Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
Vedderman23
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 pm

A couple unsigned Magnetic Fields prints just ended a while ago...
bmerel
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 pm

And so it is said, so it shall be framed.

*the matting on TT is much more green than it appears. bad camera angle**
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Both of those look pretty awesome.
Baker
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 pm

So did the wife to be pick out the frames?
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
bmerel
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Baker wrote:So did the wife to be pick out the frames?

Fiance...yes, we did it together. First time I've ever brought her with me. She was so excited and happy with the result.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 pm

I like those posters, but drymount, lord of the rings wasn't that good of a movie.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Very nice frame ups. What shop do you use here in the Chicago area, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I think Baker said it correctly...

wife-to-be
Syllabification: wife-to-be
NOUN (plural wives-to-be)
• A woman who is to be married; a fiancée:
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
bmerel
Art Expert

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 pm

smellmysocks73 wrote:Very nice frame ups. What shop do you use here in the Chicago area, if you don't mind me asking?

wife-to-be

I misread...sorry Baker. Thought it said just "wife".
Sometimes i go to my guy at Degenerate Art Gallery but he was too busy so i went to my man at Michaels over on the corner of Halsted and Barry. I trust him...plus i had a 70% discount coupon. Win!!!
deancc
Art Expert

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 am

ImAMonster wrote:Anyways, I thought it would be cool to hear some stories from some of the big collectors on here.
Aaron Horkey's art is what brought me to EB and got me excited about art in general. I've always been heavily into music and music related art - was a big fan of Jacob Bannon, Aaron Turner and Derek Hess in particular - and then along came Aaron Horkey.

I got my first couple of Horkeys in 2005/06 - a Pelican promo screenprint that came in a package deal of Pelican's A Fire in our Throats... album and the SunnO))) & Boris Altar LP with Aaron's cover art. Loved the art on both but really, I'd bought those for the music and didn't look any further into it. Not long after, I was online reading something about Neurosis and there was a pic of Aaron's Neurosis poster. It floored me! I had to figure out how to get one. A search led to gigposters.com and then found EB. I couldn't believe that there was this guy who created such seriously amazing art that was doing posters for some of my favourite bands. It was too perfect. Anyway, of course the Neurosis poster was sold out at BoNA, but found there was also a BoNA Japan (before the MegaFauna days) which was awesome because I was living in Japan at the time. So, I stocked up on Horkey posters from BoNA Japan (thanks Shingo!) and since that time I've only passed on a few releases and fortunately haven't had to spend too much on the aftermarket.

When I joined here there was already a small group of loyal admirers and it's cool that a bunch are still around. Things certainly have changed since those days. I remember when people would freak out over how detailed his early posters were, most of which seem very simple compared to what he's doing now. I personally wish that Aaron's current output leaned more towards gigposters than movie posters, but it is what it is. And you certainly didn't need to worry about scoring on a drop. That said, I was up at around 4am many many times to make sure I got mine.

Love your words, smith, especially when you get on a roll.
mistersmith wrote:Skipping MWH was also one of the worst decisions I ever made, but I'll be at Hyperstoic so that helps.
Same here. Still kicking myself. Though I might be in the US around Hyperstoic time. Hope to see you there. And some other good people, of course.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am

bmerel wrote:
smellmysocks73 wrote:Very nice frame ups. What shop do you use here in the Chicago area, if you don't mind me asking?

wife-to-be

Sometimes i go to my guy at Degenerate Art Gallery but he was too busy so i went to my man at Michaels over on the corner of Halsted and Barry. I trust him...plus i had a 70% discount coupon. Win!!!
Your guy at Michael's should let you watch him do final assembly, I know I'd take him up on the offer.
bmerel
Art Expert

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 am

dasponyboy wrote:
bmerel wrote:

wife-to-be

Your guy at Michael's should let you watch him do final assembly, I know I'd take him up on the offer.
I've had the same guy do my work over there for 3 years...he does solid by me. I trust the man with my paper.
hakaider2
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 am

mistersmith wrote:
ImAMonster wrote:I've always been curious how some of the "fore-fathers" of Horkeydom like Baker, Socks, Deads, Thirdeye, srdzevon, Decker, etc. all came to find Aaron's work and start collecting? I know a bunch of them are subholders, so they go way back before most of his Mondo work. I personally found him through Mondo, specifically his Pan's Labyrinth print. Really loved his line work and nature-inspired subject matter, but really didn't have the hook set until his Return of the King MMM print. Was lucky enough to find a decent price on it in the Hook Up Thread (RIP) and it was love ever after. I think I'm sitting at 15 or 16 prints now, and can't wait for more.

Anyways, I thought it would be cool to hear some stories from some of the big collectors on here. Sorry if this has been covered before.
I've been buying Aaron's stuff since maybe 2006. There should be a separate club -- or one of those stupid "badges" the Mondo crew makes -- for everyone that passed on Nesting because it was "too expensive," then later bought it for like 4x the original cost. I initially found Aaron's stuff because I'd "discovered" gigposters in like 2004-'05, got Art of Modern Rock and was like, where'd all this come from, wow you can get super cool art with a super cool band on it for like $30 on eBay, who knew, so I started buying a lot of Derek Hess and Jermaine and then somewhere Aaron's stuff crossed my eyes and I was like, holy goddamn.

EB used to be a lot smaller, and the Horkey fan club was much smaller: I can remember the first time I talked to our dear departed (not dead, just busy being famous) ColdsoreSuperstar -- he called me after we traded some PMs, and was like, "I had to talk to you, you came out of nowhere with all this Horkey stuff and I'm like, who is this guy?" So imagine that, someone buying a whole lot of Horkey used to be noteworthy. Now it's the reason people come to EB. I'm old is all that means, I guess.

I had a BoNA sub back in the day, but like the idiot I am I didn't get the current sub. I should have, of course, but I had no idea Aaron was going to get so popular and I figured I could always get the prints I needed when I needed them, on the drop, or at acceptable aftermarket prices. Stupid me. Not going to lie: it does suck butt a little bit to know there are prints I'd really like to have but all the newbies with bots are slurping them up. Goddamn you Mondo I paid my dues! :) Buthey, he's busier and presumably making more money because of all this popularity, so if the price to pay for that is I own less stuff, so the drymount be it.

Skipping MWH was also one of the worst decisions I ever made, but I'll be at Hyperstoic so that helps.

There's no secret to buying his stuff, and there's no real "inner circle" either: just fans that had been fans for a while when some opportunities presented themselves. He's quiet and private and doesn't have a lot of use for technology so sure, it's hard to reach him directly, but there's not a whole lot of stuff that you could buy even if you wanted to, though it's not hard to piece together how to get word out that you're looking for some originals or something.

There really is a core group of a few dozen really good people digging on Aaron's work, so it's simple: the best advice is to be a fan, don't be a dick, and opportunities tend to follow.
well said! :clap:
"Is it save to say there will be no Aaron Horkey twitter account anytime soon?"
"Saver than save."
mrkyuss
Art God

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:23 am

sidewaysscott wrote:I like those posters, but drymount, lord of the rings wasn't that good of a movie.
Fuc off emo.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
Aphex139
Art Expert

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Props to whoever outbid me on the Deadwood PP this afternoon.
Dat serif 3... :drool:
ImageImageImageImage
budwhistler
Art Enthusiast

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 pm

mattlew69 wrote:I :heart: the smurf titties!!!!
lol me too!