New Florian Bertmer Print In The Works

General art-related discussion.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:46 am

If anything should have been omitted based off of actual letter usage it should have been the Z or Q. I can never use those things effectively in Scrabble.
THESHAPE
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:57 am

for 400 they should of reworked the whole thing to fit the w in there. im emailing moon asap.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 pm

The "W" thing is a bummer.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:47 pm

lazk wrote:Maybe you should also purchase the -

Victor Reyes "Misspelled" HPM

I dont see anything mispelled in it. :D

if i bought this set and i played with it, the "V" would be a "W" if it ended up spelling the word better.

i might have to agree with machination, i think it was done on purpose because of the width.
pathways
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I disagree. For someone who is clearly into some sort of spiritualism and the symbolism that is associated with it, I don't think he would leave out a letter for a design purpose. Most of his pieces have Alpha, Omega, inverted crucifix, unicursal hexagram, etc etc and to leave out a letter on such a significant piece seems unusual. And like ironjaiden said, something being so intricate and detailed and then to leave out a letter? Just doesn't seem right.
Image Image
aky90be
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:42 pm

I noticed some of the wording within this set is German or some other language, that might explain the lack of the letter "W"

In the Finnish alphabet, "W" is seen as a variant of "V" and not a separate letter. It is however recognised and maintained in the spelling of some old names, reflecting an earlier German spelling standard, and in some modern loan words. In all cases it is pronounced /v/. In the alphabets of most modern Romance languages (excepting far northern French and Walloon), W is little used, it can be found mostly in foreign names and words recently borrowed (le week-end, il watt, el kiwi). When a spelling for /w/ in a native word is needed, a spelling from the native alphabet, such as V, U, or OU, can be used instead.
"...youre not actually looking at Schulz-Neudamm's tones and lines, youre looking at a jpg of those tones and lines run through a photoshop filter to make them simpler for a simpler printing method. so... superior? ..."

DD -2013
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:03 pm

W's are V's in the Polish language as well.
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:03 pm

w is pronounced v in Deutsch... Warsteiner Beer, Weimaraner dogs, and the Weimar Republic for instance...pronounced with the "vuh" sound.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
FlorianBertmer
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Thank you for your interest guys. The omittance of the letter "W" was both an aesthetic and conceptual decision. It is further explained in the contents of the Hexenbrett, as well as in the following release.It references both the visual and phonetic history of German and American occultism on which this project is based.And don`t worry : this board is fully functional,we tested it quite a few times....to say the least.
The way in which you use the W is altered not diminished,so if one of you wants to contact John Wayne or William the Conqueror he`ll have no problem.

cheers,

Florian

lazk
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

I still think JESUS was responsible...
T.K.C.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Jesus Florian don't come in here and explain the thing! I'm lookin to save myself $400. Not easy when the artist has a reason for things he does that initially look like mistakes :twisted:
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:52 pm

thanks Florian for the explanation. i am really surprised they havent sold out yet.

artists should release more stuff when taxes come back and less in december. :P
THESHAPE
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:49 pm

i have to say thanks to florian also. i was a little worried when the w being gone was pointed out. i guess i also should of studied the pictures a little better before i buy.
FlorianBertmer
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 pm

no problem guys!
can`t wait to hear the stories about what happened when you used it....
THESHAPE
Art Enthusiast

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:29 pm

anything creepy happen when you guys tested it florian?