What does this mean?

General art-related discussion.
krisjay
Art Expert

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I have never heard a poster described as this, is it a screen print or a litho or other? It list it as a "Color continuous tone print". I figured the art experts could help me on this one.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Basically, printing without losing any information as you do with digital or halftones or whatever: the colors are "really" there. It's the opposite of, say, the way a digital image on your computer screen looks perfect to the eye but is really just pixels -- points of color approximating the "real" image.

From a biased source:
CONTINUOUS-TONE LITHOGRAPHY
Continuous-tone lithography is a reproduction process with many of the characteristics of original stone lithography. There are no halftone or screen dots that break up fine detail and lower the perceived value of the print. Color separations are made by hand to achieve the highest possible quality. The ability to reproduce a tonal range far greater than the photo-offset and serigraph is what makes continuous- tone lithography the highest quality reproduction process in the art world today. Acrylics, oils, pastels and watercolors are reproduced on 100% rag paper, prepared canvas, plastic and many other substrates.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
krisjay
Art Expert

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Very interesting, this poster has gotten more interesting , thanks.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Isn't it a fancy word for a giclee? I thought the difference between a litho and a giclee, though both being digital printing, was that the giclee had that continuous color thing which allows it to be so precise and true in color and texture reproduction while the litho is all little dots..?
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
krisjay
Art Expert

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm

It is from 1985, maybe they just didn't use the word giclee then, also interesting.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
CHR1S
Art Expert

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 pm

A litho can mean a few different things. There's offset litho which is a form of commercial printing. Then there are fine arts lithos which can be done using metal plates or stones.

Continuous tone also refers to photography.
downtown
Art Expert

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 pm

krisjay wrote:I have never heard a poster described as this, is it a screen print or a litho or other? It list it as a "Color continuous tone print". I figured the art experts could help me on this one.
I think Tranito is right. Just an early term for giclee.
What print are you referring to ?
krisjay
Art Expert

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:09 pm

http://www.posterplus.com/product.asp?l ... d=PSP05583
I was thinking of it for my sons room, when you enlarge the image it looks inky like a screenprint. I think it is an early "giclee", I think you are right. Sounds snappier than "color continuous tone print".
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
DylanXVX
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 pm

tranito wrote:Isn't it a fancy word for a giclee? I thought the difference between a litho and a giclee, though both being digital printing, was that the giclee had that continuous color thing which allows it to be so precise and true in color and texture reproduction while the litho is all little dots..?

Litho isn't digital. Even if it's an offset process, it's still not digital. Just like a digital image can be translated into a screen print, it can be translated into a lithograph, but the process itself still isn't digital.
The Earth is not dying, it is being killed. And the people who are killing it have names and addresses.
www.dylanxvx.com