Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
bdm105 wrote:got around to seeing Inside Llewyn Davis and really enjoyed it. Hoping Mondo does another oscar night like last year and has something for this one.
If they do, I'll buy it. Freakin' loved this movie. Probably my favorite of 2013.
the only problem i see is what will the movie be nominated for. I'm not sure if any of the songs were original so that leaves screen play, direction, and cinematography in my mind. this year had too many other great selections for best actor.
matowest
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 pm

bdm105 wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
bdm105 wrote:got around to seeing Inside Llewyn Davis and really enjoyed it. Hoping Mondo does another oscar night like last year and has something for this one.
If they do, I'll buy it. Freakin' loved this movie. Probably my favorite of 2013.
the only problem i see is what will the movie be nominated for. I'm not sure if any of the songs were original so that leaves screen play, direction, and cinematography in my mind. this year had too many other great selections for best actor.
It had at least one original song ("Please Mr. Kennedy") and I'd say it will almost certainly be nominated for best actor, director and cinematography.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 pm

bdm105 wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
What about the songs for Oh Brother Where Art Thou? Was that soundtrack nominated? I knew at least a couple of those were traditional folk songs too.
stormking
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
bdm105 wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:
What about the songs for Oh Brother Where Art Thou? Was that soundtrack nominated? I knew at least a couple of those were traditional folk songs too.
None were original, actually, but most had modern versions (just like Inside Llewyn Davis). The only problem is there is only a category for Original Score and Original Song. "Please Mr. Kennedy" could still be nominated though
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm

stormking wrote: None were original, actually, but most had modern versions (just like Inside Llewyn Davis). The only problem is there is only a category for Original Score and Original Song. "Please Mr. Kennedy" could still be nominated though
Here's an interesting article on why "Please Mr. Kennedy" can't be nominated.

It's a fun song and cool part of the movie. I really liked ILD.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 pm

Isn't there still 10 best pic nominations? ILD won't squeeze in there? (haven't seen it)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 pm

FlapJack wrote:Isn't there still 10 best pic nominations? ILD won't squeeze in there? (haven't seen it)
The number can vary. It's some weird formula or something now.
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 pm

ILD was great, but i doubt it will get nominated for any acting awards. Maybe best film, director, and music.
stormking
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
stormking wrote: None were original, actually, but most had modern versions (just like Inside Llewyn Davis). The only problem is there is only a category for Original Score and Original Song. "Please Mr. Kennedy" could still be nominated though

Great read. Thanks for the info. At least now I won't have to split my loyalties between ILD and All Is Lost (for musical categories at least) :lol:
Cheese318
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:58 pm

Scottjohnston wrote:ILD was great, but i doubt it will get nominated for any acting awards. Maybe best film, director, and music.
Bout to watch that tonight actually. Screener quality so I am looking forward to it. So far my favorite flick this year is Wolf of Wall Street. I thought Leo and Jonah were awesome in the movie. Not sure what everyone else thought but I definitely liked it better than American Hustle. AH was a good movie and I thought Jenifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were great in that movie.
bdm105
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 am

Cheese318 wrote:
Scottjohnston wrote:ILD was great, but i doubt it will get nominated for any acting awards. Maybe best film, director, and music.
Bout to watch that tonight actually. Screener quality so I am looking forward to it. So far my favorite flick this year is Wolf of Wall Street. I thought Leo and Jonah were awesome in the movie. Not sure what everyone else thought but I definitely liked it better than American Hustle. AH was a good movie and I thought Jenifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were great in that movie.
Haven't seen AH yet but will get around to it soon. So far i was most entertained by Wolf but i think 12 Years a Slave will win over it. I think Gravity will be the one nobody saw coming. Dallas Buyer's Club was also great. Still need to watch Her which is supposed to be very well done as well.

A lot of Oscar competition seemed to have come out of nowhere especially for best actor
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 am

RottenAtom wrote:

Couldn't get the song out of my head
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 am

Minimum of 5 Best Picture nominees, maximum of ten. So far, all the years that it's been like this have had nine.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 am

c0bbz wrote:Minimum of 5 Best Picture nominees, maximum of ten. So far, all the years that it's been like this have had nine.
The Blind Side :vomit:
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 am

RottenAtom wrote:
c0bbz wrote:Minimum of 5 Best Picture nominees, maximum of ten. So far, all the years that it's been like this have had nine.
The Blind Side :vomit:
... is pretty much Casablanca compared to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Good lord does the Academy make some terrible choices.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image