Screen or Giclee Print?

General art-related discussion.
heathunter881

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm

I've read that certain image looks better when screen printed and some looks better when printed using giclee. Can someone elaborate? Personally I prefer screen printed artwork since it looks more authentic, meaning it doesn't look like someone just made it from their house and printed it using their printer.
hirschy75
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm

heathunter881 wrote:I've read that certain image looks better when screen printed and some looks better when printed using giclee. Can someone elaborate? Personally I prefer screen printed artwork since it looks more authentic, meaning it doesn't look like someone just made it from their house and printed it using their printer.
I'd say it depends on the printer and on the actual image
reminder: ink on paper
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Solids, halftones, gradations and lines = great for screen printing.

Large amounts of detail and/or full color = giclee.

Also depends on the image. Inkjet can play very well with the paper. So can screen printing, depending on the ink consistency. Screen printing is also great for laying down a solid layer of color that pops, say metallic.

Generally speaking, in order to do a screen print of something, the image needs to have the capability of being separated into single colors or gradations of colors. Each is limited to its own capabilities. A screen print can only go as fine as the screen it is printed with.

Just my two cents. Take what you can. Leave what you can't. Make sure to wash your hands afterward.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Tadrules
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

it has more to do with printing logistics than a collectors desire. it's about reproduction vs cost most of the time, not what looks better. everyone would love to have their work screened for the most part. the sad part is that if you screened stuff that should be done as giclees, they lose a lot of detail. makes it easier to do smaller runs as well. you can't really justify screening small runs with large amounts of color.

if your going to screenprint something, it should be designed with that thought in mind.
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

i've never bought a giclee and probably never will.

as far as i know when a giclee is done right it looks good but i'd just rather my stuff be screened.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 pm

I stared at my first giclee (a Keyes) for hours when I first got it because it was such high printing quality. I was blown away how much it looked like a painting. Such fine detail like his or Geddes demand such a print technique. Not to say a screenprint can't be amazing...checkout the thread on the 100+ color screened poster.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
dasher12
Art Expert

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Where's the thread for the 100 color poster? i've searched and been unable to find. Can anyone provide a link?
trarex
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 am

I once saw the legendary 100 screen print.
It took 3 chickens from the coop out back and made off across the field.
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
evdisease
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 am

screen for me. the work alone .....
billyguarantee you mbw is giclee ..... lo siento i had to :pint:

I`m nobody, I never did an exposition and a gallery really, I never show any work anywhere and I`m doing this big show and it`s all a make up kinda way you know....
Tadrules
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:11 am

i prefer originals. :twisted:
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:02 am

The thing to keep in mind really is that there are images that can only be printed mechanically (and then it's best to use the finest giclee on the finest paper) and there are other images that live from strong flat colors, that look way better screened (IMO!). I personally prefer the style/feel/texture of silk screen prints, and therefore most of my collections consists of those. But I also love Jeremy Geddes, James Jean and Sylvia Ji, that have produced awesome giclees, which I have proudly in my collection.
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
downtown
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 am

dasher12 wrote:Where's the thread for the 100 color poster? i've searched and been unable to find. Can anyone provide a link?
The reason you cant find it is because it is 110 screens.

Generally speaking , screen prints are original pieces in themselves whereas a giclee is an afterthought... A reproduction based on an original piece.

Sometimes , in rare cases a finished painting is color separated using a painstaking process and then reproduced as a serigraph. Usually for a big-time gallery or museum show.
A good example is the Richard Estes 110 layer screen print done by master printer Luther Davis of Axelle.
A printer out in Cali also recently reproduced a Robert Williams painting with close to 100 layers as well.
downtown
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 am

Here is the Richard Estes 110 layer screen print.
fCon
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am

Wow, that's a screen print? Most impressive.
phriendlyone
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 am

Is that yours Anna?
TOXIC BEAUTY Records and Rock & Roll GALLERY located in Yellow Springs, OH for your poster wants and needs! (513)965-1195