Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 pm

I do like the Akira print, just can't justify spending that much on a poster that's not Detritus, WBG Steel Gray, or Nesting. I like Stout but not at those prices. Hopefully this one comes down in the future, but with so few of them available I'd be very surprised if it did.
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
Jon1701
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm

CrustaR wrote:
Jon1701 wrote:
camaroz06 wrote:lol, I thought I would have a chance to pick up an Akira print for under $500 on ebay. They're going for 700+ as the auctions come to a close.

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference in prices between variant/non-variant either which is interesting. Having seen both, the variant is much nicer.
Man, if I had a The Thing print, I would totally trade that for an Akira variant. :lol:

Having the variant thats something i'd consider lol... Seen people offering it for a set of Stout Variant Star Wars which is excessive if you ask me.
“Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. Boom, a sad desk. Boom, sad wall. It’s art. Anything is anything.”
Flimby

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 pm

i won't lie i can understand some supply and demand talk. i am an econ major so i can't help it.

so here is my query after seeing some of the insane trade offers (sw set? come on now):

if the run was the same as kill bill and they were made avail in the same fashion would they go for more or less than kb?

i say lower. not knocking the print or the method at all. just saying.

please opine.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Flimby wrote:aside from all the money talk,the thrill of the chase is a drug. fact. and the sweet isn't as sweet without the bitter.
if i hadn't been smoked on MANY sought after releases, i wouldn't appreciate the scores as much.
no doubt. Both the Star Wars drop & Kill Bill release had my heart racing and adrenaline pumping.
RiotAct
EB Team

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Flimby wrote:if the run was the same as kill bill and they were made avail in the same fashion would they go for more or less than kb?

you are correct. Would be shocked if the regular sold for $350+ on eBay if it had a print run of 600 like the KB did. While the Akira print is nice, the KB is miles better.
clem99
EB Team

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:36 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Flimby wrote:aside from all the money talk,the thrill of the chase is a drug. fact. and the sweet isn't as sweet without the bitter.
if i hadn't been smoked on MANY sought after releases, i wouldn't appreciate the scores as much.
no doubt. Both the Star Wars drop & Kill Bill release had my heart racing and adrenaline pumping.

its been ages now, i wouldn't know this feeling anymore, my line of work doesn't lend itself too good to sleep deprivation either, thanks god mondo have silly release times
art is the only justification for pain :)
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:38 pm

RiotAct wrote:
Flimby wrote:if the run was the same as kill bill and they were made avail in the same fashion would they go for more or less than kb?

you are correct. Would be shocked if the regular sold for $350+ on eBay if it had a print run of 600 like the KB did. While the Akira print is nice, the KB is miles better.
I think both are equally awesome, but I enjoy both movies equally. I think it all depends on which movie you like more. As far as the "value" goes, I'm sure there are as many Akira fans as there are Kill Bill fans, so I would bet they would sell for an equal amount if the run were the same.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:41 pm

JustinIshmael wrote:He didn't copy/paste stuff from existing pieces of art, as far as I know. And, he did it in like a week or something insane like that.
Wow. That is impressive. I would not have believed it if you hadn't of told me. It is practically indistinguishable from the film itself.
Flimby

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:43 pm

as much as the first few sales look goofy, i will believe anything.
i remember a few years ago on the kidrobot board someone was giving some other person a hard time because they paid dearly for vinyl.
anyhoo, the person responded with pics of their setup at home in korea and all i can say is it was like something out of a james bond film.
live and let live.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Sure does make all of the silliness on the day of the MMM tix drop seem worth it though, for those who scored ...

That event sold out in a blink, which I thought was roughly 100 seats. It sounded like they moved to a bigger theater, increased the print run size, yet they only let a handful of standbys got in? I'm honestly a bit confused on how the math on that worked out.
Olto
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Tservo wrote:I do like the Akira print, just can't justify spending that much on a poster that's not Detritus, WBG Steel Gray, or Nesting. I like Stout but not at those prices. Hopefully this one comes down in the future, but with so few of them available I'd be very surprised if it did.

I just pulled the trigger on one at a pretty high price. 180 run, only sold there, signed by Tyler, special event, etc. -- add that all up and I don't see this coming down at any time in the future. Looking at Kill Bill validated that for me. The prices are maybe leveling off in the most generous interpretation, and that has a run 3x the size of this. Yes, maybe more popular. If you're a Stout collector, this might end up becoming one of the more difficult prints to get given the limited nature of its release and the extraordinarily small run size. I'd jump on now before these get stored in flat files / framed and only a few are on the market per year.
dirkadirka
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Just read this description on ebay for one of the Akira Variants and had to put it up. I thought the regular looked better but to each their own.

Note: This is a variant. That means its better than the "regular" version. If someone is just selling a "limited edition," "signed," or "out of 180" that means that it is not as good as this print! This print is was limited to 80 and therefore more collectible!
catchalltheprints
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm

FlapJack wrote:Sure does make all of the silliness on the day of the MMM tix drop seem worth it though, for those who scored ...

That event sold out in a blink, which I thought was roughly 100 seats. It sounded like they moved to a bigger theater, increased the print run size, yet they only let a handful of standbys got in? I'm honestly a bit confused on how the math on that worked out.

Yeah all the information about this release was so skewed. I called Mondo and they said the showing was SOLD OUT, then it turns out they let people waiting in?

:hanging:

If I knew they were letting people in who didn't have tickets, I would have rushed out there.

How is that even right?
Last edited by catchalltheprints on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 pm

I liked the one that calls it a 'regular variant' for the regular edition one. :wink:
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
alngtheway
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm

catchalltheprints wrote:
FlapJack wrote:Sure does make all of the silliness on the day of the MMM tix drop seem worth it though, for those who scored ...

Yeah all the information about this release was so skewed. I called Mondo and they said it was SOLD OUT, then it turns out they let people waiting in?

How is that even right?
It was sold out. But if people don't show up and there are open seats, then they let people who were waiting in. At least I assume that's how it went down since I wasn't there. Don't see what the problem with that is.

Ever gone on standby for a flight? Same concept.
Last edited by alngtheway on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.