Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
JasonSlc
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

deancc wrote:
ConstantStruggle wrote:I LOVE the bat Aaron did for bloodmilk!
Yep, looks great. Lucky lady.

http://instagram.com/p/vxYyq6EpK6/?modal=true

The newer work he's been putting out, like this, the mondocon/Hyperstoic OGs and the Lana Del Rey Lyrics are too cool. The standard meticulously rendered detail within forms and images that are pretty loose compared to the work of the last couple years, is rad. That bat is drymounting rowdy. In a lot of ways the new stuff reminds me of some of the abuse pieces, but with a whole new dynamism and skill level.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Looks like horkey is off the scope list but still shown as having a 6x6 at aqua in the latest thinkspace email. #backoff. :lol:
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:00 pm

JasonSlc wrote:In a lot of ways the new stuff reminds me of some of the abuse pieces, but with a whole new dynamism and skill level.
Good observation.

Just noticed, is that heart actually a Ouiga Board planchette.

I also noticed this on the Blood Milk Jewels IG feed:

And this page on her website: http://www.bloodmilkjewels.com/collections/planchettes

Nice personal touch there by Aaron.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Very cool. I didn't put that together.
So it goes...
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Detail shot:
aaronhorkey wrote:ThirtyThree (detail), pencil and gouache on Stonehenge, 2014. Transmitting live from a straight line ground blizzard, commence desk-bound hibernation cycle. #aaronhorkey #birthdaybat #shredmembrane
So it goes...
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Love when he does bats
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
jmcguire
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Ive been trying my hand at discharge printing, and I thought id share my latest bootleg...

Image20141124_171851 by jeffreymcg13, on Flickr
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 am

aaronhorkey wrote:Kitsune (detail), ink and gouache on paper, 2007. Part of a Japan tour poster for Converge with support via planesmistakenforstars and Envy. Thanks @jbannon for the continued support and inspiration. #aaronhorkey #converge #shroudedtails #pmfs

Pretty cool to incorporate a Kitsune (which is all over the place in Japanese folklore) into the poster for Japan. Didn't really connect those pieces until this post.
So it goes...
scumbugg
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 am

jmcguire wrote:Ive been trying my hand at discharge printing, and I thought id share my latest bootleg...
I love discharge ink soooo much. I wish the company I work for wasn't so afraid of it. This looks nice...
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:30 am

scumbugg wrote:
jmcguire wrote:Ive been trying my hand at discharge printing, and I thought id share my latest bootleg...
I love discharge ink soooo much. I wish the company I work for wasn't so afraid of it. This looks nice...
Can someone explain the process?
treynutzz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 am

Discharge ink removes the color from the shirt. Leaving the shirt nice and soft. Most shirts are printed with plastisol which is a plastic that lays on top of the shirt leaving a plastic texture. It’s pretty much the same process with both material. I know this from research, never worked with discharge so maybe the printer can give some more specific info.
scumbugg
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 am

Plastisol ink, which is used on 99% of shirts, is a plastic based ink that is heat set onto the mesh of the shirt fabric. You are left with a thick, rubbery, non-porous image on your shirt.

Discharge inks act more like a heat activated bleach. The printed area removes the pigment from the actual shirt fabric itself, and after an initial wash to remove the ink residue, you are left with an image that feels just as soft as the rest of the non-printed areas of the shirt.

TLDR: Discharge inks are soft and breathable, Plastisol inks are thick and rubbery.

EDIT: Thanks trey!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:58 am

scumbugg wrote:Plastisol ink, which is used on 99% of shirts, is a plastic based ink that is heat set onto the mesh of the shirt fabric. You are left with a thick, rubbery, non-porous image on your shirt.

Discharge inks act more like a heat activated bleach. The printed area removes the pigment from the actual shirt fabric itself, and after an initial wash to remove the ink residue, you are left with an image that feels just as soft as the rest of the non-printed areas of the shirt.

TLDR: Discharge inks are soft and breathable, Plastisol inks are thick and rubbery.
Thanks for the info. Wondered about this myself. :pint:
So it goes...
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:15 pm

scumbugg wrote:Plastisol ink, which is used on 99% of shirts, is a plastic based ink that is heat set onto the mesh of the shirt fabric. You are left with a thick, rubbery, non-porous image on your shirt.

EDIT: Thanks trey!
Thanks Guys! Can you only get shades of the material color? Or dithery make dye versions for lack of a better word?
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:57 pm

I'll need a copy of this so that I can see and feel the difference between discharge and plastisol inks. :wink: Thanks!