Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I am so glad that I can comfortably pass on this one. The amount of detail is truly stunning, but it's just too big and I'm almost out of wall space.
I cannot wait to see these all framed up though!
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 1:21 pm

ayejay wrote:Aaron over the years has established a list of die hards, mostly folks who have bought multiple things directly from him one way or another. With very limited things, I believe he has someone reach out to that list for things like the black wood grit or subscription. I think that not having a public on sale cuts down on the amount of returns/concerns since he has very little time to do so. So some things go to public sale (like the a.bird at p&t) and others don't. Some things there are so few of it wouldn't warrant an online sale. I know longtime Horkey fans who didn't get offered stuff and got bummed. There's no way to please everyone. Since I ran Merch at Midwestern heart I know this. That was a nightmare.
Yeah but people that have bought stuff from him and took the time and effort to go to his show in Windom should have had the chance for a sub.
PapaVo
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 1:24 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:
ayejay wrote:Aaron over the years has established a list of die hards, mostly folks who have bought multiple things directly from him one way or another. With very limited things, I believe he has someone reach out to that list for things like the black wood grit or subscription. I think that not having a public on sale cuts down on the amount of returns/concerns since he has very little time to do so. So some things go to public sale (like the a.bird at p&t) and others don't. Some things there are so few of it wouldn't warrant an online sale. I know longtime Horkey fans who didn't get offered stuff and got bummed. There's no way to please everyone. Since I ran Merch at Midwestern heart I know this. That was a nightmare.
Yeah but people that have bought stuff from him and took the time and effort to go to his show in Windom should have had the chance for a sub.

Wait ... is there really a Horkey "sub" out there somewhere?
antiyou
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Can someone that talks to Aaron pass along the message that I would like to purchase a lifelong sub? Or an annual sub, if something actually exists? I've been lucky with some kind members helping me out on 2ndary market pieces. Even some crazy rare fudge (painted wbg's went to the framer today). I've ordered a jpn detritus from shingo but would love to get in on whatever sub action there is to get in on. If there's one to get in on. Re: Aaron treating his fans poorly, I disagree. I'm envious that he is in a position to shun the web. I wish I could throw my drymounting smartphone in a lake. I would just like to get put on the carrier pigeon route or hook into the string and tin can network that some collectors seem to be part of.
Won't be in a position to sell for a few months. Not likely before end of May 2014 please don't pm and ask.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu May 24, 2012 2:18 pm

There's not really a sub, not like there is for Slater/Ryan/McCarthy/etc. Don't get too fired up.

Remember pewter14's words of wisdom: if you miss this fancy paper, there will soon be another fancy piece of paper you'll have to have. It's ok.

As far as treating fans, it takes Aaron a crapload of work to make everything he makes, and he wants to spend time making things -- which means, feeding kids -- instead of emailing and coding a shopping cart and whatever. As others have mentioned, he did just give his fan club a free screenprint, and there's hints that something else is in the works too. If you've dealt with Aaron you know that he's busy, and honest, and that's really all you can ask for out of someone. He's turned me down for stuff but hey, them's the breaks. And remember, there's always breaks.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I'll let Aaron worry about making it. If I want it, I'll get it. That's my job. He shouldn't worry about who gets what, I think.
Last edited by srdzevon on Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Thu May 24, 2012 2:48 pm

I don't really mind how Aaron is handling it because it's not anything disrespectful. Buuut, I do have to say that people who weren't into him a few years ago but love his work now basically have no chance to be "in" on some of the works he puts out.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Gotta say, I've enjoyed reading the last few pages, it's clarified a few things and reinforced several long held beliefs.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm

machination wrote:
I don't really mind how Aaron is handling it because it's not anything disrespectful. Buuut, I do have to say that people who weren't into him a few years ago but love his work now basically have no chance to be "in" on some of the works he puts out.

I don't think that is true, mach. If you're nice and do good things there is always a place for another in the horkey hug room. If one is an entitled jerk that is hard to deal with...then big surprise they have a hard time getting stuff. That's just reality.
Drumavarium
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 pm

I have to say that the true Horkey fans are some of the best members on this site. I am really glad I came to the realization of how great Aaron's work is, and can see myself collecting a lot of his stuff.
Image T.H.C.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 3:51 pm

mistersmith wrote: Remember pewter14's words of wisdom: if you miss this fancy paper, there will soon be another fancy piece of paper you'll have to have. It's ok.
Yep. That's why I don't pay aftermarket prices for anything. I'd generally rather buy multiple new things at face, and I'm cheap :) .
mistersmith wrote:As far as treating fans, it takes Aaron a crapload of work to make everything he makes, and he wants to spend time making things -- which means, feeding kids -- instead of emailing and coding a shopping cart and whatever.
It's not hard to understand that Horkey is not going to be as prolific in production with his style/process. To me, that wouldn't be a reason to forego online sales. If anything, it should be the opposite to maximise profitablity on each piece. It's great that he's too busy to manage a website or sales. That's what Mitch is for :D . Similarly, most of his fans are too busy to fly across the country for a gallery show. Maybe they won't all sell out. Knowing that it probably will just

(See what I did there? Also an endangered species.)
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
jhulud
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Being that the THC was brought up a few pages ago...is it still going and can I still get in on it? I missed the window last time.
"An angel's heart given flight by demon's wings faces certain death."
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 24, 2012 4:33 pm

KSUvet wrote:
mistersmith wrote: Remember pewter14's words of wisdom: if you miss this fancy paper, there will soon be another fancy piece of paper you'll have to have. It's ok.
Yep. That's why I don't pay aftermarket prices for anything. I'd generally rather buy multiple new things at face, and I'm cheap :) .
mistersmith wrote:As far as treating fans, it takes Aaron a crapload of work to make everything he makes, and he wants to spend time making things -- which means, feeding kids -- instead of emailing and coding a shopping cart and whatever.
It's not hard to understand that Horkey is not going to be as prolific in production with his style/process. To me, that wouldn't be a reason to forego online sales. If anything, it should be the opposite to maximise profitablity on each piece. It's great that he's too busy to manage a website or sales. That's what Mitch is for :D . Similarly, most of his fans are too busy to fly across the country for a gallery show. Maybe they won't all sell out. Knowing that it probably will just
.)
Looking at your collection and judging by how long you've been a member here, the stream of whinging you've done about the way Aaron handles the sale of his wares is ridiculous. The people with the greatest access to his prints/wood variants/etc have been on this ride for years (5-7 in most cases) supporting he & his work and they are the ones who get contacted about the limited items as opposed to random online sales. Like it or not, it's unlikely to change anytime soon. In my eyes, you are far from a true fan, so you purporting to speak for 'his fans' is, again, ridiculous.

Oh, and you comparing the way he handles sales/distribution of his wares to a "punch in the balls" is laughable to the point of being offensive.
MGW
Art Expert

Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm

jhulud wrote:Being that the THC was brought up a few pages ago...is it still going and can I still get in on it? I missed the window last time.
I think I heard it might be coming around again - keep your eyes out for a tapecat.
- In the end it's the beast and the fowl that will reclaim the world.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Bralumian wrote:
KSUvet wrote:
.)
Looking at your collection and judging by how long you've been a member here, the stream of whinging you've done about the way Aaron handles the sale of his wares is ridiculous. The people with the greatest access to his prints/wood variants/etc have been on this ride for years (5-7 in most cases) supporting he & his work and they are the ones who get contacted about the limited items as opposed to random online sales. Like it or not, it's unlikely to change anytime soon. In my eyes, you are far from a true fan, so you purporting to speak for 'his fans' is, again, ridiculous.

Oh, and you comparing the way he handles sales/distribution of his wares to a "punch in the balls" is laughable to the point of being offensive.
Does Time buying = Truer fan? Can one not discover and instantly become amazed by an artist's work and dive down and learn as much as they can in a short amount of time?