Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
JAWilmesJr
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
desch wrote:
HappaHaoli wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:This is fine to post listings in. I think it bothers them more when you post in the actual Poster listing.

Might as well add them though to give everyone a heads up. Man I seriously was contemplating buying that for a second.
That would have hurt but was definitely tempting to get it under a grand.
I agree, but I only pondered and struggled for less than a minute, so I'm the guilty party that snagged it :oops:
Wish I could of got it for what JAWilmesJr got his for, but I'm ok with it. :pint:
Wow you guys are super tempting me to sell mine. Under a grand is a deal now? Sweet christ how things change in a few short years. :shock:
Tell me about it, I thought I got one for about half of what I thought they would sell for now. I guess I did a bit better than that, and yeah an "extra" $1,200 right now would be pretty amazing but oh what a sweet print she be.
Goonies never say die!
tranito
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:00 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
tranito wrote:Prices are a bit inflated atm if you ask me.
Haha if you owned one you'd be singing a different tune :P
There's no way I would own one of these knowing I could get $1k for it. I would make the trade for the money with someone who thinks it's worth it in no time, so it is very hypothetical. :wink:
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:18 pm

No question in my mind. If I owned that print...I'd be looking to get an extra $1K+ in my bank account right now.
gonesolo
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 pm

What did these sell for originally? I'm not mad that I missed out on these since I had no idea about Mondo at the time. That said, I really hope to find a BR for a reasonable price one day (under $1000).

It's been pretty quiet on the Mondo front this week.
Codeblue wrote:Oof.
jedz316
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:15 pm

gonesolo wrote:What did these sell for originally? I'm not mad that I missed out on these since I had no idea about Mondo at the time. That said, I really hope to find a BR for a reasonable price one day (under $1000).

It's been pretty quiet on the Mondo front this week.

they sold for 25-30 bucks two years ago... hehe quite the climb.
gonesolo
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Yep. Great investment. For now, I can't wait to see his Star Wars poster. OMG the possibilities! :twisted:
Last edited by gonesolo on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desch
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Even though I'm the one who purchased it for the inflated price, surprisingly I agree with Tranito. I certainly wish I could have gotten it for less, but I'm cursed with an impatient personality (also purchase fever in the midst of an ebay last second feeding frenzy) and a real desire to get what I like. No one's really sure if these are going to become available in the near future, (just like the Blade Runner variant I recently bought). So I took a chance and spent the cash. The bottom line is, they were still affordable to me and I didn't buy them as an investment. I bought them because I love the movies and absolutely love the artwork. There are no other posters of these movies that look quite like this. True classic Americana pop art if I've ever seen it.

Unfortunately, I found out about Tyler Stout's work just in the last few months. I've been purchasing posters since the late 90's up until about 2004 (mostly at Flatstock in Austin). Then I was on a hiatus from poster purchases until this year. Other interest's, among other thing's, kept me from being involved in the poster habit. In those early years, I didn't know of ways to make purchases or get info on the internet about the posters and their artists. Sites like Wolfgang's Vault were all I knew (and they really only carry older posters). I will add that Tyler's isn't the only artist I find I'm passionate about. But for better or worse I've got some artwork that I'm going to enjoy immensely.

Lastly, I want to add that I thank (and curse :wink: ) EB for existing. A forum for my passion existed that I didn't even know about and am glad I found it! Now I just need to quit purchasing for a bit and get some more stuff framed (will be getting some stuff back from the framer including that Blade Runner).

So thanks everyone for listening and I apologize for driving up the price on the artwork. :oops: It definitely wasn't my ultimate goal.

Hope to enjoy my future here on EB.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:26 pm

desch wrote:
Even though I'm the one who purchased it for the inflated price, surprisingly I agree with Tranito. I certainly wish I could have gotten it for less, but I'm cursed with an impatient personality (also purchase fever in the midst of an ebay last second feeding frenzy) and a real desire to get what I like. No one's really sure if these are going to become available in the near future, (just like the Blade Runner variant I recently bought). So I took a chance and spent the cash. The bottom line is, they were still affordable to me and I didn't buy them as an investment. I bought them because I love the movies and absolutely love the artwork. There are no other posters of these movies that look quite like this. True classic Americana pop art if I've ever seen it.

Unfortunately, I found out about Tyler Stout's work just in the last few months. I've been purchasing posters since the late 90's up until about 2004 (mostly at Flatstock in Austin). Then I was on a hiatus from poster purchases until this year. Other interest's, among other thing's, kept me from being involved in the poster habit. In those early years, I didn't know of ways to make purchases or get info on the internet about the posters and their artists. Sites like Wolfgang's Vault were all I knew (and they really only carry older posters). I will add that Tyler's isn't the only artist I find I'm passionate about. But for better or worse I've got some artwork that I'm going to enjoy immensely.

Lastly, I want to add that I thank (and curse :wink: ) EB for existing. A forum for my passion existed that I didn't even know about and am glad I found it! Now I just need to quit purchasing for a bit and get some more stuff framed (will be getting some stuff back from the framer including that Blade Runner).

So thanks everyone for listening and I apologize for driving up the price on the artwork. :oops: It definitely wasn't my ultimate goal.

Hope to enjoy my future here on EB.
Stuff's worth what you're willing to part with to get it. I bought The Thing poster two years ago from Mondo when it came out. Was $30 + $8 shipping if I remember correctly. If I didn't own it and one popped up for $700 I'd buy that one too. *shrug*

On a side note I think like 6 of us in Denver now own this poster. 303's got good taste and hella disposable income :)
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:45 pm

So to those old skool EBers who are here over a year or so, are movie poster screen prints becoming even more in demand in the last year or so, or has the interest been growing equally every year. I have only been collecting screen prints for a year or so. I used to collect old movie posters...but am now more focussed on screen prints. Even in this short time span I feel its getting harder to acquire one during a drop? What say the older members? Have they become a more mainstream collectible? Websites like Slashfilm and Twitchfilm are advertising these more and more...

btw, I'm still a sucker for original eighties/nineties sci-fi & horror posters (pride of place include Scarecrows, Prison, Hardware, Death Machine, The Lawnmover Man etc..) :clap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
selassielion
Art Expert

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06 am

gonesolo wrote:Yep. Great investment. For now, I can't wait to see his Star Wars poster. OMG the possibilities! :twisted:
Wishful thinking. I could be wrong, but I think he had mentioned at one point that he's not doing one.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:24 am

The economy has no effect on poster collecting. Anyway, what's the word on this week's drop? :)
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 am

rubberneck wrote:So to those old skool EBers who are here over a year or so, are movie poster screen prints becoming even more in demand in the last year or so, or has the interest been growing equally every year. I have only been collecting screen prints for a year or so. I used to collect old movie posters...but am now more focussed on screen prints. Even in this short time span I feel its getting harder to acquire one during a drop? What say the older members? Have they become a more mainstream collectible? Websites like Slashfilm and Twitchfilm are advertising these more and more...

btw, I'm still a sucker for original eighties/nineties sci-fi & horror posters (pride of place include Scarecrows, Prison, Hardware, Death Machine, The Lawnmover Man etc..) :clap:
Yeah things have certainly exploded this year it seems. They've always been collectable but there once was a time even a red hot poster would sit on Mondo for a day or two and you could take your time about pulling the trigger.

Dude if any of the top artists did a Hardware poster I'd fudge. :shock:
gonesolo
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 am

selassielion wrote:Wishful thinking. I could be wrong, but I think he had mentioned at one point that he's not doing one.
Say it ain't so, Joe, say it ain't so...
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

gonesolo wrote:
selassielion wrote:Wishful thinking. I could be wrong, but I think he had mentioned at one point that he's not doing one.
Say it ain't so, Joe, say it ain't so...
I'll say I heard otherwise. You never know what games Tyler could be playing. With a series this big, they would be stupid not to include Stout, IMO.
Same fudge, different drop.
charter
Art Expert

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I would bet that Tyler is doing one. Justin would be crazy not to get a Stout Star Wars. :shock: Someone email Tyler and ask if he is doing one. If he says he can't talk about it then he is doing one and if he says no then he isn't.