What are the TRUE HOLY GRAILS of gigposter collecting?

General art-related discussion.
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm

db23 wrote: ioioos delete your post. it's stupid and Indiana Jones is not a gigposter.
Sorry, its only a joke. As for gig poster, I think my favourite is this from Tyler Stout.....
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:28 pm

not sure how to link a picture, but i'll give it a shot..
More of a personal holy grail i guess, my very first phish show, 15 years old, went with my dad and little brother on a cold snowy cleveland night, such an amazing memory and it started a long run of many more phish shows over the years. It's one i've always wanted strictly for sentimental reasons (not that it's not an amazing print, it is) unfortunatly it's way out of my price range and i doubt i'll ever have a chance to get it. why did it have to be the show emek decides to do his print for?? :hanging: oh well, maybe someday.

i guess my linking needs work, it's the phish cleveland 95 emek poster i'm referring too
Last edited by caleb on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Yamar wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote:this thread makes me think a lot of the people on this site are a fair number of years older than me. i just don't have the love for the old stuff some of you do.

if i have to pick a grail it would be

not very many of these floating around
I don't think so much, Ed. Just that many 60s or classic rock bands had a big influence on many of us growing up. And if you didn't (or aren't still) attached to more contemporary stuff, then they can still be a big part of your music. Or in my case, I kind of rotate music periodically just by what I have a taste for. As of late, it's been a solid amount of Zep, Stones, some classic Fleetwood Mac amidst some more recent things too. It all varies, but that's part of why I have a soft spot for some of those older pieces. That and they really do speak to me, in ways that I just don't feel that many modern day artists connect their work with the band they are working on/with/for.
I do understand what you're saying. I can say that I feel like I gravitate towards artists who make a connection with the band. For me personally I just don't like the older art and I know this is blasphemous but my exposure to some of the 60's and 70's band is limited. I know little to nothing about Led Zepplin and Fleetwood Mac. In the past 17 years or so of listening to music with a purpose, I've only hit on a few of the classic bands. I've spent way too much of my time listening to pop punk and ska. It's on my to do list, to learn something aboot Zepplin and some others.
RiotAct
EB Trainee

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

(someday)
1000steps wrote:Gift payments are like unprotected sex - always a bad idea with strangers... If you are gonna do it, do it with someone you trust absolutely.
geezer
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Classic Alton Kelley. My first concert in SF.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Codeblue wrote:Did anyone see the Antiques Roadshow episode with the old hippie appraiser where he appraises some Hendrix poster that he says only 100 were made and he knows of only 2 in existence (I think)? That thing was valued at like 20k.

Yes- some girl had it and I think she said her brother got it at school from a girl who went but didn't get inside

It was a kool looking poster
jojobadass
Art Freak

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 pm

AOXOMOXOA wrote:Here are 3 of my Holy Grails...

the berry dropper is very much frame worthy.

I'm a big fan of the carousel prints.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
wneff
Art Expert

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm

wneff wrote:Image
good call. i'm pretty sure that one is impossible to find. I asked Casey about it probably five years ago and all he really said was "good luck".
peacedog
Art Expert

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:01 am

"The Seed" started it all people...
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

caleb wrote:not sure how to link a picture, but i'll give it a shot..
More of a personal holy grail i guess, my very first phish show, 15 years old, went with my dad and little brother on a cold snowy cleveland night, such an amazing memory and it started a long run of many more phish shows over the years. It's one i've always wanted strictly for sentimental reasons (not that it's not an amazing print, it is) unfortunatly it's way out of my price range and i doubt i'll ever have a chance to get it. why did it have to be the show emek decides to do his print for?? :hanging: oh well, maybe someday.

i guess my linking needs work, it's the phish cleveland 95 emek poster i'm referring too
Nice first show, and good on your dad for taking you. Hope he enjoyed it too! Phishheads are so ga ga over Pollock prints, but this one I think deserves to be in this thread. Here is a working image/link:
hirschy75
Art Expert

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 am

I know some people will bitch but...

reminder: ink on paper
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 am

ceevee wrote:
caleb wrote:not sure how to link a picture, but i'll give it a shot..

Nice first show, and good on your dad for taking you. Hope he enjoyed it too! Phishheads are so ga ga over Pollock prints, but this one I think deserves to be in this thread. Here is a working image/link:
I think that this is one of the best. wish it was available, and screened :wink: duh
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 am

mtarail wrote:I loves me some classic rock. Been going through another big zeppelin phase recently. But my grails are a little more modern. My grails are only for bands that I love.I love that Horkey Bird, but for the image alone.

:clap:
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 am

ImageImage
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.