Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 pm

I think it would have been cool to just have a showing of Akira on the schedule with no other comment, and nobody in the crowd except for fans of the movie. Then you surprise the crowd that night and the Internet explodes the next morning when people realize what they missed. Imagine just going to a movie because you're a fan, and then from out of nowhere they have cupcakes, and Tyler Stout, and a new poster or two. It would blow my mind.
charter
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Have you mind blown and then be blown by whoever in here wanted the poster :lol:
MastaMonk
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:43 pm

dylansdad wrote:I think it would have been cool to just have a showing of Akira on the schedule with no other comment, and nobody in the crowd except for fans of the movie. Then you surprise the crowd that night and the Internet explodes the next morning when people realize what they missed. Imagine just going to a movie because you're a fan, and then from out of nowhere they have cupcakes, and Tyler Stout, and a new poster or two. It would blow my mind.
Damn, and I though F5ing (command Ring for me) for hours was bad. People would go to every film at the Alamo in hopes a limited print! Would be great for business, not so good for poster addicts... :crazy:
Flimby

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:45 pm

please tell me some kids were in attendance
would be a really cool way to get a little one into this
CrustaR
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Flimby wrote:please tell me some kids were in attendance
I didn't see any. :(
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
busstees
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm

dylansdad wrote:I think it would have been cool to just have a showing of Akira on the schedule with no other comment, and nobody in the crowd except for fans of the movie. Then you surprise the crowd that night and the Internet explodes the next morning when people realize what they missed. Imagine just going to a movie because you're a fan, and then from out of nowhere they have cupcakes, and Tyler Stout, and a new poster or two. It would blow my mind.
I dunno...In theory that sounds like a blast to me because I love movie poster prints, but I think that would lead to a lot of posters being rolled up with rubber bands and no one would have a tube with them to put them in. Also, I personally don't think an Akira showing on the schedule would sell out unless there was a reason (poster) behind it. I could be wrong.

Also, I'd bet that most of the people in the theater, if they aren't into this whole poster scene, would see a $60 or $130 price tag on a poster and think it was crazy to pay that much. There would be a lot less posters sold and in turn the fans who really want them would have to pay even more then the crazy prices they're at now to get one from someone.
busstees
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:48 pm

CrustaR wrote:
Flimby wrote:please tell me some kids were in attendance
I didn't see any. :(
I think Akira, as most adult animes, is a little too much for a little kid. It's not really a LITTLE kid's movie.
Flimby

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:50 pm

yeah i know
i think the whalens would be cool as a kids series
send them a frame and then they can switch out the same size prints every month or whatever

yes. i am an enabler.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:53 pm

I guess nows as good a time as any to tell an Akira story. My buddy and I got three days in-school-suspension for convincing a teacher to play Akira in 7th grade. We put the VHS in a plain white sleeve to avoid the big "DON'T SHOW THIS TO KIDS" sticker on the actual sleeve. We got yelled at when the one clown rips the girl's shirt open, and dragged to the office by the time the second or third handful of pills was eaten. Good times. Also we didn't serve one day of the suuspension due to the ISS teacher being our football coach.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm

charter wrote: But it's not that simple. If print edition numbers rise, it takes longer to print, pack, and ship. So, the number of print releases per year decreases. If everything was an open edition or an edition of 2000-10,000, we wouldn't be getting so many releases a year. They would still be shipping out Stout and Olly Star Wars.
Well if prices didn't decrease the additional prints would bring more revenue and be able to hire another packer/shipper. They should be able to maintain the same service time by maintaining the same packing cost per print structure.

There certainly is an opportunity to capitalize more in the short term, but the publicity they get is building their brand and opening the doors for maintaining a business model for the long term.
emac
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Alamo doesn't allow kids under 6 and under-18s had to be accompanied -- but I didn't see anyone who looked under 18, personally.

Glad that the "damage" was planned -- hadn't had time to backread and see the jpegs. :)

Oh, and re: rubber bands -- that's how the handed the posters to you last night, even if you brought a tube.

The Mask punk nearly got me. I had eve said in line that I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that, and then I was caught up with getting in and totally forgot about it! Only a handful of us were waiting around for standby, and I think we all got in. :) Many thanks to rainbolt, Justin and manager Kody.

Now, as to the actual movie -- I loved that they showed a subtitled version instead of dubbed, the experience was great, I'd do it again, but I wasn't a fan of Akira after seeing it last night for the first time. The movie is iconic and groundbreaking, but too disjointed IMO. Also, I was genuinely creeped out by the old "kids" who looked like zombies and the stuffed animal attack and the giant fleshy monstrosity at the end. :shock: It was worth seeing (I'd been meaning to for years), but after seeing it I can now say I'll stick to other anime without creepy kids. ;)

Oh, and Japan
charter
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 pm

FlapJack wrote:
charter wrote: But it's not that simple. If print edition numbers rise, it takes longer to print, pack, and ship. So, the number of print releases per year decreases. If everything was an open edition or an edition of 2000-10,000, we wouldn't be getting so many releases a year. They would still be shipping out Stout and Olly Star Wars.
Well if prices didn't decrease the additional prints would bring more revenue and be able to hire another packer/shipper. They should be able to maintain the same service time by maintaining the same packing cost per print structure.

There certainly is an opportunity to capitalize more in the short term, but the publicity they get is building their brand and opening the doors for maintaining a business model for the long term.
The only thing about that is if something isn't a hit and they have a ton left over and/or the number of prints sold decreases because there are no more flippers then their profit margins are gonezo.

There really is no easy fix. Mondo has found a good place so more power to them. No complaints from me. 8)
Stingers
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm

I don't think anyone is advocating bumping print runs by every artist ...
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm

charter wrote:
FlapJack wrote:
charter wrote: The only thing about that is if something isn't a hit and they have a ton left over and/or the number of prints sold decreases because there are no more flippers then their profit margins are gonezo.

There really is no easy fix. Mondo has found a good place so more power to them.
Agreed, and I think that is a problem for the long term. I think there is definitely enough short term demand to expand the short term supply and hire another shipper/packer or two to keep up. We agree that is not the best long-term strategy for them ... and neither do they apparently.

I'm not so sure a site like expresso beans would exist if these were unlimited runs or much more plentiful runs of artwork. This is a community that is built on swapping this for that, and also on being being jealous of each other's limited prints. JMHO

Also, it is really pretty cool that there are guys like Justin, Mitch, and others dropping by to give special info to this community ... not to mention the artists that post here.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Flimby wrote:yeah i know
i think the whalens would be cool as a kids series
send them a frame and then they can switch out the same size prints every month or whatever

yes. i am an enabler.
In my son's room (he's 3) we've got a couple 24x36 and 18x24 frames on his walls. Once every couple of weeks he goes through the flat file (he's got his own drawer) and picks out "new" posters to display. His current favorites are Brad Klausen's TRON, Jay Ryan's Honey Badger and Alex Pardee's Basket Case (he calls Belial "Huggie Monster"). At one point he had Stout's Big Trouble in Little China up in there but he wanted to change it out because "the lady's fingernails were way too long". I score him all these totally age appropriate posters and print him one-offs of stuff he likes all the time but he goes nuts over the heavy hitters. Little monkey tried to tell me all my DRAN posters were going in his room because they have kids in them :)