General art-related discussion.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Reading is hard.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:01 pm

bapaik wrote:I will say that all this print hullabaloo has got me to actually listen to Phish. They were not in my wheelhouse, and the jury is still out
Their style has constantly morphed, and the music they've been playing for most of the past 9 years has been somewhat more accessible to the general public at large.
May I ask your approximate age demographic?
If you're over 40, you may prefer something more recent than the 1990s.
I certainly do. (closing in on 55)
My thinking is that a sober band of fifty-somethings might not want to be blasted on stage by the kind of wild music a twenty-somehing would enjoy while hopped up on goofballs.

Believe it or not, there's an element of the Phish Fanbase that would like to see Trey get back on dope.
They are very vocal in their online disapproval of the current incarnation.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm

let me guess you hang out on PT? most phish fans are just happy they are playing, especially the ones who have been around since the 80s and 90s. anyone who saw the band during trey's dope days definitely doesn't want to go back there.
mike123230
Art Expert

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Seriously -- people want to Trey to get back on drugs? Music aside, that's just drymounted up. Also, does no one remember how shitty things got at the end? Got a buddy that hasn't gotten over the fudge show that was Coventry.
fredo
Art God

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

The albums are a different ballgame from the live tapes in the early years. IMO they were a tight studio outfit almost straight out of the gate.
Listening semi-recently, Rift and Lawn Boy have aged well, as have the more straight-ahead tracks on Junta. You kinda have to want it with Picture of Nectar though. After that.... ah recommend Billy Breathes.
just a foil for me today, thanks
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

padelimike wrote:
bapaik wrote:I will say that all this print hullabaloo has got me to actually listen to Phish. They were not in my wheelhouse, and the jury is still out
Their style has constantly morphed, and the music they've been playing for most of the past 9 years has been somewhat more accessible to the general public at large.
My thinking is that a sober band of fifty-somethings might not want to be blasted on stage by the kind of wild music a twenty-somehing would enjoy while hopped up on goofballs.

Believe it or not, there's an element of the Phish Fanbase that would like to see Trey get back on dope.
I'm 29. They're a band that I've been aware of, but I think I've sort of had a stigmatized view of them. In the sense of the type of band they are, and the fandom they have. That's derived truly of my own ignorance of the band, and maybe the cultural jokes and references made about them. As a result, I've just never ended up listening to them at all. To me, and I'm going to ask you guys this, because I'm curious of this, they're like the Grateful Dead for an 80s and 90s generation (I know GD was playing then as well). Is that a fair comparison (I don't want to be too simplistic, just how they've revolved around in my mind).

Also, I agree with what others have said, sad to hear people would want him to be on heroin. Yuck.

Edit: I just want to note, I think EB is cool because it brings poster/print lovers from all fields together. I got into it from more of a movie print/Mondo side of things. But because of EB and thus exposure to Welker, I'm listening to music I would have normally not listened to.
Last edited by bapaik on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

padelimike wrote:

To be fair, nothing will ever make those fans happy so I'd rather Trey just stay alive and never perform Coventry Glide's ever again.

:P
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 pm

stuckeyc wrote:most phish fans are just happy they are playing
Ugh - this point of view saddens me - would rather sit next to a "Phish sux now" person at a show.
If I felt that way I'd see zero Phish shows live and ONLY listen to the older shows I've downloaded from etree.
I like today's Phish more than yesterday's - by far.
stuckeyc wrote:anyone who saw the band during trey's dope days definitely doesn't want to go back there.
au contraire - folks who jumped in between 1999 and 2004 are exactly the ones who wish Trey was back on drugs.

mike123230 wrote:Seriously -- people want to Trey to get back on drugs?
"then they'd jam more man"
"melting faces every night"
"dark and scary - I want to feel like I should hide under the seats during a show"
rikkirattoe
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

bapaik wrote:
padelimike wrote:

I'm 29. They're a band that I've been aware of, but I think I've sort of had a stigmatized view of them. In the sense of the type of band they are, and the fandom they have. That's derived truly of my own ignorance of the band, and maybe the cultural jokes and references made about them. As a result, I've just never ended up listening to them at all. To me, and I'm going to ask you guys this, because I'm curious of this, they're like the Grateful Dead for an 80s and 90s generation (I know GD was playing then as well). Is that a fair comparison (I don't want to be too simplistic, just how they've revolved around in my mind).

Also, I agree with what others have said, sad to hear people would want him to be on heroin. Yuck.

Edit: I just want to note, I think EB is cool because it brings poster/print lovers from all fields together. I got into it from more of a movie print/Mondo side of things. But because of EB and thus exposure to Welker, I'm listening to music I would have normally not listened to.
I think the stereotype of what Phish is and what their fans are wildly differs from what the reality actually is when you realize you have peeled back the entire onion. IMO this band is pure magic. Never been a part of anything quite like this and I wouldn't trade my experiences I've had with this band over the last 20 years for the world.

Oh and PS, stay the hell away from PT, lol
Last edited by rikkirattoe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm

bapaik wrote:I'm 29.
You might be a good candidate for mid- to late-90s Phish.
Too chaotic for my geriatric ears, and I caught a bunch of 90s Phish.
Outside of Lemonwheel Ambient Set, I don't even listen to my own recordings from back then.
For my taste, 9/14/11 Essex tickles in all the right places, in exactly the right way.
The abject hate that was heaped on that show courtesy of the band's own fanbase is legendary.
Last edited by padelimike on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Everything I've heard has made me want to experience a concert. I may have to actively seek out that experience.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
fredo
Art God

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm

HA!
just a foil for me today, thanks
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

bapaik wrote:Everything I've heard has made me want to experience a concert. I may have to actively seek out that experience.
Great to hear - just be aware they sound very different now than they did in 2010, 2003, 1999, 1997 and 1994 for example.
And all of those years sound different from each other.
I believe there is truly something for everyone.

And David Welker's Phish Art has been a presence for the entire duration.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm

padelimike wrote:
And David Welker's Phish Art has been a presence for the entire duration.
Bringing it back around to the art (I saw Joe say we're turning this into a Phish thread ;) ), yeah I think that's what's interesting to me as well. Learning about Welker's deep connection with the band, and how they're intertwined. That's pretty cool.