for a good cause. A benefit art auction and show organized by Toy Tokyo and TT-Underground Gallery will take place this weekend (April 2nd and 3rd) in NYC. Many artist are involved in the show/auction so check the flyer below. All work on display will be auctioned off on eBay starting Monday April 4th, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to GlobalGiving.org to help relief efforts after the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan. All art auctions will be 10 day listings. The exhibit will only be in the gallery for two days, April 2-3. So if you are in NYC go check it out. If you are not in NYC check out all the auctions when they go up and bid for a good cause. I'm sure there will be more details/news coming through the normal channels, so stay tuned to find out what the other artists are offering up.

Ok, now check out this insanity...

Stingers
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 am

Good lord , that is insanity ! :shock:
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

OMG! This is awesome!!! :shock:

Where do get the funds?!?

Damn!
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am

That will be worth every penny of the winning bid regardless of how high it goes!
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
Tapecat
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 am

I know what room that'll end up in.

drymounting A!

That is to drool over. Hey Third eye when ya get that sell me your other one cheap. :wink:
Last edited by Tapecat on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 am

WOW!

Sick, sick, sick.

Can someone please post the ebay auction link if/when it begins? Please.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 am

Heh. I saw his name on that flyer about a week ago and was kind of hoping no one else would notice. :lol:

Looks great and an appropriate image considering the cause. I've got some money right now but probably not enough.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
kyle
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

very cool.

i'm sitting this one out, so that's one less serious horkster you dudes have to worry about. good luck !
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am

this may be a stupid question, but where exactly is all the hand finishing on this piece?

Is the whole dead bird thing painted over? Is the whole bottom of the print, megafauna scrollwork by the number, embellished?

I assume the red color is added.

Forgive me, but i have never seen a Detritus in person to be able to tell the differences.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

Tapecat wrote:Hey Third eye when ya get that sell me your other one cheap. :wink:
:lol: I do plan on bidding, but like greenhorn mentioned I probably will not have enough either.
greenhorn1 wrote:Heh. I saw his name on that flyer about a week ago and was kind of hoping no one else would notice. :lol:
I thought the same. But with these auctions being on eBay, it's kind of hard for people not to notice. Aaron wanted everyone to know anyway, since it's for charity. Obviously the more people that know, the more people will bid, and in turn more money being donated to the cause.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

mattlew69 wrote:this may be a stupid question, but where exactly is all the hand finishing on this piece?

Is the whole dead bird thing painted over? Is the whole bottom of the print, megafauna scrollwork by the number, embellished?

Forgive me, but i have never seen a Detritus in person to be able to tell the differences.
Aaron said the ray and the keys are painted over with acrylics. Added a bunch of highlights to the Mega Fauna logo. Then he went back and added grey highlights to the rest of the image, similar to what he did with the Midwestern Heart Variant. Basically anything white or light grey on the poster was added later.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 am

TheThirdEye wrote: I thought the same. But with these auctions being on eBay, it's kind of hard for people not to notice. Aaron wanted everyone to know anyway, since it's for charity. Obviously the more people that know, the more people will bid, and in turn more money being donated to the cause.
Yep, I really hope it can bring in a lot of money for the cause. I don't understand all these charity events that have taken place with cool fudge just for sale in NY/LA galleries. They're throwing so much $$ away in potential donations by limiting it to just people in those areas.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am

TheThirdEye wrote:
mattlew69 wrote:this may be a stupid question, but where exactly is all the hand finishing on this piece?

Aaron said the ray and the keys are painted over with acrylics. Added a bunch of highlights to the Mega Fauna logo. Then he went back and added grey highlights to the rest of the image, similar to what he did with the Midwestern Heart Variant. Basically anything white or light grey on the poster was added later.
THANKS THIRDEYE!
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 am

mattlew69 wrote:where exactly is all the hand finishing on this piece?
AHorkey wrote:Ray and keys are fully rendered with acrylic and screenprinting ink, egg sacks are shaded with ink, washed with a metallic silver transparent coat and hit with gouache highlights. The rest of the print is detailed with prismicolor pencil (highlights on grass and debris). Also added some drop shadows and detailing to the MEGAFAUNA logo on the bottom.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
decker3984
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 am

That being said... Where is the "gun to my head smilie" ? :shock:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.