Screen or Giclee Print?

General art-related discussion.
attackonthebass
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
wizzack wrote:When some kid in China is turning out thousands of Pacific Rim screen prints will it still be an art in itself?
Yes, people in China can still be artists. :-?
No racism was intended.
He means a piracy artprint sweatshop in china. Not that Chinese can't be artists.

After all,they had a roaring trade in Mao posters....

True talent is global. :)
Is that where they send all the time release prints ? :D

I kid I kid
Common sense, is not that common
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm

jlabbate wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:I think the question goes deeper than simply giclee v. screen print. Not all screen prints are created equal and neither are all giclees. Differences in paper, ink, screens, printers, the art itself...all are factors in what the final product looks and feels like. Rafa Jenn is the first artist that comes to mind who releases almost all giclees but they are on some awesome textured paper and look and feel great. Then there are some screen prints that are on sucky paper with poor registration that use cheap, muddled, water-based inks. And there is definitely some artistic ability involved in getting a good giclee-some of those Keyes pieces have to be meticulously pieced together to arrive at those results. It's all about the final product IMO.
yup
Part that kills me the most is that ppl will right off a piece that they really enjoy and connect to just because its printed giclee over screen printing.

Im pretty sure the piece you just connected to as a $325 35 color screenprint you wouldn't buy either.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

As an amateur screen printer, definitely lean towards those over giclees. Something about the process of pulling the screen, developing the piece based on a limited # of colors, the risk of drymounting up with each screen pulled.... I feel way more connected to the final piece, knowing the labor that went into each one. Of course I'm not naive, I realize some of the art I'm buying was pulled by a machine (I know there's a thread here about artists that still do their own printing, too lazy to look for it).
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
SoulSource
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

dougr wrote:one is a print, and the other is a print-out
haha I like that.

Screen prints look more like paint so tends to look better. But screenprints are very limited in use and sometimes you need to go the giclee route..

that being said :notworthy: geddes
Last edited by SoulSource on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
please ignore my name.. The things we think sound cool as children...
fribhey
Art Expert

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 pm

attackonthebass wrote:I agree that Screen printing in itself is an art form.

I guess what I'm getting at is why can't Josh Keyes have his art screen printed? To me Giclee's should be fairly inexpensive ( unless it's the paper thats so expensive ? )

But I see prints quite often that are going for a premium $130 retail and up and they're Giclee's, and I'm just curious if maybe it's more expensive to create prints in this fashion?
Giclees are not cheap - ink, paper and printers are all expensive, they are not desktop inkjet printers. and you can't replicate super fine detail in a screen print than you can a digital print.

Screen printing is part of the creation process, pushing a print button on a computer is not.
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Geddes are giclee. #justsayin
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
SoulSource
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 pm

mrkyuss wrote:Geddes are giclee. #justsayin
Yea I know, dont worry lol

My point being some people, like Geddes, have to go the giclee route. And they can still be great prints.

:shock: <- staring you down.

Just playing <3
please ignore my name.. The things we think sound cool as children...
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Whatever gets you the best end product of art.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 pm

though screen printing can be much more time consuming and require more of a skillset, printing an inkjet can be quite close when compared. adjusting color profiles. getting the blacks to print just enough so that they dont oversaturate. getting that red just as pure as the original. etc.

unfortunately, i think the realm of inkjet gets bombs by some artists and galleries that just donts take proper time to produce a solid product. laminate with their initial runs. that amy sol print was laughable. bottleneck and the noir series. dont think i have seen soo much variance in a greyscale print series. leslie ann o'dell and her undersaturated prints. its not something you just jump into.

same can be said with screening though. hell, even mondo and big companies have their problems. look at the recent Things to Come print. appears to have three major registration/screen issues that passed for editioning (they may be intentional, but they seem so awkward that i would disagree).

it takes proper time and skills.

when it comes down to it though, i will always take a screen over an inkjet anyday though.

to answer the OPs question, there are far too many variables. short runs. long runs. number of colors. setup time. setup materials. material costs. etc. looking at a long run, i would say screen would be cheaper as for price per piece.

$.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
whl10
Art Expert

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 am

i want to buy something from the op
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 am

Who merged the threads? It had me confused.
whl10
Art Expert

mrkyuss wrote:Who merged the threads? It had me confused.
i did.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

jkw3000 wrote:Whatever gets you the best end product of art.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:20 am

Is this the place to discuss FS threads?