General art-related discussion.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Very cool!
ahrkitekt
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Whale Bone Grove Japan is probably one of my favorite prints ever. My favorite might be Whale Bone Grove Japan with Yellow moon though. That Yellow moon against all those greys and black is amazing.
ISO Horkey Nesting
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 pm

So glad I picked up a WBGJ when I did. I don't know if I could ever trade or sell it
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:57 pm

WBG is probably my favorite Horkey print (though by a very narrow margin). The blue colorway is just perfect IMO. :drool:
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm

ajharrington321 wrote:So glad I picked up a WBGJ when I did. I don't know if I could ever trade or sell it
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
jools
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:19 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:
ajharrington321 wrote:So glad I picked up a WBGJ when I did. I know I could never trade or sell it
:wink:
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
murdock
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:32 pm

For the newcomers...
Hands down my favorite Horkey image ever, rivaled MAYBE by the other prints in my TOP5, but in the end the one that, for me, sums up Aaron's pre-2010 work best. And without having ewer seen the JPSGNS, the cream paper and the violet/blue psychedelic inks of this unique print edition completely put it out of this universe.
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Photobucket is blocked at work (but at least thevacvvm.com isn't yet 8) )...
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:04 pm

The Japan on smooth white is the one I like the most that or the regular edition.
You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
manonegro
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Man, I really would love a large format coffee table book of Aaron's work accompanied by some of the great stories behind the images / printing. Like the gold ink story from Detritus and this one about WBG. One day, maybe…
Image Image
ahrkitekt
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:55 pm

manonegro wrote:Man, I really would love a large format coffee table book of Aaron's work accompanied by some of the great stories behind the images / printing. Like the gold ink story from Detritus and this one about WBG. One day, maybe…
and deciding to print Detritus Japan on the chipboard that came as reinforcement with the paper
ISO Horkey Nesting
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 pm

WBG was the first Aaron print that I bought, and what made me fall in love with his work. It just spoke to me. I kind of wish it didn't and I would not be looking to drop serious cash right now.
Xander
Art Expert

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm

I love antiyou's painted Whale Bone Grove prints.
Thebialy
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 pm

mfaith wrote:
benbrlsq wrote:5/5 #BlackandWhiteChallenge. Detail of @aaronhorkey's Whale Bone Grove Japan Desaturated. (@blackosprey_megafauna edition). This beast of a print project was completed on New Year's Eve 2007. This particular version clocked in at 17 colors, all of them gray tones, with the exception of the infamous #bloodplate. Between the three color editions of this piece, nearly 50 different inks were mixed. Memories are failing us, but I believe I suggested adding the gray edition to Aaron as somewhat of a joke. We took it seriously. I became quite engulfed with this project, spending many late & lonely nights in the basement tweeking inks and hallucinating the sounds of this #surrual scene in my head. I still hear the faint flapping of the sentinel's wings and the howl of the wind on a southwestern Minnesota autumn evening whenever I see this art. I chose to use this for my final b&w challenge image because, although the actual print contains some color tones in the grays (and bloooood), as a desaturated image it still holds up incredibly solid in tonality throughout and I feel that is one of the main elements that make a great piece of art truly stand out as well executed. I am extremely proud of this piece of print work. The end. #aaronhorkey #megafauna #blackosprey #brlsq

Really interesting hearing Ben's account of this wonderful piece's birth.
im speechless.....

WBG in any colorway is such an incredible representation of Aaron Horkey's artistic ability.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:26 pm

aaronhorkey wrote:True Grit Black laser engraved top graphic (detail), 2013. This deluxe version of my 2011 True Grit poster for @mondotees was over the top in most every aspect so I figured the mark on the reverse should follow suit. I've always loved top graphics on skateboards that are unique, stand alone illustrations that are rendered moot as soon as the grip tape goes down... This doesn't quite match that permanence of obliteration but the ephemeralist in me feels content knowing it's hiding under there... #aaronhorkey #mondo #cohenbrothers #blackonblack
So it goes...