Mr. Brainwash "surprise show" in Miami

General art-related discussion.
twilight77
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:05 am

sasquatch wrote:
hellosir wrote:
jojobadass wrote:I'm laughing my ass off right now
I laugh the once every two months when I visit your "fine art" website, and see that nothing has been added or sold. Seriously, why did you feel a need to have two sites that sell prints?

I think Mr. Brainwash is a joke -- figuratively, unintentionally -- but there's no reason to get personal like this. Jojo is good folk.
Brainwash is making some people bank. Ride that train. For sure thought it would be over by now.
hirschy75 wrote:And twilight you can kiss my ass.
trarex
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 am

I would think prices spike during a show. Isn't buzz is good for seller.
Wouldn't now be a good time to sell ? As people get interested ?
or with new things does the market continue to drop on old stuff ? because more work available ?
Flippers which is it?
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 am

Taken from the Banksy Forum-

'I agree that he is the warhol of this genre'

This is insulting.

First, this is like those people who spuriously compare every bad leader in history to Hitler because their knowledge of history doesn't extend to the 10,000 other more apt comparisons to be made.

Second learn your art history. Warhol was a movement. Just like Banksy is a movement.

Warhol actually is credited with totally original developments in art history. Here are things that Warhol is attributed as being responsible for:

1) Turning Commercial Art into Fine Art (yeah, there are a handful of contemporaries who can claim some of the credit, but no one can stake a claim to this quite like Warhol)
2) Forcing, somewhat for the first time, to have the fine art world accept the high art of the low brow objects like Tomato Soup cans.
3) He is credited for popularizing the screen print and serigraphy. So the entire concept of "prints" as we understand them now - i.e. as being numbered, having value, and , originated with Andy Warhol.
4) Is credited as the first artist to exhibit video as art.
5) Warhol developed Pop Art as a lifestyle - becoming arguably the first artist to develop a "360 degree" brand leaving a lasting empire that includes the still in circulation Interview Magazine, insane amounts of licensing, books, features, advertisements, and record producing.

Additionally, his fine art career began after a highly successful illustrating career for major brands.

Also Andy Warhol, while often erroneously credited as the father of pop art, certainly is the artist most associated with the medium. Much like Banksy is most associated with Urban art, even though he's not the father of the medium.

--

I actually am not out so much to criticize MBW, than simply to stop the bulls**t by calling out absolutely ridiculous statements about the guy.

He's not Banksy or Shep, he's not able to draw, he's not much of an artist, and he really isn't as self aware as he's credited for.

He's also contributed nothing to art and its progression that hasn't been done before and done better. I wouldn't hold that as a capital offense, plenty of artists can't make that claim.

Even his arguably his most important contribution - making art for fame and fortunes stake alone with minimal talent - is less attributable to MBW himself, than Banksy's influence in secretly filming a Documentary around him thus fueling a crazy bubble market for MBW.

And besides, even creating art solely for fame and fortunes sake using publicity and little talent - has been done before as every five to ten years post Warhol, there has been an MBW like character in the art world who through massive hype reaches some absurd height, only to fizzle out over time. (And every one of them seized upon whatever the dominant medium of the moment may be)

Clearly, MBW has secured a rather dubious place in art history. He's pretty much guaranteed a mention in any biography of Banksy thanks to ETTGS - but I'd be surprised if he retains prominence in the wider world of art in 30 years, unless he shows insane levels of progression - which is a stretch as he's now been on the scene for several years, and more often shows signs of regression than progression.

---

I really don't mean to be such a hater. If everyone was just like "Ha, funny, he had storm troopers on a wall. What a dumb but fun idea."

Or said "Look at that, he enlarged Homer Simpson and put a paint brush in his hand. That's cute."

Then I wouldn't argue. Those are VALID opinions.

Comparing him to Warhol is like comparing David Cameron, George Bush, Tony Blair, or Barack Obama to Hitler. Its just a completely ill informed comparison (I would say something beginning with an "st" and ending with a "d", but I want to respect Silky's "be nice" edict, and you're probably very intelligent and a great bloke to grab a pint with, just suffering from momentary MBW insanity)

Hell, I bought MBWs "splash heart" print from his NY show on the 'bay because I like the image and actually think its a really original urban art take on the simple image of a heart - plus I got it for a cheap price.
jojobadass
Art Freak

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 am

MBW's like a modern day picasso!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
jumpinjeza
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:03 am

MBW is like Hitler :lol: :lol: :lol:
trarex wrote:I find this very disturbing.
The only adult in that video is a black guy hanging out with the whitest 12 year olds on the planet.
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 pm

http://www.hauteliving.com/2010/12/take ... brainwash/

Mr. Brainwash and Haute Living invite you to journey through Thierry “Brainwash” Guetta’s inner psyche and get a glimpse of just what might be going on beneath this genius’ chapeau at the grand opening of his latest installation, ‘Under Construction’. I can tell you that the installation, which most don’t know is hiding within “that building across from the Setai”, consists of a great many rooms each with an incredibly different approach. What they do have in common, as Mr. B explained during one walk-through, is that “they are all meant to make you feel like you’re on a trip”—and I don’t mean across the Atlantic.

The French artist has made the space feel like it’s truly under construction; complete with oversized robot-looking structures, made entirely out of dismembered barricades, appearing to scale the exterior walls.

To see what’s going on within, come by and join us at 7pm, tonight, December 3rd. Just past the construction tape and flashing police lights you’ll find yourself in an alternate universe brought to you by Brainwash, Belvedere, Dom Pérignon and elite concierge service, The Four Hundred Club—it’s a brilliant union of top notch entities the likes of which you can always count on Haute Living to deliver.

I guess I should also spill the beans that Swizz Beatz is DJing; not that anyone should be too surprised since he’s titled his next album Haute Living, but that’s another story all together.

Friday, December 3rd
7pm

2000 Collins Ave.
Miami Beach FL 33139
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 pm

sidewaysscott
Art God

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 pm

pics are cool, but doesnt look like he's done anything different since NYC, or new.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
gorkie
Art Freak

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 pm

I am really diggin' these Mickeys...

http://www.hauteliving.com/wp-content/u ... G_0210.jpg

I want 'em.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
KNEEL13
EB Team

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:45 pm

gorkie wrote:I am really diggin' these Mickeys...

http://www.hauteliving.com/wp-content/u ... G_0210.jpg

I want 'em.
Me too! :)

Or the MBW JFK http://www.hauteliving.com/wp-content/u ... G_0227.jpg to go between my Rene Gagnon Marilyn Campbells.

I can't believe someone had the nerve to paint over the wall behind her!!! (Chocolate Vandal "Whitewash") http://www.hauteliving.com/wp-content/u ... G_0241.jpg

That's just as bad as what happened to that Robbo piece! R.I.P. Robbo. :P http://www.drseussjuice.com/2009/12/ban ... -turf-war/

Edit: Now you can't get to the large images on the blog for some reason that my link were for :( http://www.hauteliving.com/2010/12/haut ... ainwashed/
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:05 pm

twilight77 wrote:Brainwash is making some people bank. Ride that train. For sure thought it would be over by now.
It pretty much is with rare exception.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:48 pm

there is something like 45 postcards to the set....crazy amount of art

tonight is the poster giveaway!
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 pm

If you were able to grab "extras" mind helping a fellow EBer out with some postcards? I'd definately be interested in a set of em. Give away a screen print or poster (litho)?

Edit: more pics here- http://www.soulofmiami.org/2010/12/04/p ... -on-12310/
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:11 pm

southerngarden wrote:there is something like 45 postcards to the set....crazy amount of art

tonight is the poster giveaway!
What are they giving away?
schmoff
Art Expert

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 pm

i have extra NY postcards i'll trade for miami ones :)