What are the TRUE HOLY GRAILS of gigposter collecting?

General art-related discussion.
db23
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 am

all personal feelings aside, what are the holy grails of this hobby? i'm not a Dead fan but i know there are some. i cannot stand Velvet Revolver but know that Emek poster is one of them. what are some others?

Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:36 pm

It's probably just me, but I'd not put the VR in with those other three.

The flaw in the question is that everyone's grail(s) are different. Some folks may say a Horkey Andrew Bird. Some may go for an a Jermaine Radiohead 01. Some may go back to a Lindsey Kuhn Green Jello. It's all a matter of personal, subjective taste. It's like asking which is more desired/pursued - a Dali, Monet, Warhol, Escher, etc. -- it depends on what art calls to you.

To play devil's advocate with this even further, I'd ask if your definition of a grail is something so rare it's virtually unattainable or just the most desired pieces. Basically, does run size pull in to this? A desired piece with a run of 5 or 10 (or an original) compared against something like the green lady (with a run of 450 - or even better, the pink lady with it's 2500 run plus unsigned copies, P/Ps, etc.). What is more important to the qualification of "grail status" - the rarity or the iconic status? Or something else entirely???
Tra la la la la...
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Sorry....couldn't resist.
Ghotihead2001
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm

hawaiian aoxo
Murf the Surf
to name just 2....
this aint no party, this aint no disco
db23
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm

you have to leave personal taste out of it. there are gig posters that are highly coveted that border on fame even. i HATE velvet revolver but that poster is a grail poster as the imagery is loved beyond belief. i'd put the Emek Decemberists and Nick Cave in that category as well.

ioioos delete your post. it's stupid and Indiana Jones is not a gigposter.
db23
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm

and Yamar you're correct. i think the Horkey Bird or the Rogers Radiohead both qualify as holy grails. hard to find, expensive, etc.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Factor 27 breeders

Chantry flaming lips
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm

This was one of my Holy Grails. I was lucky enough to find it recently!

To others this might not be Holy Grail, but I want it!

This might not be a "gig" poster but again my Holy Grail.
Same fudge, different drop.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm

db23 wrote: ioioos delete your post. it's stupid and Indiana Jones is not a gigposter.
Oh c'mon dude. Get it?
HOLY GRAIL
...think about it.
db23
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
db23 wrote: ioioos delete your post. it's stupid and Indiana Jones is not a gigposter.
Oh c'mon dude. Get it?
HOLY GRAIL
...think about it.
i understood. it wasn't funny and i get more and more annoyed by movie poster collectors every day i'm on here.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:10 pm

db23 wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
Oh c'mon dude. Get it?
HOLY GRAIL
...think about it.
i understood. it wasn't funny and i get more and more annoyed by movie poster collectors every day i'm on here.
Seriously? If so that is lame.

You do know that this isn't just gig posters on this site, right?
Last edited by gonzo303 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same fudge, different drop.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Screw the F27 Breeders piece... how about either of the battle weary Willie Nelsons?

ImageImage

I'd suggest the following, although I still disagree db -- it's still all dependent on personal taste. My personal taste is that while a cool thought, the VR imagery has never struck me as being particularly insightful and I do recall that seeing that a Velvet Revolver print was on velvet... I just couldn't do it - it's why I passed on the original offering of it. For iconic imagery, there are many other Emeks that I find more iconic - you've mentioned two of 'em. I'd toss the Tool 01 and Cyberman far ahead of the VR as well.

Some other suggestions:
ImageImageImage

I can offer up a few more, I'd bet. The longer I think about it, the more that come to mind...
Tra la la la la...
desch
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Here's a few. I'm lucky to have the Tuten Pink Floyd and an original postcard of the Moscoso Hendrix. From the above post, I have a bootleg of the Rick Griffin Flying Eyeball Hendrix, as well as an original postcard of the same.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
desch
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
db23 wrote:
daviddelgadoh wrote:
Oh c'mon dude. Get it?
HOLY GRAIL
...think about it.
Seriously? If so that is lame.

You do know that this isn't just gig posters on this site, right?
Gonzo, the title of the thread was, what are the true Holy Grails of Gigposter collecting. :wink:

And DB, sorry you're annoyed by movie poster collectors, but we're here to stay. :pint:
Last edited by desch on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
db23
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm

desch, don't mind gonzo. he's schizophrenic.