Early talk about POTY and Art Print of the Year

General art-related discussion.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:27 am

1)What are you going to vote for_Poster of the Year for 2010?

2)What are you going to vote for_Art Print of the Year for 2010?

3)Who is the artist of the year in your opinion?

Thanks, let's get some feedback here :shock:

Who are your favorites? Let it be known...
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:32 am

1. Midwestern Heart

2. Still hoping there will be a print from the Chris Berens show at Roq la Rue in Oct. If so I assume it will either be that or the Flight of the Black Osprey assuming that gets released this year.

3. I don't know. Normally I'd say horkey but he really hasn't done much NEW this year. On the other hand i've been underwhelmed with most of the poster artists this year.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
pjtaper
Art Freak

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:33 am

Probably Sperry's Dylan print
Fairey Neil Young
Sperry, only question I am 100% sure about!
Last edited by pjtaper on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
coleslaw
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:38 am

1)POTY-Santana Universal Tone Tour 10 Hunter
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/123113

2)Art Print of the Year-Dragonfly Sun 10 Everett x/11 SN
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121183

3)Artist of the Year for me is Chuck Sperry.

My favorites this year are Sperry, Hunter, Everett, Spusta, and Wood.
Last edited by coleslaw on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
db23
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:41 am

i think it's absolutely ruh-tarded y'all are talking about Sperry's Dylan poster being poster of the year when none of you have it in hand. not to mention Chuck has so many better posters from this year.

anyway, Rhys Cooper Them Crooked Vultures - gigposter of the year
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

Santana Universal Tone Tour 10 Hunter

not sure yet....i'm lame
Sperry.

Who are your favorites?
Sperry, Hunter, Everett, Spusta, Wood,
Forsman, Brabant, Punchgut
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 pm

db23 wrote:i think it's absolutely ruh-tarded y'all are talking about Sperry's Dylan poster being poster of the year when none of you have it in hand. not to mention Chuck has so many better posters from this year.

anyway, Rhys Cooper Them Crooked Vultures - gigposter of the year

I didn't think I would come across anyone making sense in this thread.......until this post.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Most have seen Sperry's Panic posters which are very similar... and Sperry's other work.
We all know the printing is not going to suck one bit.
Doesn't seem far fetched at all to give Chuck the POTY nod.
Now that I have it sitting on the kitchen table in all it's glory I would guess anyone talking fudge just missed the on sale.... it's awesome.
Hell, I got shut out of the on sale too... because it's probably the poster of the year. :P
It's Chuck's year and this is one of his best prints of 2010.
Personally I like his Jerry Joseph better but i would like to ensure a victory for him... he deserves it by miles so far.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Now ^that^ was making sense. :pint:
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:03 am

Gotta give the #2 Art Print nod to Lifted by Josh Keyes for now... still have a bunch of good fudge coming down the pipeline I 'magine before the New Year.
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
sasquatch
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:12 am

1. Emek Pearl Jam or Guy Burwell Pearl Jam
2. Shepard Fairey Neil Young or Jay Ryan/dan McCarthy collab
Artist of the year: Emek or Burwell
Printer of the year: chuck Sperry
Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 pm

turnJBup wrote:Most have seen Sperry's Panic posters which are very similar... and Sperry's other work.
We all know the printing is not going to suck one bit.
Doesn't seem far fetched at all to give Chuck the POTY nod.
Now that I have it sitting on the kitchen table in all it's glory I would guess anyone talking fudge just missed the on sale.... it's awesome.
Hell, I got shut out of the on sale too... because it's probably the poster of the year. :P
It's Chuck's year and this is one of his best prints of 2010.
Personally I like his Jerry Joseph better but i would like to ensure a victory for him... he deserves it by miles so far.

whoa whoa slow down boy....no one said it was far fetched......and don't cry sour grapes. by all means, I think this is one of the better posters this year and a great argument could be made that it is the best......and I would give my nod to Sperry as artist of the year so far for his consistency and top notch printing(although, between you and me, I really always think Jay Ryan is every year) , but I just agree with db23 in that I don't even think this is his best work, but it's Bob drymounting Dylan. sure it sold out quick, an artist on fire with an iconic performer at a historic venue who does not have many good posters made for him, duh....sure it is going to be sought after by collectors, flippers and dylan freaks/geeks galore, but to me, that doesn't make it poster of year, for me. that's what is good about this hobby though....different strokes for different folks.....I actually like the new Burwell Pavement poster better.....voted for it as POTW....and I wouldn't call it sour grapes either, I'd like to have it sure, but don't HAVE to have it, but happy to hear you enjoy your copy.....I could've had the gold one......thought hard about it.......but passed......I'd rather use that cash for a certain shellac poster with squirrels attacking toilet plunging astronauts....more my style, and I HAVE to have it.

I still suport this statement:
db23 wrote:anyway, Rhys Cooper Them Crooked Vultures - gigposter of the year
you say juan pierre, I say ryan howard - BTW Phils just put up 9 in the 7th against the rockies.......three dingers.
krisjay
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Gigposter of the year: Goldenvoice 100-101 Sperry/Hunter(so far)
Art Print of the year: Not sure yet, possibly Hatelove Malleus
Artist of the year: Chuck Sperry(Don't see that changing)
Still along ways to go, but who knows.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
edgar
Art Expert

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 pm

krisjay wrote:Artist of the year: Chuck Sperry(Don't see that changing)
You mean you're not going w/ Emek? I thought he was your fav? Or were you his?
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Truck, I was just giving Sperry props... yes I agree the fact it's Dylan and The warfield help the cause for sure.
His printing is the fudge. Yes it is weird to say a poster will win before people have seen it but we know what to expect from him.
His printing blows away Guy Burwell's... Guy would probably be the 1st to agree.
And I am a huge GB fan, he's in my top 5 artists in art and coolness.... great to work with. I mean buy from.. :P

Nice time to be playing well... Phils have a great chance if they keep playing teams out west. :)
I am an sucker for low payroll underdog teams so I am rooting for The Friars.
Just had to say something about Howard... my whole gripe was the amount of K's.
5 K's in one game and my peanut gallery alarm goes off.
It probably goes back to HS days we didn't have a fence in our park... we never had any sluggers. Just small ball and lot's of contact.
Good luck homie.