General art-related discussion.
TheBlack
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Bralumian wrote:
mtarail wrote:
TheBlack wrote:
Bralumian wrote:
Agree with the black on this one. Some Horkey's flip, but most of 'em don't. This is a great image, but between the price, the size of the run,and the fact that this image is already covered by an even larger run of Converge posters, I don't see this one flipping. I commend Horkey on the run size and the price. It hits the sweet spot of satisfying his fans, and setting a price which will pretty much make this print impossible to flip, imo.
the 'theory' that they don't exists completely in a vacuum and possibly only in this thread. you two are welcome to live a world of delusion as far as this is concerned and yes, the image is used in the converge show poster, but considering those are already selling for 5-6x their original price and given that many people seem to prefer the art print version, not to mention the fact that a majority of the show prints were snapped up by converge fans and will never be seen again, on ebay or elsewise, i stand by my original statement. there's scarcely more of these than 'midwestern heart' and it seems to me that is fast becoming one of his more sought after prints.

Sure it flips for a little while, but still willing to take me up on that bet for down the line? ;)
I'm glad I obtained this piece, however I wouldn't have sweat it for getting it for a reasonable price in the future. Horkey's don't flip.
haven
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:51 pm

veltri wrote:
Tservo wrote:Prints like To Harrow A Naif tend to build in value right away before settling down to a more reasonable price in a few months.
Yep, Andrew Bird Boston has a similar edition size to Converge and also has a strong image. The hype on that one has died down, so I'm thinking Converge will too.
I won't jump on it until prices really drop.
My speculations on future value are usually wrong, but I do think the Converge image is much more epic than the Andrew Bird.
veltri
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

haven wrote:
veltri wrote:
Tservo wrote:Prints like To Harrow A Naif tend to build in value right away before settling down to a more reasonable price in a few months.
Yep, Andrew Bird Boston has a similar edition size to Converge and also has a strong image. The hype on that one has died down, so I'm thinking Converge will too.
I won't jump on it until prices really drop.
My speculations on future value are usually wrong, but I do think the Converge image is much more epic than the Andrew Bird.
I'm sure some would agree with you, but shh!
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:56 pm

haven wrote:My speculations on future value are usually wrong, but I do think the Converge image is much more epic than the Andrew Bird.
When the Andrew Bird came out earlier this year I was SURE it would be my gigposter of the year but since then I think it's been outdone by both Tong's mogwai and the horkey converge. Some damn fine gigposters this year!
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

TheBlack wrote:
Bralumian wrote:]
TheBlack wrote:
Bralumian wrote:

the 'theory' that they don't exists completely in a vacuum and possibly only in this thread. you two are welcome to live a world of delusion as far as this is concerned and yes, the image is used in the converge show poster, but considering those are already selling for 5-6x their original price and given that many people seem to prefer the art print version, not to mention the fact that a majority of the show prints were snapped up by converge fans and will never be seen again, on ebay or elsewise, i stand by my original statement. there's scarcely more of these than 'midwestern heart' and it seems to me that is fast becoming one of his more sought after prints.

Sure it flips for a little while, but still willing to take me up on that bet for down the line? ;)
I'm glad I obtained this piece, however I wouldn't have sweat it for getting it for a reasonable price in the future. Horkey's don't flip.
Yeah, bet all you can lose and clearly any attempts at reverse psychology haven't worked. Glad you got one, but that theory is still horseshit as far as I'm concerned. Remember, there was a point where you could buy 'nesting' on the aftermarket for $300.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Does ANYONE actually have this First Blood part III book set letta mentioned in this quote? I've never seen one or even heard about it other than here.
lettawren wrote: the one dave's thinking of is from the first blood pt. III book set which was four books (one each for todd, skye, mike, and aaron) packaged in a handmade slipcase with a gocco'ed cover, cloth binding, and edition of 35. in those ones, aaron's was covered with cut up hot cross/lickgoldensky posters.

i know, i know, cutting up even slight misprints of fantomas and hot cross posters makes me hurt a little, too! but the books were beautiful when finished if i do say so myself. all handbound.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:31 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:Does ANYONE actually have this First Blood part III book set letta mentioned in this quote? I've never seen one or even heard about it other than here.
lettawren wrote: the one dave's thinking of is from the first blood pt. III book set which was four books (one each for todd, skye, mike, and aaron) packaged in a handmade slipcase with a gocco'ed cover, cloth binding, and edition of 35. in those ones, aaron's was covered with cut up hot cross/lickgoldensky posters.

i know, i know, cutting up even slight misprints of fantomas and hot cross posters makes me hurt a little, too! but the books were beautiful when finished if i do say so myself. all handbound.

Someone was selling one months ago... crap maybe even a year ago. I think Gr8dane bought it.
murdock
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Mmh... read that post... sounds WAY over the edge...! :shock:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:Does ANYONE actually have this First Blood part III book set letta mentioned in this quote? I've never seen one or even heard about it other than here.

Someone was selling one months ago... crap maybe even a year ago. I think Gr8dane bought it.
I think I remember that, but I'm pretty sure that was the magpies and vulgarities book...which based on what letta is saying (unless I'm completely mistaken) is an entirely different book. I've seen a few magpies books come up over the years but never this first blood set (that i remember).
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm

You know, I think you are right greenhorn. I just remember it was all hand bound and I'm pretty sure it was covered in a cut up Fantomas poster.
jhulud
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 pm

I JUST WANT A SHOW EDITION OF THE CONVERGE PRINT!!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?!

:P
"An angel's heart given flight by demon's wings faces certain death."
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 pm

mtarail wrote:
TheBlack wrote:
Bralumian wrote:
TheBlack wrote:Monday evening will be spent f5'ing then.
Hope to acquire this, otherwise I'll have to be patient and buy it off somebody who'll come to realise that Horkey's don't flip. So all in all I'm not that worried.
this whole idea that 'horkey's don't flip' seems really misguided. there are a few of his prints that don't flip and that's usually due to a really high initial price point to or it being an older gig poster with a larger run. something like this, an art print with a small run at a more than reasonable price, they're definitely to going flip and be sought after over the long-haul.
Nope, willing to bet on it that that's not going to happen :p
Agree with the black on this one. Some Horkey's flip, but most of 'em don't. This is a great image, but between the price, the size of the run,and the fact that this image is already covered by an even larger run of Converge posters, I don't see this one flipping. I commend Horkey on the run size and the price. It hits the sweet spot of satisfying his fans, and setting a price which will pretty much make this print impossible to flip, imo.
Oof.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 am

Codeblue wrote: Oof.
It's flipping. No doubt. But P&T probably will be selling a chunk of the gig posters in the future, which will satisfy some collectors.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:01 am

mtarail wrote:
Codeblue wrote: Oof.
It's flipping. No doubt. But P&T probably will be selling a chunk of the gig posters in the future, which will satisfy some collectors.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure that P&T won't have any of the Converge to sell in the future. They had the entire edition @ the Triple Rock, sold a fudge load at the Mpls show and I can guarantee that the rest that were held back will sell out on the current Converge tour. That said, I'm load and could (theoretically) be talking directly out of my ass... :lol:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:10 am

BoNA always has an edition.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.