Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Wait what....Aaron was roomates with slug and did stuff with rhymesayers?! :shock:
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Nemesis01 wrote:Wait what....Aaron was roomates with slug and did stuff with rhymesayers?! :shock:
Yes. Aaron did this Rhymesayers logo as well.

sonicboom
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Well that's pretty cool.
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks for posting that interview. Lots of great stuff in there.

Crazy to think how much life has changed for him since 2009 though. He's divorced now, and ostensibly just made it through a suicidal period--much less rosy than the image he conjures of a married life with 3 kids in the Midwest. He's also introduced by Choe as a niche artist that the world has overlooked, but now he is pretty much the king of screen prints. In the right circles, Aaron is the most popular artist of his genre. He's hugely influential now.

Also in contrast to the interview, his art has only gotten better over time, and he seems to be more prolific now. Just in the past few months he's released several prints, created new original paintings and inks for showcase in galleries, and has founded an artists collective which looks highly promising. In the article he says that he never really produced very much work and feels that he's just ripping off his own notebook sketches from years back. Hard to say if he still believes that but from an outside perspective, I find that hard to believe anymore. His work seems very thoughtful and direct these days...I don't get the impression that he's shoehorning projects into specific art styles or scenes he's already created before.

Assuming Aaron keeps on this upward trajectory, I can't wait to see the stuff he'll produce. We're looking at a guy that is not only immensely talented but also in a bit of a renaissance period as well (as cliche as it is to say that). Anyway, to cut this post short, I wish him all the best. Seems like he's in a good place now. Bring on the Horknaissance.
ayejay
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm too lazy to post them side by side but the becky sagers logo Aaron drew for me was a direct ref to this rs logo he did. Another one of the many reasons he rules.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu May 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Thalass wrote:He's also introduced by Choe as a niche artist that the world has overlooked
Prior to Mondo there were about 200 people buying his stuff (hence editions of 150, lol...that's a joke). Hell, when half of us started, 3/4 of his back catalog was still available on BoNA's site, even while nerds like us were calling him the best artist alive. As far as mainstream recognition, what, there was a Jux article and then the Pushead issue and...that's it, right? That's pretty good as far as "overlooked" goes.
Thalass wrote:just made it through a suicidal period
Rhetorical question, but where does this come from? The drymount?

Don't answer me. It's the last thing anyone needs to talk about. But, unless this is some thing he's talked about himself somewhere, there's no reason to post anything about that, if it's even true.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 pm

ayejay wrote:I'm too lazy to post them side by side but the becky sagers logo Aaron drew for me was a direct ref to this rs logo he did. Another one of the many reasons he rules.
I almost posted this in my previous post along side the Rhymesayers. :lol:

Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 14, 2015 7:35 pm

post edited/removed by mods/Yamar
Last edited by Thalass on Thu May 14, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Reposting of video removed by mods/Yamar
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu May 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Thalass wrote:No need to go calling people liars.
Dude. Come on.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 14, 2015 7:55 pm

mistersmith wrote:
Thalass wrote:No need to go calling people liars.
Dude. Come on.
I'm just saying that the suicidal bit is corroborated by someone that's a trustworthy source, according to the terms you stated. He's also the same guy that wrote that article all those years ago, so the comparison between past and present is even more apt.

But whatever man, I'd prefer to move on. This really isn't a big deal.
goldenrose
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 9:43 pm

detritus
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 9:57 pm

goldenrose wrote:detritus
^ still ISO
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Thu May 14, 2015 10:20 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:
Nemesis01 wrote:Wait what....Aaron was roomates with slug and did stuff with rhymesayers?! :shock:
Yes. Aaron did this Rhymesayers logo as well.

Holy crap...I was a huge fan of slug and rhymesayers back in the day....what a weird random and awesome connection.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Nemesis01 wrote:Holy crap...I was a huge fan of slug and rhymesayers back in the day....what a weird random and awesome connection.
He did lots of other stuff for Rhymesayers, including the graffiti for Atmosphere's Overcast EP...

...and the cover of the Headshot's tapes...

...and the cover art for The Dynospectrum..

Probably other Slug/Rhymesayers related stuff I'm forgetting.