Early talk about POTY and Art Print of the Year

General art-related discussion.
kyle
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 pm

tranito wrote: It's Moss first defining piece and established him as the only movie poster artist on the scene that can play in the same league as Stout.
you forgot about Ansin :wink:

*edit* i should have kept reading :lol: this was covered
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
kyle
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

just wondering....

why is everyone on this Olly Moss bandwagon.

<---doesn't get it
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
krisjay
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:25 pm

kyle wrote:just wondering....

why is everyone on this Olly Moss bandwagon.

<---doesn't get it
Personally, not on it myself.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
kyle
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:34 pm

that was probably a dumb thing for me to say, but i am curious about the appeal.

i can see that the images have clever arrangements/references, but once the cleverness makes a home for itself in your mind you take that aspect for granted, and then you are left with an illustration that isn't really much to look at in and of itself.

it makes EXCELLENT advertising, just not the type of image that gets hung on a wall and stared at.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Hollyweird should use more artists like Moss to advertise their films. I'd love to see them in the lobby of my local cinema. Really nice work, but I stopped hanging movie adverts long ago. If I had a home cinema, he'd be one of the first artists work I'd go after. "There Will Be Blood" is the best IMO.
krisjay
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 am

I can certainly see the appeal for the recent silkscreen movie poster craze if , like you say you have a home cinema, but other than that, just not for me, well, I'd take a nice Evil Dead, but just because I love that movie.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
krisjay
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:54 am

Shaw/Donovan colab should , I think be in the discussion. If not the regular version, certainly one of the variants.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
desch
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:56 pm

krisjay wrote:Shaw/Donovan colab should , I think be in the discussion. If not the regular version, certainly one of the variants.
Underrated choice as well as Hunter's Isle of Wight print.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
krisjay
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Even though myself, I think the regular version is the best. Just an opinion.
Burn, baby, burn!!!!
RITFW
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:22 pm

kyle wrote:that was probably a dumb thing for me to say, but i am curious about the appeal.

i can see that the images have clever arrangements/references, but once the cleverness makes a home for itself in your mind you take that aspect for granted, and then you are left with an illustration that isn't really much to look at in and of itself.

it makes EXCELLENT advertising, just not the type of image that gets hung on a wall and stared at.
Damn Kyle. It's like you take the words out of my brain and then post them. Sometimes you know what I'm thinking before I even know.

I totally agree with you regarding Moss. It's not my cup of tea.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 pm

or
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:23 pm

RITFW wrote:
kyle wrote:that was probably a dumb thing for me to say, but i am curious about the appeal.

Damn Kyle. It's like you take the words out of my brain and then post them. Sometimes you know what I'm thinking before I even know.

I totally agree with you regarding Moss. It's not my cup of tea.
Olly Moss is very much a designer first rather than an illustrator. This will work quite well for some people and not for others, just like everything else. He's very Saul Bass-esque, which is nothing to be ashamed after (quite the contrary, actually). But, like you guys, I don't prefer putting those types of posters up on the walls. I want something relatively clean, but intricate enough that I can stare it for a long period of time or it's something I can find new things in each day.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Having worked as a Copywriter/Art Director in a past life, I can appreciate the genius of Olly when it comes to use of space, wit, creative design, colors, subtle details, etc. Kind of stuff that wins C.A. awards all day long. Beyond that, I only own the Star Wars set, have yet to see 'em in person, so it's beyond me... and I still don't get how is Evil Dead is anything but kinda cool... :wink:

Edit... I'm leaning towards either 'Lifted' by Keyes for 'Through the Night' by HUSH for print and Sperry's 'Dylan' or Begley's 'Full of Hell' for poster. Kinda excited to see what all qualified :pint:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
kevron62007
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:33 am

Okay I am biased but I thought this was an awesome print by Visual Technicians

bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:08 am

that is a pretty spot on art print. Great job by visual technicians.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant