Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
punch
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Thats ridiculous! Srsly. How disappointing.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Very cool. Something I'd love to own for $200 but not if I had to pay a flipper $500 or more for it.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
ceevee
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:38 pm

That kraft JP Detritus is Stunning! My jaw hit the desk when I first scrolled down to see it. Those will look great hanging one beside the other. Big congrats!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 pm

punch wrote:Thats ridiculous! Srsly. How disappointing.
what are you looking for at $200 bucks? His originals go for thousands.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
DarkenedShrine
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:01 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
ImageImageImage
punch
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:08 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Something a tad less pretentious? He's being a bit literal in how much of his art is worthy of a $200 price tag. Of course you guys are going to bat for this thing, which isn't surprising.

:pint: Sorry for having an opinion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:13 pm

It's cool dude. I just like to poke sticks at people when they say something didn't match their expectations.

His pen and ink works went for $500 at mondocon. And his small pieces from Hyperstoic went for $800 and were just as small and were heavily more detailed.

I just think its silly (not limited to you personally) to expect grand awesome pieces of art from this show.

The other pieces in this show are probably going to be small and not full on masterpieces.

If you didn't have to wait in line for it would you snag it for $200 if you could? If not there is no fault in that.
bootstrut
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:20 pm

I think I align with punch on this. Reminds me of Mark Ryden's submissions for the Tiny Trifecta show (way more disappointing than this). I get that Horkey's established and all, but it does feel a bit pretentious. It would have been cool to see him submit something more substantial and make 1 fan's day to buy an OG at a crazy affordable price OR just not submit anything at all. After all, he's in a completely different league nowadays.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:26 pm

I haven't been paying attention to this show at all, but could you imagine how early the line would form if there was a "more substantial" Horkey OG for $200? fudge, Mondo probably told him to reign it in so as to avoid any liability associated with buyers camping out for 2 weeks...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:32 pm

bootstrut wrote:I think I align with punch on this. Reminds me of Mark Ryden's submissions for the Tiny Trifecta show (way more disappointing than this). I get that Horkey's established and all, but it does feel a bit pretentious.
What makes this pretentious? I dont get that. It wasn't hyped or stated that "this piece of art is going to melt faces because of how grand and detailed it is".

He made a tiny painting. And thats pretentious?
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

bootstrut wrote:I think I align with punch on this. Reminds me of Mark Ryden's submissions for the Tiny Trifecta show (way more disappointing than this). I get that Horkey's established and all, but it does feel a bit pretentious. It would have been cool to see him submit something more substantial and make 1 fan's day to buy an OG at a crazy affordable price OR just not submit anything at all. After all, he's in a completely different league nowadays.
One could also argue that the fact he is submitting small (very small) paintings in and of itself is substantially hooking people up. Besides painted remarques on prints (which you cant just "get" anymore by paying for them), he doesnt do any paintings outside of his gallery work now. He could have done little Osprey like he did at Hyperstoic, those were 2x3 I think and 800 bucks. So small paintings, for 25% of that, people are crazy if they think thats not a great deal. I have what I consider a moderately hoarder level Horkey collection, and have 1 painted something and that is on the Eater of Dust scarlet prints...which for the record were a good bit more expensive than these originals are. Whoever lands these are some lucky folks.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:53 pm

plus it comes packaged in a perfect little frame, I think it's pretty cool personally
agr719
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Baker wrote:
bootstrut wrote:I think I align with punch on this. Reminds me of Mark Ryden's submissions for the Tiny Trifecta show (way more disappointing than this). I get that Horkey's established and all, but it does feel a bit pretentious. It would have been cool to see him submit something more substantial and make 1 fan's day to buy an OG at a crazy affordable price OR just not submit anything at all. After all, he's in a completely different league nowadays.
One could also argue that the fact he is submitting small (very small) paintings in and of itself is substantially hooking people up. Besides painted remarques on prints (which you cant just "get" anymore by paying for them), he doesnt do any paintings outside of his gallery work now. He could have done little Osprey like he did at Hyperstoic, those were 2x3 I think and 800 bucks. So small paintings, for 25% of that, people are crazy if they think thats not a great deal. I have what I consider a moderately hoarder level Horkey collection, and have 1 painted something and that is on the Eater of Dust scarlet prints...which for the record were a good bit more expensive than these originals are. Whoever lands these are some lucky folks.
^^^ This guy gets it :clap:

I would be so freaking excited to own something like this, from Horkey, for $200. I also love imagery like this, so I think it's a pretty great piece (rural middle TN is not the same as Windom, MN, but I grew up around a lot of similar sights).
Cinlabyrinth wrote:plus it comes packaged in a perfect little frame, I think it's pretty cool personally
Yeah, I love that feature.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Baker wrote:... people are crazy if they think thats not a great deal... Whoever lands these are some lucky folks.
yuuuuppppp
sonicboom
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:01 pm

If I had the opportunity, I would spend $200 on that without hesitation.