General art-related discussion.
sonicboom
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:37 pm

I wonder if polar bear would've counted as one word. :o
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 pm

I think it was more if you wanted Aaron to do a lettering piece, it had to be 1 word. Like, you couldnt ask him to write out the lyrics to your favorite song or something like that. Granted I also wasnt there so dont have a clue. Not really surprising though that probably many people asked for birds.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 pm

sonicboom wrote:I wonder if polar bear would've counted as one word. :o
I would have gone bankrupt to buy it off someone lol

I think goin for a bird was kind of a waste. Dude always does birds. Switch it up, take advantage of somethin new and different. Don't get me wrong, the birds are great, just super common from Hork that's all
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
jung
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:02 pm

my understanding was that you could either request a word or pick artist's choice. i know there were a couple of specific animal requests, but it seemed like most went with aaron's choice.
Image ImageImageImage Image
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Baker wrote:I think it was more if you wanted Aaron to do a lettering piece, it had to be 1 word. Like, you couldnt ask him to write out the lyrics to your favorite song or something like that. Granted I also wasnt there so dont have a clue. Not really surprising though that probably many people asked for birds.
Nope.

It was either.

Artist choice.

or

People either got to pick one word for Aaron to go on.

Most people opted for artists choice.

Only heard of a few words.

Owl, Bird, & intergalactic. I honestly think that was it in terms of words given.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Huh, interesting for sure.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
agr719
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:48 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:
Thalass wrote:Love all the sketches shown so far. I'd like to know what words people submitted to get their sketch though, especially since two of the birds are very similar. Maybe they were ordered as a set? As someone else mentioned, they look like they go together. Or maybe both guys submitted the word "bird," who knows :lol:
If you only got one word I'd have to imagine bird and owl are the two most popular. Although I would have gone with barn if I had been lucky enough to get one.
Haha I thought the exact same thing, "barn" is probably what I would have gone with. Not that I would ever have had the chance, but it's fun to speculate.

I took a bunch of pictures of some of our barns back on my family farm last time I was there... getting into Aaron's work (and Ben LaFond's photography) gave me a bit of a bug for that!
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:35 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:
sonicboom wrote:I wonder if polar bear would've counted as one word. :o
I would have gone bankrupt to buy it off someone lol

I think goin for a bird was kind of a waste. Dude always does birds. Switch it up, take advantage of somethin new and different. Don't get me wrong, the birds are great, just super common from Hork that's all
It's funny, the way you phrased it made me think of how so-called "common subject matter" has affected the value and critical reception of other artists' work. It seems to be a mixed bag though...sometimes it makes pieces more valuable because it is characteristic of the artist's style, but other times it makes it less valuable because there's other subject matter in their oeuvre that is rarer and thus harder to acquire and/or more desired by collectors.

I don't really think of Horkey in the same way because he's still active, but if I were one of the sketch buyers I'd just want a piece that looks awesome. In that sense I don't think there's any harm in playing to Aaron's strengths. It's definitely a tough call though. Opt for a totally personalized one-off kind of piece, or something more characteristically 'Horkey'? I'm honestly not sure what I would've gone with, it's a difficult choice.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:41 pm

The boar skull and the ram (I think?) are my favorites. But if I were to wish for a Horkey sketch, I would probably want a helmeted bird. The first time I saw one was a really great wtf moment. Still is, every time I see a new one.
Last edited by Diabolos80 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Considering that most folks went with artist's choice, I'm guessing the helmeted birds were ones that Aaron chose to do. I do know the one owl was by request, though.
So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:46 pm

If I had to think of something it would be a toss up between "kitten" and "jackalope"
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

I would have went with "SadVaginaTheSequel". (no spaces so counts as one word)
MGW
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:02 pm

:rolling:
- In the end it's the beast and the fowl that will reclaim the world.
Baker
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Worst...or best remarque ever. :lol: :lol:
goldenrose
Art Expert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:35 pm

agr719 wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:
Thalass wrote:Love all the sketches shown so far. I'd like to know what words people submitted to get their sketch though, especially since two of the birds are very similar. Maybe they were ordered as a set? As someone else mentioned, they look like they go together. Or maybe both guys submitted the word "bird," who knows :lol:
If you only got one word I'd have to imagine bird and owl are the two most popular. Although I would have gone with barn if I had been lucky enough to get one.
Haha I thought the exact same thing, "barn" is probably what I would have gone with. Not that I would ever have had the chance, but it's fun to speculate.

I took a bunch of pictures of some of our barns back on my family farm last time I was there... getting into Aaron's work (and Ben LaFond's photography) gave me a bit of a bug for that!
Barn would be killer. I would have picked the word "fire" or maybe "metallic" - although I would of most likely had a brain freeze :)
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter