Star Wars Art Thread

General art-related discussion.
artsyfartsy
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am

downtown wrote:I think artists will be putting out Star Wars related art for years to come. My son is obsessed with the new Clone Wars animation which I must say it is amazing.
In it's own right it is deeper, darker and better written that any of the prequels.
I just stumbled upon this cubist take on Darth Vader...
this looks like tim biskup
ioioos
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:46 pm

virtualmert wrote:you guys see this yet?

Star Wars: Frames
If you're a true Star Wars fan, you can probably close your eyes and picture some of the series' most iconic moments: Han Solo as he's lowered into the carbon freezing chamber, or the bittersweet look of redemption on the face of Anakin Skywalker as Luke removes his mask. Star Wars: Frames ($3,000) is a high-end celebration of 1,416 moments like these, hand-picked by George Lucas from over one million frames of film, and reproduced across six hardcover, leather-bound volumes — one for each film — measuring 11" x 22" each. Limited to just 1,138 copies, each set arrives in a handsome wood-inlaid box, with embossed medallions of Yoda and Vader on either side, and comes with a portfolio case with a bookplate signed by George Lucas himself.
$3k for a set of screen grabs? They are really starting to scape the barrel in regards to how much money they can attempt to take the fans for. "True fans" will buy this? They are probably the the same fans that buy the space slug oven mits :lol:
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

ioioos wrote:

If you're a true Star Wars fan, you can probably close your eyes and picture some of the series' most iconic moments: Han Solo as he's lowered into the carbon freezing chamber, or the bittersweet look of redemption on the face of Anakin Skywalker as Luke removes his mask. Star Wars: Frames ($3,000) is a high-end celebration of 1,416 moments like these, hand-picked by George Lucas from over one million frames of film, and reproduced across six hardcover, leather-bound volumes — one for each film — measuring 11" x 22" each. Limited to just 1,138 copies, each set arrives in a handsome wood-inlaid box, with embossed medallions of Yoda and Vader on either side, and comes with a portfolio case with a bookplate signed by George Lucas himself.
$3k for a set of screen grabs? They are really starting to scape the barrel in regards to how much money they can attempt to take the fans for. "True fans" will buy this? They are probably the the same fans that buy the space slug oven mits :lol:
I seriously doubt Lucas took the time to “hand pick” 1400 frames out of a million.

More than likely, a low-level art director culled them down, and Lucas picked 10 frames of the 20 he was shown.
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 pm

rmoore wrote:
ioioos wrote:

I seriously doubt Lucas took the time to “hand pick” 1400 frames out of a million.

More than likely, a low-level art director culled them down, and Lucas picked 10 frames of the 20 he was shown.
Actually I always thought the same, but then I got a new book Star Wars Year By Year A Visual Chronicle and it mentions this release and shows a picture of Lucas working on it with a couple of guys in front of a computer. But yeah that doesn't really mean much. :lol: And they know this is too expensive. It had a price drop at least once I believe.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:36 pm

way to high priced, thats why I posted it. I literally LOL'd when I saw it.
:cautiously removes pants:
schmoff
Art Expert

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 am

FYI alex pardee tweeted he has a star wars empire anniversary print dropping today at starwarsshop.com
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:45 pm

schmoff wrote:FYI alex pardee tweeted he has a star wars empire anniversary print dropping today at starwarsshop.com
I dig the vader image, the bottom half not so much.

HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:48 pm

It's up, but man, $75 for a 12x8 giclee...I passed but, what, it's gonna be worth 10 times that in a month?
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
wizzack
Art Expert

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Love Pardee and ordered one. Are those logos on all the different E30 prints or is that just for the site?
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I remember when Sideshow revealed that Frames box. I would have picked one up for a couple hundred--but the price tag was and is an absolute joke for screen caps.
fCon
Art Expert

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 am

And they can't even move this box with the occasional 20% discount...

Edit: cool post count (for the geeks) :mrgreen:

swabie2424
Art Expert

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:18 pm

New from ACME Archives....

"Resurrection" from Steven Daily. Giclee on canvas... 75 piece edition size. Link:

http://www.acmearchivesdirect.com/produ ... =2494&cid=

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
markenglert
Art Expert

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Kind of Star Wars related... Storm Troopers, anyway :)

http://laist.com/2011/01/29/banksy_or_m ... =1#gallery
selassielion
Art Expert

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 am

500x_640stormtrooperfinal.jpg
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
emac
Art Expert

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 pm

selassielion wrote:
500x_640stormtrooperfinal.jpg
One of those "stormtroopers" is wearing a clone trooper helmet... ;) What is this supposed to be a depiction of?